All-Star #smoedisback Atv

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

*The German language sounds terrifying.

Are you really one of the strongest programs when an overwhelming majority of your premier athletes technically aren't from your gym and received most of their training elsewhere? Also views don't really mean anything positive, everyone will stare at the car wreck on the side of the road as they ride by.

Are you really one of the strongest programs when an overwhelming majority of your premier athletes technically aren't from your gym and received most of their training elsewhere? Also views don't really mean anything positive, everyone will stare at the car wreck on the side of the road as they ride by.

Eh I think so -- I still think it's a talent to take 20 athletes who have all different trainings and bring them together and win worlds 4x in a row.

And across the board the other teams out the Ventura gym are strong. And in general Cali always delivers a strong product regardless of division.

Eh I think so -- I still think it's a talent to take 20 athletes who have all different trainings and bring them together and win worlds 4x in a row.
Agree and disagree. Yes you've got to be a good coach to get 20 athletes to work well together and kill a routine. But it sure is easier when you're working with 20 top notch athletes versus trying to possibly figure out how to hide 2 or 3 who might touchdown on jump to tuck or still throw a layout (which is reality for many teams out there who can't "bus in" athletes from across the country and even beyond).

And across the board the other teams out the Ventura gym are strong. And in general Cali always delivers a strong product regardless of division.
I disagree, if the athletes have quality training its not difficult to blend individuals to form a strong team it may take a while but that's generally how all teams are formed. California is a strong program from levels 1-5 6*, there is no questioning that. However, I give a side eye when your top tier team is composed of mostly transfers.

Last edited:
I disagree, if the athletes have quality training its not difficult to blend individuals to form a strong team it may take a while but that's generally how all teams are formed. California is a strong program from levels 1-5 6*, there is no questioning that. However, I give a side eye when your top tier team is composed of transfers.

But why the side eye? That's my question. It still doesn't take away the fact that the other teams in their gym are very talented as well.

It's not like their levels 1-4 are janky.

But why the side eye? That's my question. It still doesn't take away the fact that the other teams in their gym are very talented as well.

Those athletes learned the majority of their skills while sporting a different uniform. California is reaping the benefits of other programs .CA is not at fault because at the end of the day they are business and a strong gym. However, IMO the best of the best should made up of mostly home grown talent.

I've seen so many gyms with solid foundations of levels 1-4. They always get those breakout athletes who advanced quickly and they leave that program to attend the big program that is hours away. This is what keeps small gym small. I understand out growing a program when the staff becomes incapable of furthering your athlete.

Last edited:

Just jumping in for a second; no one can take away the talent from the other California teams and the successes those teams have had. Clearly they have a strong coaching staff and direction for their teams.

But when looking specifically at SMOED; which boasts about being 4 time consecutive National Champions---if we're being completely honest, this wouldn't have been achieved if they had stuck with the model their others teams have of only (mostly) using home grown kids. Or, would they? We'll truly never know because California SMOED has never tried it. Their Junior World's ring was all homegrown as was the 2012 season; 2013 had a more equal mix with I believe more homegrown than fly ins, but by 2014 and 2015 that shifted to just as many, if not more, fly ins---as we've already seen with this year, if they win again in 2016 it's still over half fly-in's.

As it stands now, since the original boys aged off from the team, almost all of their replacements have been from out of state or out of country. You can't win World's in Small Coed without strong boys.

What SMOED shows, imo, is that it's not about the team/athletes but about the coaches. Eddy (and previously Orby) had a method to success, when applied---as long as they brought in athletes with xyz skills in abc areas, they could win. If an athlete could no longer do xyz skill in abc spot, they were replaced with someone who could---and replacements took place until they had the desired mix. That is more about scouting and drafting than it is about fostering homegrown talent for this specific team within the program.

Which is why I think a lot of people, including me, side eye.

Couple of questions, are you saying that the 20 kids on smoed are the majority of the premier athletes in the entire Cali programs?
Also, views actually do mean a lot. It means they actually had to go to the video and click play, not just drive by as the video was playing.
Why the side eyeing? If its that easy to make the team champs and that's what they do, then they are meeting expectations, no?
Lastly, you say in a later post that its not that difficult to make a team great with transfers. Does that mean you could take this team and make them 4 time worlds winners?

Couple of questions, are you saying that the 20 kids on smoed are the majority of the premier athletes in the entire Cali programs?
Also, views actually do mean a lot. It means they actually had to go to the video and click play, not just drive by as the video was playing.
Why the side eyeing? If its that easy to make the team champs and that's what they do, then they are meeting expectations, no?
Lastly, you say in a later post that its not that difficult to make a team great with transfers. Does that mean you could take this team and make them 4 time worlds winners?
If I had the time, training, dedication, and patience (lol) as Eddy does it could be possible. I was trying to say just because someone watches the doesn't necessarily mean they support the tactics, practices or methods used . SMOED is by far the fan favorite of the Cali teams. I mentioned nothing about their other locations. I'll side eye whenever I deem it's necessary.

The only thing I will stand up for as far as them recruiting from other gyms is the fact that they have what? One level 4 team to pull from at that location.... Could they pull from the other cali programs, yes. But to my knowledge the other programs are spaced out pretty well, and I don't know how they could convince a kid from another cali gym that has a larger level 5 cali team to be part of, to make a commitment of driving out to the smoed gym instead of going to the one that might be right in their back yard.
I mean I know both Cali coed and lady bullets practice out of the same gym, that's a lot better chance of being and staying on the team then driving all the way out to smoed and possibly being kicked off, etc.
Do I still side eye the fact that they seem to enjoy pulling already trained kids from other programs, yes I do and I'm sorry but it's just odd.
I feel like that's where maybe you should be focusing a lot more on getting your level 4 athletes trained to the point where they can move up into those level 5 spots, after say two or three years of being a level 4 athlete. But I really have no clue how Cali handles the lower levels, it's just what makes the most sense to me.

Latest posts

Back