High School Schools that do not follow safety rules: Is there anything we can do?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Because they are a level 5 allstar team and still retain a connection during the skill, therefore making it legal for their division. There are different safety regulations for high school teams and and allstar teams.

I remember my senior year of HS, a team did a badly thrown basket toss (one side threw more than the other) and the flyer went toe-touching over one of the bases heads..it was TERRIFYING. I don't understand how you can blatantly flaunt the rules like that?! I literally GASPED when the two preps launched those girls. Can you IMAGINE the lawsuit, complete with video evidence?? Unthinkable.

Oh My God, this is probably the scariest cheer routine that worked without anyone getting hurt I've seen. Really guys? Cheer doesn't ahve to be illegal to look good, and the squad obviously has insane talent without having to do all these crazy basket throws! x

What is the high school rule about baskets? Do they not need to be performed on a mat? And back tuck baskets - completely illegal for high schools right?

What is the high school rule about baskets? Do they not need to be performed on a mat? And back tuck baskets - completely illegal for high schools right?

Correct and correct.

those front flip things off the pyramid are illegal too. just sayin

Not to mention they made me laugh out loud. I don't know why. They just looked like they were melting forward and it was funny to me. hahaha.

Ok - what do we do about schools who are doing illegal stunts at games, and we don't have a video? We have seen SO many teams throwing baskets and doubling down on gym floors, throwing front flip cradles or 2.5 high stunts, etc. Last week we watched a team warming up without a coach, and the coach showed up halfway through the game! The cheerleaders stunted on the gym floor during 30 second timeouts, and the basketball players were running through the stunts to get back on the court.

Should we be taking our own videos? i don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I have had conversations with these coaches and shown them the rule book, and they still continue to allow their teams to do collegiate level stunts. Having coached a college team, I really feel like if these coaches are willing to ignore the fact that these are highly illegal stunts, they sure as heck aren't teaching their athletes the right technique on how to do them.

I'm waiting for the day someone breaks their neck and we all get banned from stunting in our area for one coach's negligence.

You don't get people in trouble, they get themselves in trouble. All you are talking about it reporting someone being unsafe and putting kids at risk.

I don't have much to say about the issue, but that is one of the biggest teams I've ever seen.

My jaw just dropped at 2:05. There are no words. That is so dangerous it's not even funny. Did the coach ever rectify the situation?

Should we just report to Jim Lord? I've tried going through our AD and didn't get very far.

I think to make the entire system work, you should try to contact a state AACCA representative who should either take car of it or ask for support from the AACCA (i.e. Jim Lord or someone else up there). If the state representatives don't know about it, then e-mailing Jim Lord directly would be appropriate. The system of enforcement is not used nearly enough, if at all in some places.

I've had to contact Jim Lord directly regarding 2 different local schools performing illegal stunts. Both situations were handled by Jim himself. We have to help regulate our sport to ensure we are not "ground bound" because of a clueless, unqualified person being hired. Jim will put the pressure on HS Athletic Directors.

I'm more worried about those kids than the sport itself.

Back