All-Star Save Youth 5 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah I posted that one in another thread and someone else posted the raleigh one in the same thread...but it's all good...no harm in seeing it more than once :)

im just playing devils advocate... but why is it that Cheer extreme are the only ones really pulling to save youth 5?

as the age grid stands now...
all of these kids in this video, can be on a junior 5,
all of those kids that said they're going to try really hard to make youth 5, can try really hard to make junior 5

that beasty girl with whip double double, can no doubt base juniors,

those tinys girls looks like flyers on youth 5

im only pointing them out because they were in the video, i just don't see how eliminating youth 5 really makes any difference for good or bad other than creating more competition in the junior 5 division.

I believe that the whole issue is yes they could be on a junior team but why? A youth team is where they should be based on their age. How many 6,7,8,9 year olds have something in common with 12,13,14,possibly 15 year olds (if their b-day is after the cut-off)? I personally dont think that children with such a wide age gap should be on a team together.

I believe that the whole issue is yes they could be on a junior team but why? A youth team is where they should be based on their age. How many 6,7,8,9 year olds have something in common with 12,13,14,possibly 15 year olds (if their b-day is after the cut-off)? I personally dont think that children with such a wide age gap should be on a team together.

think of it this way... the girls in that video throwing specialty to fulls and doubles were 9, 10, and 11... how is them being on a junior squad any different than a 14 year old cheering with 18 and sometimes 19 year olds on senior squads?

Love the video but, how many of these kids cross to junior 5 teams?

that's what i was thinking too. No doubt YE is a great team, and i absolutely love the youth 5 division. But all these videos and big outrages over changing the rules seem kind of ridiculous to me. Obviously i don't know the whole story, and what goes on behind the scenes, but i think that decisions should be made for 2 reasons: to benefit the sport and help it grow, and for athletes safety. There is so few youth 5 teams out there now with the current rules. With limited tumbling, more teams will have the oppurunity to join the division, and the athletes will be able to progress better, and not wreck their little bodies. Also, with limitations, teams are going to look stronger and better than ever, which will aid their confidence, and progression. I love seeing 8 year olds throw doubles- but theres not enough of them too try to keep this division alive. Limit tumbling and there will be better routines, healthier athletes, and more competition. And if you want to throw that double, join a J5 team, or wait and get your form even better.

okay. Rant over. carry on

I am not from CEA but I am sure they have younger athletes on the team.

Average age of our team this year is 9.2 years old. This was just the kids who could make it to the gym with about 6 hours notice. School, other extracurricular and family activities prevented many kids from being able to make the video taping. This is just a small handfull of the kids on the team. And it happened to be the "older" ones.

These are the points that are made:

The change will increase competition-if gyms don't want to compete against the close to 10 gyms that can put youth 5 teams out now, why will they when the teams are just as amazing with restricted skills? And what's stopping them from competing a small youth 5 team? If it's for the kids development then they won't care so much about winning, but feel special because they can be part of a youth 5 team, and they've been told how special that is

Safety-the same kids will throw the same skills on different teams. In fact smaller gyms are worse for trying to force youth age kids into junior teams when they are not ready just for the skill count

Benefit the sport and help it grow - that happens when coaches start their kids off and teach them proper skills. The coach also gives them realistic expectations of their performance BEFORE they get to a competition and realistic goals to achieve. Notice its not about winning at all, it's about development of the kids. The kids will stay with the gym because they achieve their goals and know their coach loves them.

I think that you guys are all forgetting the fact that changing the rules isn't going to magically create brand new teams that would then compete in youth 5. It would be mainly consisting of teams that already compete youth 5 or compete youth 4. Why do we need to take teams away from youth 4 just so they can be called level five athletes?

As for safety considerations being involved in this discussion, learning a full is just as hard, if not harder than learning a double. In fact, learning a back handspring can be considered dangerous too. I personally broke my wrist when I was first learning a back handspring. The responsibility of ensuring an athlete's safety is on the coach and the athlete themself. If a group of athletes is not ready to compete level 5, then it is the coaches responsibility to put them into a level that is more appropriate for them.

As nice as the video was, from a tumbling perspective, I don't think you really made the point that you probably were intending! There was some good technique, however the majority of the passes shown where very poor examples of good technique developed through proper progressions--as it seemed that progression was what you were trying to point out? I no longer have a fight in the whole debate, just saying from a highly competitive gymanstics and cheer background!

I think that you guys are all forgetting the fact that changing the rules isn't going to magically create brand new teams that would then compete in youth 5. It would be mainly consisting of teams that already compete youth 5 or compete youth 4. Why do we need to take teams away from youth 4 just so they can be called level five athletes?
I don't think it's just so they can be called level 5 athletes. If they move up to level 5 they have to push themselves harder to get the skills and compete against harder teams. It will benefit the athletes who move up not just with giving them the title but in that they'll push themselves harder and improve. And if they're working that hard as little girls, just think how awesome they'll be when they're seniors.

Back