All-Star Save Youth 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think I heard 2 arguments regarding Youth 5 - Safety and growing the competitive arena. Do you think if the large division drops to 30 would have an impact on increasing the competitive arena. If all things equal talent wise would you drop your 6 based on age and keep them more age appropriate levels?

That is a very good point, if the large jr 5's are losing 6 kids, that most likely could make 6 level 5 youth aged athletes available for a youth 5 plus the 6 kids from large Sr 5 Restricted that potentially are youth aged in combination with restricted rules should grow the division to a decent size

Youth 5 needs to stay-i know of 7, 8 and 9 year olds with double fulls, how can you turn around to them and say sorry but you have to way 3, 4 or 5 years to throw that skill they've spent endless hours working toward? putting them on a Junior team isn't the answer either, it's not fair to true junior aged flyers who b/c of the size difference would have to base these 7, 8 and 9 year olds. Because there is no Youth 5 team in Raleigh and there is Youth aged Level 5 skill in Raleigh some of those girls who cannot make the drive to Kernersville are on Small Junior 5, it's extremely noticeable which of those girls had the experience of Youth Elite the year prior; they are cleaner, tighter and understand L5 stunting tumbling and choreography, Their tumbling is stronger, and cleaner, their baskets are better executed and cleaner, their double downs out of stunts as well show the technique they LEARNED while on a YOUTH L5 team. Youth 5 needs to stay to teach these young athletes L5 skills in an environment that suits their age. Teaching these young kids at the Junior level, level 5 skills defeats the purpose of progression. They learn from experience if they don't get the experience in the youth division how is it expected to be known and executed in the Junior and later on Senior divisions that are much more competitive. If anything the safety level drops.

if the reason for eliminating Youth 5 is for safety concerns, how do you justify that without a bottom age cutoff for jrs? wouldn't all these gyms then take their talented youth kids and put them on jr teams? it defeats the purpose..........restrictions i can agree with, but again only for safety reasons
my feelings are the same for changing the bottom age on seniors.........jrs were eliminated from going to Worlds because they felt Worlds should be saved for older kids, yet there are numerous sr teams that have 12 yr olds on them.....again, defeating the purpose.....
having a minimum age for both jrs and srs would in turn create more youth and jr level 5 teams which in turn would create stronger sr 5 teams down the road

Question: If youth 5 became restricted to fulls only would youth aged kids who had and wanted to showcase their skills be allowed to compete doubles and more "advanced" sequences in individual routines?

IMO if this was the case and they were allowed to compete individual doubles but not in teams then this would allow more teams to be youth 5 and up the competition but also allow youths who have worked hard to achieve those goals to showcase and compete their individual talents. This would keep them "warmed up" for their junior level 5 years on up.

I hate to think that a young girl is competing a double full and winning major national championships on a level five team when they are youth aged, and then have ALL of juniors and seniors with VERY little too look forward too... I recognize that there is a certain level of prestige being on an older team and there is obviously worlds, but it's hard for some people to get really excited about doing the exact same thing for 8 years... JMO

I just wanted to point out that Emileigh has been level 5 since she was 8. She is now 13. This is her 4th year on junior 5 and has 2 more to go. She loves all of it. Has never gotten bored or wanted to quit. Every year brings new adventures and new challenges. Some years have been amazing, others she wanted to crawl in a hole and cry most nights. But through it all, she has never thought she had nothing to look forward to. :)

I don't understand why it is so important to change the rules to try and convince teams that should be level 4 to move up to level 5. Why can't it just be that level 4 is the most competitive youth division? I don't think that those athletes that have worked hard for their skills should have to downgrade just to make it a more level playing field. This is why the level system is how it is to begin with. If you don't have the skill to go level 5, go level 4 and be competitive there. This just seems like a way to water down the prestige (sp?) of being a level 5 cheerleader.

I never said we should eliminate it at all..re-read...I used the sloppy argument to argue that we should restrict the tumbling allowances. Geesh..so many of you are ready to argue and snap your fingers that you lose your ability to comprehend. I said RESTRICT level 5 tumbling so young kids can focus on fundamentals instead of JUST tumbling, so when they are senior-aged , they too won't look sloppy. If you are a level 1-4 where tumbling is not as huge a deal your team is still sloppy, then I don't know what to tell you.

