All-Star Seniors Making College Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh, I don't think it's probation, but a chance to let the staff get to know the new athletes and have an open and fair evaluation period to be sure they have the right people where they need to be for their program. I like it better than a day or two of hectic evaluation and placement, seems the best way to be fair to the new kids and the kids who have been there that want to move to a different level. We'll see, good things come with patience, commitment and hard work.

Maddie should have no problem there either, especially with the hard work and commitment part!

its probably the best way to select a team, though. youd really get to see which athletes mesh better than others.

Definitely! I also like it because you don't have to worry about anyone slacking off over the summer. That happened on my college team-a girl made the team and then was lazy all summer. We all came back ready to work and in top shape...she...well, was out of shape. She hadn't done any running/cardio or lifting or kept up her tumbling all summer. Just drank beer and partied. Needless to say, she sat in the stands instead of running out of the tunnel with us.

I feel like most coaches would have a good idea of who's trying out with clinics - especially from schools that are close to the college or university. The committed girls have probably shown interest in the program all through their senior year, at least, and maybe even before then. I know some cheerleaders aren't able to show up at clinics, but I would guess most people that come to tryouts have been to one before, just to get their name out there. I do like that UNC does that though, I think it sounds like a good way to pick a college team or at least which squad they'll be on! I've heard it's beautiful there as well.

I feel like most coaches would have a good idea of who's trying out with clinics - especially from schools that are close to the college or university. The committed girls have probably shown interest in the program all through their senior year, at least, and maybe even before then. I know some cheerleaders aren't able to show up at clinics, but I would guess most people that come to tryouts have been to one before, just to get their name out there. I do like that UNC does that though, I think it sounds like a good way to pick a college team or at least which squad they'll be on! I've heard it's beautiful there as well.
To piggyback on this it's also good to contact the coach very far in advance, ESPECIALLY if you can't make this clinics. This year both USC (South Carolina) clinics were during major competitions: NCA and Battle at the Capitol. Contact the coach according to his or her preferred method to build rapport and name familiarity. I also did a little Facebook stalking so I would know her face but that's just me. :cool:

When I was a Senior in HS (back in the dark ages of the mid-90s, back when if you had internet it was dial up and you could only use 20 minutes a day unless you happened to get a free AOL CD in the mail), I had to actually CALL the school, get transferred to the cheer office and leave a message for the coach. She then called me back and I asked if I could come watch a practice when I was there for my visit. That was in the fall. In the spring I couldn't make tryouts due to my HS graduation being the same day as tryouts, so I had to tryout by video. Which involved me making a VHS tape (which meant I had to do my cheer, jumps, tumbling and stunts all in one take)! Then I had to UPS a box with the VHS tape off to the school. Now the kids make a video using their iPhone, edit it using iMovie and fancy it all up and select their best of each skill to put in the video in editing and then upload it to their youtube or email it to the coach.

When I was a Senior in HS (back in the dark ages of the mid-90s, back when if you had internet it was dial up and you could only use 20 minutes a day unless you happened to get a free AOL CD in the mail), I had to actually CALL the school, get transferred to the cheer office and leave a message for the coach. She then called me back and I asked if I could come watch a practice when I was there for my visit. That was in the fall. In the spring I couldn't make tryouts due to my HS graduation being the same day as tryouts, so I had to tryout by video. Which involved me making a VHS tape (which meant I had to do my cheer, jumps, tumbling and stunts all in one take)! Then I had to UPS a box with the VHS tape off to the school. Now the kids make a video using their iPhone, edit it using iMovie and fancy it all up and select their best of each skill to put in the video in editing and then upload it to their youtube or email it to the coach.

It makes me laugh that you mentioned that because when I moved to GA I found one of those old CDs in a box of junk. Then at Best Buy the other day I was waiting in line and overheard this woman talking about getting pre-paid internet for her computer and I looked over at my friend and asked if AOL still made those disks. I honestly though she wanted some free AOL minutes. On top of that, until about a month ago my mom was still paying AOL every month because she didn't realize that AOL was just a free website that anyone could use, they have had internet through verizon for years.

Oh AOL how you bring back memories of my childhood.

It makes me laugh that you mentioned that because when I moved to GA I found one of those old CDs in a box of junk. Then at Best Buy the other day I was waiting in line and overheard this woman talking about getting pre-paid internet for her computer and I looked over at my friend and asked if AOL still made those disks. I honestly though she wanted some free AOL minutes. On top of that, until about a month ago my mom was still paying AOL every month because she didn't realize that AOL was just a free website that anyone could use, they have had internet through verizon for years.

Oh AOL how you bring back memories of my childhood.

My father still pays the ISP that they used back in like 1996 when we first got internet in the house despite the fact that they have WiFi through FIOS for the past 5 years!!!

Someone tweeted that I made USC?! I'm honored!!! :D Also Syndey Stinson from ACX Wildjags made USC along with one other ACX girl whose name I didn't catch.
The other Wildjag was Savannah Hale. =) I believe they both made Coed.

Lauren Calhoun from GA (the blonde bob flyer) made USC Coed too.
Someone from Top Gun made USC too, I didn't catch her name. She is a rising sophomore.

So happy to see all the talent USC brings in year after year.

Someone from Top Gun made USC too, I didn't catch her name. She is a rising sophomore.

Thanks! Just added them on FB. Not to be a stalker, but hey we are gonna be cheering together for the next four years.

Thanks! Just added them on FB. Not to be a stalker, but hey we are gonna be cheering together for the next four years.
Congrats! See ya on campus in the fall! And possibly during the summer, I'll be in summer school so hit me up whenever you're on campus.

That's Katie Strassberg- she also used to be on Brandon Senior Black.

About Maddie, I don't know if I would say she has made any team at UNC. Apparently, there are a group of athletes returning that have been place in the varsity catergory and everyone else that made the cut placed on a summer team along witht the first group that will go through a series of camps, practices and evaluations, let the staff get to know them and they will be placed in the fall after a second tryout. She made the summer team. She had a great time, really likes everyone around UNC cheer and will do what the staff asks her to do this summer and in the fall. Just to be accurate.

Y'all got off 15-501 about 10 miles too soon...hop back on heading North for a little bit longer and then you'll be in the right place :p

Back