All-Star Save Youth 5 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is it just me it did maybe two girls have good technique? I think that really plays into safety! And for that matter judges should not be scoring these tumbling skills well at all because of the lack of technique which decreases the difficulty of the skill. I would submit this video to Debbie Love's website for review and see what her objective view is.

I will say it again. There is more to youth 5 than tumbling. These are young children. Many of whom are just learning to control their bodies. Their perfection will come. It's the coaches job to fix their form and technique. But, you cannot fix it if they never throw it. I think the best place for kids like these is on a team where it is expected that they will not be perfect, where they will not be pushed to keep up with the older kids, where the coach has the option of exchanging the shaky full for a layout. What about proper mounting of elite stunts? Double downs? Kick doubles? Catches and releases? Pyramids? Respect for your coaches? Listening? Concentration? Sharing? Goal setting? All of these things are taught on Y5, at a speed the younger kids can adapt to, using methods that work for their age group. Sure some of these kids will crossover to a junior level team. But, do you drop all of your basic level courses because you take one honors course? Would doing so, be the best thing for you socially and developmentally?

I just don't know how anyone can look at those little children on those videos and want to limit their opportunity to perform the skills they've worked so hard to attain. There is more to this than winning, and perfection. I'm done.

I will say it again. There is more to youth 5 than tumbling. These are young children. Many of whom are just learning to control their bodies. Their perfection will come. It's the coaches job to fix their form and technique. But, you cannot fix it if they never throw it. I think the best place for kids like these is on a team where it is expected that they will not be perfect, where they will not be pushed to keep up with the older kids, where the coach has the option of exchanging the shaky full for a layout. What about proper mounting of elite stunts? Double downs? Kick doubles? Catches and releases? Pyramids? Respect for your coaches? Listening? Concentration? Sharing? Goal setting? All of these things are taught on Y5, at a speed the younger kids can adapt to, using methods that work for their age group. Sure some of these kids will crossover to a junior level team. But, do you drop all of your basic level courses because you take one honors course? Would doing so, be the best thing for you socially and developmentally?

I just don't know how anyone can look at those little children on those videos and want to limit their opportunity to perform the skills they've worked so hard to attain. There is more to this than winning, and perfection. I'm done.

I'll go through the bolded sections one at a time:

1. Not true. In teaching a skill, the athlete must know the proper technique and have done many drills before throwing the actual skill so they know how to perform it correctly. In most of the twisting skills I saw on the video, there was no set and toe snap before a twist was initiated, which concerns me because that technique should be taught in level 4 and even in level 3. So to say form and technique cannot be fixed until you throw a full or double is false.

2. A coach who wants to win at all costs, which unfortunately most coaches do, will not water down a tumbler's pass because no credit will be given in a level 5 routine for throwing a layout. That child will be taken out of the running tumbling section and either stand in the back doing nothing or be part of another section while the tumbling is happening.

3. I saw "those little children" and thought to myself, most of their ankles and legs are not strong enough to be landing with crossed legs, or short for that matter.

Simply coming from a pragmatic view.

I'm not a coach and can't speak to 1 but for number 2, have you seen our routine? LMAO They throw at least 10 layouts....maybe 12. Don't know haven't counted but I guess I could.

Personal question since you mentioned ankles. My 11 year old seems to twist her ankle alot in jumps to back but not running tumbling. Do you find this to be true of other athletes you know or is she just quirky?

I'm not a coach and can't speak to 1 but for number 2, have you seen our routine? LMAO They throw at least 10 layouts....maybe 12. Don't know haven't counted but I guess I could.

Personal question since you mentioned ankles. My 11 year old seems to twist her ankle alot in jumps to back but not running tumbling. Do you find this to be true of other athletes you know or is she just quirky?

I think you just defeated the whole purpose of saving a youth level 5 as it stands now? Why have level four tumbling skills in a level 5 routine? Also, you are saying that 1/3 of the team is not a TRUE level 5 cheerleader! If the argument Courtney presented as the main proponent for saving youth 5 is that the "NJ friends [] are trying to delete this division in a self serving way to even their playing field", I don't see how restricting the tumbling would even the playing field because a team with 1/3 layouts in running tumbling will probably have layouts in standing tumbling and can definitely be beaten.

And I think you increased the validity of my point in regards to the strength of ankles. If your daughter is CONTINUOUSLY hurting her ankles on a skill, why would that not put up a red flag that something is wrong either in her technique or she is not ready to be throwing that skill?

I haven't defeated anything. The layouts of today become the fulls of tomorrow.

I'm sorry I asked.

I haven't defeated anything. The layouts of today become the fulls of tomorrow.

Very true. I'd love to see great progression, but going from a level 2 team to a level 5 team is not really a logical progression.

My 10 year old twists her ankle at least once a week just walking across the gym, lol...maybe just the age? but yes, they do seem to injure themselves doing things you wouldn't assume would cause harm...

:rolleyes:Well, we see how physically healthy most gymnasts stay. They never have any injuries, due to their progressions into the next skill.:confused:

I think you just defeated the whole purpose of saving a youth level 5 as it stands now? Why have level four tumbling skills in a level 5 routine? Also, you are saying that 1/3 of the team is not a TRUE level 5 cheerleader! If the argument Courtney presented as the main proponent for saving youth 5 is that the "NJ friends [] are trying to delete this division in a self serving way to even their playing field", I don't see how restricting the tumbling would even the playing field because a team with 1/3 layouts in running tumbling will probably have layouts in standing tumbling and can definitely be beaten.

Perhaps it's because that's one of the points CEA has been trying to make. These are athletes all aged 11 and under, to be out there performing a new skill whether it be a layout, full, double, jumps to back, etc. will make the child excited and build confidence for future skills. If you tell an 8 year old they're not good enough to tumble in a routine, where at 70% of their competitions they won't be going against anyone anyway, you aren't doing your job as a youth aged coach. This is where you build confidence and the "performer" in kids. Who cares if you don't get points on the scoresheet for the skill? They don't take off for putting it in the routine, so is it really a bad thing to go home with an athlete that is grinning from ear to ear because she got to do her layout at a real competition? Plus you still get the trophy or jacket or whatever you won?

And how many youth kids are all around athletes at whatever level their competing on? I can almost guarantee you that more than 75% of youth teams compete with kids that are "out of level" in one aspect of the routine or another. Ricky from Senior Elite didn't have a full but I'd take her over a decent base with a decent full any day of the week! She more than makes up for her lack of tumbling by being amazing at something else. Are you gonna tell her she didn't deserve to win worlds since she isn't a "TRUE level 5 cheerleader!"? Part of being a good coach is being able to work with what you've got, and if that means you have to have 10 layouts if you want 7 great stunts, then so be it.

Back