High School Schools that do not follow safety rules: Is there anything we can do?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2010
There are teams that blatantly do not follow AACCA of NHSF safety rules. They know them and their girls are mostly allstar kids but their coaches choose not to acknowledge them. My question is "Is there anything we can truly do?". I was alerted to a video of a school in my area doing releases where they throw the girls across the floor and another group catches them. Very dangerous, and very alarming to me that these girls are being allowed to do this(See at :18 and more alarming at 2:05) . Based on videos of past years as well, this hasn't been the first time. I don't want to be the one to raise a huge stink about other schools, but its not a minor disregard for the safety regulations....its pretty much a stunt done back in the 80's. I'm scared someone will get seriously injured. Should I email the administration? Should I do anything? I'm sure some of you have similar experiences and I could use your advice.

Can you tell me where the school is?

I sent the link to Jim Lord at AACCA.

That is scary to watch. If someone is in the wrong place at the wrong time, they wouldn't be the only ones getting hurt! But other than that, they look awesome haha

I hate when coaches think that they are above the standards. Cheerleading will never be taken seriously unless we all start taking it seriously. Starting with safety. These ladies are obviously talented, but one missed catch and that coach will have to explain to someone's mom why she can't walk anymore. And JUST because the coach didn't follow the rules.

Thanks ACEDAD for bringing this to Jim's attention.

Carrolton Texas, so much talent, wish they would be safe! There are so many high school teams that do not follow the rules, I feel like they want to try to keep up with Allstar Cheer but they dont have the training or experience. Super Scary.

Is it just me or are horrible terrifying practices going throught everyone else' heads too? I mean imagine the first time they tried it! I would refuse to fly in a stunt like that and I'm sure my parents would try and pull me out of the school's team if they saw that my squad was having girls do that! Keep in mind my mom is an ex-coach and normaly she's ok with the various stunts, but i'm sure she would never have let her girls do this!

Is it just me or are horrible terrifying practices going throught everyone else' heads too? I mean imagine the first time they tried it! I would refuse to fly in a stunt like that and I'm sure my parents would try and pull me out of the school's team if they saw that my squad was having girls do that! Keep in mind my mom is an ex-coach and normaly she's ok with the various stunts, but i'm sure she would never have let her girls do this!

I was thinking that! How do you teach that without killing someone?!

It sucks they don't follow the rules because this team is really talented.
I totally agree with what people said above, how the heck do they teach this without someone getting hurt?

This happens all the time in my area, especially when I am judging. I literally have atleast one team per competition that asks me if they can do a certain stunt, knowing that it is illegal. I even have event producers dictate to me what rules in the rulebook they will be following and which ones they won't. (not allowing tuck baskets but allowing backward suspended rolls) The entire cheer world wants to be taken seriously, but how can we if we have people that are blatantly being unsafe.

Back