All-Star Senior Restricted 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

TheDivineCheerYaYaSecret

I will call you out on your cowardice.
Cheer Parent
Jun 18, 2013
Ok. I have looked through the USASF rules and searched through Fierceboard for the low down on Senior Restricted 5. (So don't hate please) When I read the USASF rules I am never 100% sure that my interpretation of them is correct.

The tryout info packet for our gym has just come out today (yes!) and they are slating a Senior Restricted 5 team for next year, The Chili Peppers (yasssss!). What does that level mean exactly in terms of age, standing tumbling, running tumbling?

From what I can tell the athletes have to be 10 by 8/31.
My interpretation of the USASF rules is that they can do a running full but doubles are not allowed.
What is the highest level allowed for standing tumbling? Is it a standing full or a standing tuck? I can't seem to figure this one out.
Likewise for the standing tumbling, what is the minimum standing skill? Standing tuck?

Obviously CP is trying to decide what level to try out for and I am trying to have the best understanding of the levels as possible. I fully understand Junior 5 and Senior 5 but the "Restricted" 5 is one I'm not that familiar with.

Anyone?

Ok. I have looked through the USASF rules and searched through Fierceboard for the low down on Senior Restricted 5. (So don't hate please) When I read the USASF rules I am never 100% sure that my interpretation of them is correct.

The tryout info packet for our gym has just come out today (yes!) and they are slating a Senior Restricted 5 team for next year, The Chili Peppers (yasssss!). What does that level mean exactly in terms of age, standing tumbling, running tumbling?

From what I can tell the athletes have to be 10 by 8/31.
My interpretation of the USASF rules is that they can do a running full but doubles are not allowed.
What is the highest level allowed for standing tumbling? Is it a standing full or a standing tuck? I can't seem to figure this one out.
Likewise for the standing tumbling, what is the minimum standing skill? Standing tuck?

Obviously CP is trying to decide what level to try out for and I am trying to have the best understanding of the levels as possible. I fully understand Junior 5 and Senior 5 but the "Restricted" 5 is one I'm not that familiar with.

Anyone?
The age you have is correct. Running tumbling is straight fulls and specialty to fulls (my friend is last pass on R5 and she throws front handspring punch front step out roundoff whip handspring full). Standing tumbling is jumps to tuck and two to full. All stunting is the same as normal level 5 except baskets. Baskets can only contain 3 skills (kick double or switch kick full as opposed to switch kick double). Hope I explained this well!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Basically, it's been covered above. It is level 5, but with some obvious restrictions. It is not a worlds division. It has a different age range and there are restrictions in tumbling and pyramids. It's sort of like an entry level for level 5. It was created to protect teams that had some level 5 skills but were not at the same level as the Worlds teams.

your question has already been answered, but i know you were also asking specifically to gauge which tryout CP should attend. assuming that you are staying with a current gym, would it be possible to ask CP's coach or tumble instructor their opinion on which levels they think are within her reach? or if she can attend both sessions? restricted 5 is a fun division! good luck to CP!

there's also a rule that pyramid inversions can not twist whatsoever. (no over the head full twist inversions, no inversions when the top steps onto a the other group, does a half twist and lands in a cradle back in the other group)

Not that it really matters but it sounds like SR 5 is really a Level 4.5 and level 4.2 should really be called Level 2.4. Level 5 should mean level 5 skills and anything short of it should be a lower level. For example, there are AAA minor league ballplayers who at that level have the most of the skills and ability to play on the big league level but parts of their game lack major league skills and consistency which keep them at the AAA level. Level 4.2 is wrong because there's Level 2 skills involved and should really be called Level 2.4 since the lower level skill sets are part of this level. Kinda like being as strong as the weakest link in the chain. These seem like politically correct ways to name these levels. Why not call it for what it is.

Not that it really matters but it sounds like SR 5 is really a Level 4.5 and level 4.2 should really be called Level 2.4. Level 5 should mean level 5 skills and anything short of it should be a lower level. For example, there are AAA minor league ballplayers who at that level have the most of the skills and ability to play on the big league level but parts of their game lack major league skills and consistency which keep them at the AAA level. Level 4.2 is wrong because there's Level 2 skills involved and should really be called Level 2.4 since the lower level skill sets are part of this level. Kinda like being as strong as the weakest link in the chain. These seem like politically correct ways to name these levels. Why not call it for what it is.
I don't think there's any part of restricted 5 that is level 4 though. Tumbling and stunting both allow skills that can't be done in level 4. I would say it's much closer to level 5 than level 4 because it is level 5 skills.

I don't understand... what's the difference? Saying 4.2 level 4 stunting level 2 tumbling OR 2.4 Level 2 tumbling level 4 stunting... it's 6 one way half a dozen another.

your question has already been answered, but i know you were also asking specifically to gauge which tryout CP should attend. assuming that you are staying with a current gym, would it be possible to ask CP's coach or tumble instructor their opinion on which levels they think are within her reach? or if she can attend both sessions? restricted 5 is a fun division! good luck to CP!

Yes I think I can ask them that. We moved to this gym last summer so she didn't have to go through the tryout process there. So this is our first experience with it. But I like the idea of her trying out for L4 (which she is STRONGLY there) or a L5 which she is there but not STRONGLY. In other words she has her RO BHS Full, her RO Full, three BHS to Full, one toe touch to tuck. Honestly it would be hard on the jumps to tuck bc the gym is looking for quad jumps to tuck. Another thing is her stunting. She is pretty good at it but she is now flying on her SL3 team. She has worked on L4 and L5 flying as well but I know the stunting skills seem to increase exponentially with each level.

I would love for her to be an extremely confident member of a L4 team AND a confident but growing member of a L5 team as well. She wants to do two teams next year. We have a J5 and with them also doing a SR5 they MAY be a good fit for her to try on that level and see what it is really like.

Maybe it would be better for her to try for the L4 and then also remain on the S3. I just don't know. I think asking her coaches is also a good way to know what they think.

If it were me, I would rather be in level 4 where all my skills could be used and I would be one of the stronger members.

Not saying that she would at all but I was always on a higher level team and I didn't have the tumbling to match the level, at times I felt like I was bringing my team down.

Back