All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I still don't understand how this progresses to a double up easier? I generally only ever see double ups performed in allstar the way ICE made up, which to me is more like a traditional full up than a crossed leg. I always describe an ICE double up as a stand up to prep -> press full around to extension -> walk the group a half. Only it happens all at once.

I describe a cross legged full up as more of an unwinding of the flyer than a step and rotate.

So how does a cross leg full up become a double up? Do you walk one full rotation?

Why you have wrist pain... and what you mean by not a cheerleader (maybe I forgot to read one of your posts). Do you cheer?
sorry I never answered you. I just saw this. Anyway. I'm not a cheerleader or never cheered. I'm only a fan of cheer. You said something about getting a front spot. So I answered I wasn't a cheerleader. My injury came from my job years ago. I guess I should have been more specific and not put me in the question. My question should have been if bases with former wrist injuries had problems with this grip.

I still don't understand how this progresses to a double up easier? I generally only ever see double ups performed in allstar the way ICE made up, which to me is more like a traditional full up than a crossed leg. I always describe an ICE double up as a stand up to prep -> press full around to extension -> walk the group a half. Only it happens all at once.

I describe a cross legged full up as more of an unwinding of the flyer than a step and rotate.

So how does a cross leg full up become a double up? Do you walk one full rotation?
The cross leg doesn't make the progression easier, the ruby slipper one does. Personally I don't understand it and am still waiting for the video we were told was coming...

Anyone that knows how to do this...
Do you change the way you grip when doing it to two feet instead of one? When thinking about it I would think it would that way the secondary is holding on to the left foot the whole time.

Was thinking about it today and I think I know how this works. Instead of the double up with the knee under and the foot behind you are in a smoosh with your legs open at a 90 degree angle and your ankles together. The full up and the double up start the same and it is a significantly easier style of fullup. I might try and film it for you all.

Was thinking about it today and I think I know how this works. Instead of the double up with the knee under and the foot behind you are in a smoosh with your legs open at a 90 degree angle and your ankles together. The full up and the double up start the same and it is a significantly easier style of fullup. I might try and film it for you all.

Please, please, PLEASE!!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

So we did it tonight for my youth 3 team for full up to two-foot elevator. All but one group hit and that group was close.

Main starts where secondary usually is. Secondary starts in back. Back starts in main base spot. Just like the photo in the thread.

Main grabs toe of right foot on the outside with right hand (so thumb is by the toes and pinky is towards the middle of the foot)... this is the foot they hold on to the whole time. Then they grab toe of left foot with left hand... this is the foot they toss.

Secondary grabs heel of left foot with right hand, they have to reach around the right foot and make sure their arm is under everyone else's so they don't get tangled. Their left hand is tossing butt/thigh, like the backspot normally does.

Backspot grabs left ankle with left hand and then reaches around and grabs right ankle with right hand. This helped my team a ton! The backspot held the hold time and was able to lift and help with the spin.

While doing all of this everyone steps towards their normal stunting positions.

My team who struggles with stunting liked this way much better once they got their brains wrapped around it. The group that struggled were trying to spin it right away. The two groups that hit it the fastest were the groups where the flyer pushed off the bases, stood tall, and were super tight.

I hope that helps some!

this is the picture that caitlyn_the_camille tried to post, which was also posted on @cheerupdates:

BtZa5s3CQAAgSgC.jpg

Okay, I'm really trying to get this into my head but I'm stuck on the grip of the main's right hand. From the way it looks (and the way @Morgankay88 describes), its not the way a main would usually grip for a full up. I'm sitting here trying to simulate it with a shoe but I cannot see any other way than releasing the foot for a moment in order to reach a grip at extended level that can be used to really hold it up there. If I don't release the foot at all, I can twist it only so far that the flyer's toe would point away from me...
Is the main to let the foot rotate the rest in her open hand or what am I not getting? Please help me out, I'v got my brain in knots. xD

Guess I'm coming close to killing for a close up video of this. ;)

Uhm okay, nevermind, I think, I was tring to spin it too much. ^^ The flyers right foot online spins 3/4, correct?

Uhm okay, nevermind, I think, I was tring to spin it too much. ^^ The flyers right foot online spins 3/4, correct?

Yup, the flyers right foot only spins 3/4 of the way. Left foot snaps to it and then finished the rest of it's 360 spin.

Typically, from what I've seen at least and know, when doing a double up with the cross-leg, the bases catch after 1-1/2 rotations (and facing the back) and walk a half rotation.

Didn't CA Panthers use the cross-leg for their double ups in their routine? I can't quite make out if they're using the cross leg for their double ups, but it looks like they are....Look at 1:45

Last edited:
Back