All-Star Scores From Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Some parents have their kids take their phones backstage and take pictures of the scores. LOL They post day 1 scores pretty fast back stage. The second day they wait because they want awards/results to be a surprise.
I used to be one of those parents. But that was when we were at a gym that refused to even tell the kids where they were sitting after Day 1 ("if we tell them they're in first they won't work and if we tell them they're in 5th they'll be discouraged and not work."). That's pretty much the most negative way to look at kids I've ever seen.

Plus they would never talk about the post-mortem with the kids or parents either...just generalities (usually in the vein of, "if you'd hit what we gave you, you'd win." But when they did hit it they'd get "you didn't perform enough.")

So I was always completely interested in every detailed score I could see that would be published and loved the EPs that announced placements after Day 1 online because it circumvented the secrecy.

I've found the greatest stress reliever as a parent is moving to a gym that completely talks about scoring and numbers as a standard part of every day discussion (with the kids as well ... "We have to have 19 doubles in this routine that hit. No exceptions. So were redoing running tumbling today." "We won by .04, that was ONE of these reps so well be doing it about 10 more times today.")

I didn't even realize I could care less if EPs publish that stuff now because I know we'll get (or at least the kids will) full disclosure afterward anyway.

But as a parent of a gym that always kept that info on lockdown...it was frustrating. If only because it felt like they were hiding stuff. In hindsight, they probably were. All part of that gym culture that may contribute to the fact they don't exist anymore.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

@12stepCheermom Although we are in different parts of the country, it sounds like we have traveled a very similar path. We used to get the same information (or lack of information) at our previous gym with almost the exact same logic. We were also told that our kids had been given a winning routine and that they (the kids) were not doing their part.

And I agree that moving to a new gym is a stress reliever. Now I know the coaches will go over their score sheets with the athletes and will point out what was done well and where they need to work more. And they explain it in a way that my 9 year old understands. I trust that they are making the right decisions because they aren't hiding behind score sheets or glossing over results.

@yesucan The surveys I saw were sent from an EP to gym owners and/or coaches that compete with them. Although parents pay for everything in the end, those are the people that choose the EPs and who the EPs are most likely to listen to.
Of course coaches and gym owners would not want scores up for the world to see! That would be putting information in parents laps! <collective gasp> So much is hidden behind the "parents don't get it"... What we absolutely do get is the sketchiness of withholding information. I can promise you that the general public does not understand the ins, outs, and intricacies of gymnastics scoring but we sure know the difference between 7.3 out of 10 and a 9.8 out of 10.

At or gym we talk about scores. While some of the girls probably don't pay too much attention, I'm the kind of person who loves to know that stuff. And it makes it clear to us why we lost and how we can expect to score. They're fine telling us "we need 2 more girls doing standing so you know who you are and you need to be working it." It also helps when they can tell us "your pyramid crashed and burned and you still score an XX. if your pyramid had hit and you didn't have the deductions, you could've scored XX and could've won bc that's higher than the other teams who scored YY and ZZ. So that's our goal for next competition, let's fix that." I Like to know exactly what needs fixing!

Our gym goes over the scores with the team at their next practice which I think is great. The parents are not involved in this review so at a minimum I would like to see the EP's post each teams score. It seems to be a simple enough request. Let the parents see the overall scores and the athletes work on the details with their coaches.

I think at least some of it is a function of the EP's confidence in their own judging/scoring system. The less confident they are in their process, the more likely they are to keep scoring hidden from the public.

I completely agree (or at least that is my perception and we all know perception = reality.)

Universal scoresheet for the win!
Seriously, that would make judges training more efficient, increase transparency in scoring, and make it easier for coaches (imagine having to alter your choreography time and time again to win different comps).

This doesn't answer the question.
I love @Andre more and more every day.

But to add some insight, when I first started coaching I wanted score hidden. Back then I had no idea what I was doing. 6 years later, if I don't get category breakdown of my division, I'm emailing EPs to get them. We are scoresheet junkies at our gym these days. So are our kids. It makes coaching so much easier when scores are published.

Back