I've actually spoken to a person who is at the center of this and even she agrees that YL5 is all about tumbling at the expense of 1.) safety and 2.) basic fundamentals

I don't know if I buy this "nothing to look forward to" stuff. If you're out just for the win of a national championship, why aren't all these young athletes giving up now? ANY aged kid can get burned out, but I don't think the winning of a national championship, or Worlds for that matter EVER becomes boring. If they love the sport, they will continue to want to thrive and win those competitions.

and once you win worlds...i guess there is no reason to cheer anymmore?

I vote for restrictions, but DO NOT eliminate the division our current youth level 4 team is planning on going level 5 next season and I am soo excited to see it !!!

There is no guarantee that more programs will field Y5 teams if there are restrictions in place. Youth Elite or Twinks with squad fulls and full ups will still beat KB Willis Allstars with 5 fulls and poor stunting technique. Tumbling is only one part of the scoresheet. My problem with the restrictions is that a "good" youth team is not always the team who wins...it's the team who endures over the years to see the result of consistent coaching. CEA lost to WC for 8 years before they beat them once, and they were still in second to Rays Teal. But, now, those same kids who were losing as youth, are stunting perfect stretch to stretch tick-tocs on Jrs. For the majority of these kids, their technique is automatic, because while they were still impressionable, it became habit. Youth is the time to build your L5 technique in tumbling, jumps AND in stunting. If Mini 3 disappears, and Y5 is restricted, when will that technique be learned?

A double full will always just be a double full. But, as stunting becomes more and more difficult in L5, there needs to be more time spent by coaches teaching that technique to younger and younger kids. I know this is true, because it has worked at CEA and the results are clear. Waiting until junior age to teach these skills WILL lead to injury. As kids get older, they become more resistant to instruction. Boys, fear, and hormones all come into play.

Finally, youth is the time to hook kids on Allstars. It's the time for small victories and breakthroughs. Imagine your first time kick doubling...just like the big kids! The first time Raven caught a double down, she was hooked! She had found what she was good at and even today, she takes great pride in teaching the youth backspots how to do it right. You cannot buy that time back and it shouldn't be frittered away because you are too lazy or impatient a coach to slow down, teach proper tumbling, jumps, motions AND stunting L5 technique; field a few "good" but losing Y5 teams, and wait out the results of careful coaching at the mini and youth level.

I honestly don't think this division will be eliminated unless all the small gyms band together to vote no on it...which i don't know why they would. But it seem there is a strong drive behind restricting it. I think CEA needs to be ready for that possibility.
I think the reason everyone is throwing the "boredom" factor out is because Jamie Parrish (?) mentioned it in regards to extending time for level 5's to allow for more creativity. I believe he said he talked to an athlete that cheered for 8 years level 5 and then stopped when he asked her why she told him it got boring doing the same thing every year.
And in regards to the whole "but Y5 is where they perfect their skills", explain gyms that historically don't have Y5 teams but dominate their level 5 divisions?

I honestly don't think this division will be eliminated unless all the small gyms band together to vote no on it...which i don't know why they would. But it seem there is a strong drive behind restricting it. I think CEA needs to be ready for that possibility.
I think the reason everyone is throwing the "boredom" factor out is because Jamie Parrish (?) mentioned it in regards to extending time for level 5's to allow for more creativity. I believe he said he talked to an athlete that cheered for 8 years level 5 and then stopped when he asked her why she told him it got boring doing the same thing every year.
And in regards to the whole "but Y5 is where they perfect their skills", explain gyms that historically don't have Y5 teams but dominate their level 5 divisions?

I explain it by saying that it is obvious that their coaching staff took the time, when these kids were younger, to teach them properly. However, if you look at Rays, CEA, WC, FCA and many others, they began their L5 dominance at the youth level. Ultimately, it is not the age or their skills, it's the coaching, it's the coaching, it's the coaching! I liken it to dummying down a schools curriculum because many students struggle to pass the final exam. Wouldn't it be more prudent to just take the time to teach the subjects in newer and more creative ways? Should the kids who do pass their exams, and exceed their age and grade levels, be forced to perform below their ability to make the other kids feel better and be able to compete with them? If a school board suggested such a thing (even though many school systems operate in this very way), there would be protests and objections from parents. But somehow, it's ok in this particular athletic arena? I cry foul all day long!

Not letting cheerleaders compete level 5 just because of their age is not fair, if they know they wont be able to be on until theyre older dont you think they will become unmotivated because they know they cant even be on a level 5 team yet. Also just because of age does not mean they dont have good technique. Plenty of gymnasts come to cheerleading when theyre young and want to try something new. Restrictions should be made but by no means should this level be eliminated!

Back