All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So does the flyer spin 1 3/4 rotations in a double-up?

If you go by the torso / shoulders the flyer does a double up. The ruby slipper grip makes it easier because the hips are not doing a full twist and it is connected the whole time.

If you go by the torso / shoulders the flyer does a double up. The ruby slipper grip makes it easier because the hips are not doing a full twist and it is connected the whole time.

but aren't full/double ups scored on how many hip rotations? or no?

but aren't full/double ups scored on how many hip rotations? or no?

Ehh... in theory. Let's be honest: if someone does this and does a 'double up' it will get counted as a double up. Until someone with video is breaking down difficulty of skills and who is doing what these types of things will get counted by what they look like in a split second.

And, IMO, that is part of the game. Throw as many low risk high scoring skills as possible.

So, does the grip change in order to make it a 1.5 or double up? Or do the bases just walk more while twisting?
If so, how exactly does it make it easier than coming from a regular full up? Is ist because the flyer is already used to the starting stance?

In the beginning of this video, that is how we do 1.5 and double ups (that was our first time trying double ups so please ignore that it doesn't come all the way around - on the plus side, we're trying hard not to turn before the actual skill is thrown ;) ):

Grips do change for 1.5/2 up, though I couldn't begin to explain it. I've done 1.5 ups and I throw differently, but I don't think I've used this for double ups.

I'm still a little confused. Can you use the ruby slipper grip to do a full up to one base? Does anyone have a close up video yet? ;)

I think I'm going to love this grip. Just last night my coach was getting some groups to work full ups. I HATE full ups, about three years ago we were practicing them and I got a good kick in the neck and had to sit out for 8 weeks while my trachea healed... coincidentally Kenny from Spring was actually at that practice. He was using his Burberry scarf to tie our fliers feet together while working doubles, he's crazy.

Back