All-Star So Now That The Season's Over, What Is The Big Deal With Changing Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You have hit the nail on the head with this one.

While we were speaking in reference to the possible small gym perspective, when you look at it from the athlete's perspectuve it may look totally different. They may want someone to look up to instead of being looked up to. They may want to just be one of the girls or guys instead of the one expected to be the anchor of a team. These may be reason they may want to change gyms in addition to the many others brought up in this thread and in other threads.

My cp and I are having the same issues. We changed gyms and it's the caoch we have the biggest problem with. She runs her mouth to all the other cheer moms, speculates. and even starts the rumors. She also has a way at intimidating her cheerleaders into saying and responding a certain way to my cp. Of course I saw this response to others which is one of the many reasons we are no longer there. GOOD LUCK!! Some women never fully mature from highschool

Bingo

A friend once commented to me that she views cheer as a one year contract. If at the end of the year, if things have changed, on either end, then they will find something that is a better fit for their current situation. I actually think it's smart thinking. As a whole, most people want to be loyal to their gym program. But let's face it, circumstances change and sometimes another gym might become a better fit for a variety of reasons. There is no "one size fits all" cheer program. Why be bitter and hold a grudge over something? Isn't it more fun to have cheer friends on lots of different teams and be excited to see them & cheer them on at the various competitions?

I think people have some messed up priorities. Your friends should still be your friends, no matter what gym they cheer at. And, as parents/coaches/gym owners, you should lead by example by not bad mouthing, snubbing, or ignoring former athletes. Show your athletes that it's great to still be friends with former athletes because you never know when circumstances might change again. If you've been crappy to someone, they will not want to return.

there's really nothing to add about switching gyms that hasn't been said. how coaches, parents and athletes act during that time can really leave a lasting impression and destroy relationships.

just some advice for those considering the switch (that I wish someone had told be sooner):
pay attention to what coaches/owners say as a means to retain athletes. those who verbally chop down their competition by belittling their accomplishments, or attempt to instill fear ("oh, you'll just be a number there. you won't be a star") don't have respect for their peers, their program or themselves... and definitely won't have any for you. If a program is right for you, they will be able to provide you with details in what they can do for YOU, not what the other programs cannot.

I have been a hairstylist for a zillion years (ya..Im old) and my attitude was always that I would NEVER want a client who didnt want to be in my chair...I was ok knowing I couldnt be all things to all people and when I saw my clients at the store or where ever...I always gave them a big smile and a warm greeting...whats the point in being mean and taking it personal....most times people mean no harm and carrying a grudge just makes ya look small....:)
Oh good!! I'll be looking for you at the Grand in Vegas.. Blow outs??:D

there's really nothing to add about switching gyms that hasn't been said. how coaches, parents and athletes act during that time can really leave a lasting impression and destroy relationships.

just some advice for those considering the switch (that I wish someone had told be sooner):
pay attention to what coaches/owners say as a means to retain athletes. those who verbally chop down their competition by belittling their accomplishments, or attempt to instill fear ("oh, you'll just be a number there. you won't be a star") don't have respect for their peers, their program or themselves... and definitely won't have any for you. If a program is right for you, they will be able to provide you with details in what they can do for YOU, not what the other programs cannot.

Best advice I've seen on this board. Ever. :)

That's really good advice I know of a coach doing this same thing to some athletes that are leaving their gym, and he doesn't want them to go to their choice so he is belittling and tearing the children down to make them want to follow him to his new gym, and saying things like his gym is coming for some established level 5 teams it's pretty crazy during try out season.

hahaha. i literally just laughed out loud at this.

i am not a fan of kids that gym hop during the season because it lets them think thats okay and doesnt teach them dedication, committment, or responsibility. i do, however, understand people who switch gyms at the end of the season to be part of a more competitive program and one that is better for the overall well being of an athlete. why pay all that money to be at a gym that is going nowhere fast? especially for athletes that want to cheer on a worlds level team in an area where there is slim pickings (cough cough northeast ohio lol) gym loyalty is talked up a little too much in this sport sometimes... do what makes you happy right? why stay at a program that makes you miserable?

You have completely summed up why my cp left her old gym to cheer at her new gym-now been there for a whole season. There are slim pickings in our area and she wanted to step it up a notch and compete with those who were as dedicated and committed to getting a worlds bid as she was, so she switched gyms but waited until after the cheer season had ended. Her old gym is still so bitter, all because they could not meet her needs and she wanted more than they could give her. I am proud of her because she was willing to leave her gym where she was comfortable for many years and start at a new gym where she knew no one. She doesn't regret her move a bit and is happy with her decision-and yes she did go to worlds this year :)

That's really good advice I know of a coach doing this same thing to some athletes that are leaving their gym, and he doesn't want them to go to their choice so he is belittling and tearing the children down to make them want to follow him to his new gym, and saying things like his gym is coming for some established level 5 teams it's pretty crazy during try out season.[/

Exceptional advice for parents in this thread. I also know of a similar situation mentioned above and it saddens me that things have spiraled out of control because parents feel as though it's time to move on. Even worse are the parents afraid to make the move for fear of feeling like they owe something to the gym, it's a business and as a consumer, if you aren't satisfied with the product find another, it's so sad too that the kids are saying harsh things as well to their teammates that have left or plan too.

That's really good advice I know of a coach doing this same thing to some athletes that are leaving their gym, and he doesn't want them to go to their choice so he is belittling and tearing the children down to make them want to follow him to his new gym, and saying things like his gym is coming for some established level 5 teams it's pretty crazy during try out season.

This is crazy to cause a child should be able to go wherever they are happy & their parents money is well spent and they get good results! Some coaches just don't get it if that is a way to recruit kids then you don't need to coach or recruit period! SMH........

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have come to the conclusion that some people are just mean spirited. If you do not conform as they deem fit, a temper tantrum ensues. :eek: That essentially what they are doing by bad mouthing you, being rude or disrespectful etc. IMO it's their loss. By treating out-going athletes with such poor grace, insures only 1 thing...a return to that gym in the future is inconceivable.

I feel like these are all tactics to get people to stay who are at the point of move on. Try-out season really shows you who your friends are and if the program your leaving was really genuine.

Change is hard but sometimes it has to be done so that your cp can grow and become a better cheerleader in a conducive environment. My cp changed gyms at the beginning of last season and it was the best move for her she has learned so much in such a short period of time.

She came to tryouts last season after not tumbling for a year, and she was asked to show what she had in front of the owner so she threw her full and fell. I was devastated for her, but she still got a level 5 call back and ended up on J5 and now she has 35 new sisters.

I currently have 5 kids holding my teams hostage right now bc they tried out for us AND another gym. They paid both tryout fees and are still waiting to make a decision (I'm sure they'll attend a few practices to see which they like better). Two of them lied to me about it and the others said they just wanted to see where they'd be placed. All 5 were placed on the same teams at both gyms (age and level). I've been very cooperative about it bc I'm the smaller gym and desperately need those kids to stay but I'm getting to the point where I just want to say pick a dang team and do it. It's cruel to keep us waiting and wondering if two of our teams are even going to make it.
It's a 1 year contract. Switching gyms happens every year so no one should ever be surprised or shocked when it happens. Don't let kids cheer for free (they will leave--u can count on that instead of counting your money) and don't bash anyone who leaves bc when you do it just confirms their decision. It's a business not a family and I know it feels like family but it's still a business first.
My coaches get upset about the kids that come in with nothing and leave when they get their skills. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's not the end of the world. I'm happy as long as I still have kids to coach. And if I ever lose my entire program after 15 years of coaching, I'll hang up my staff shirt and walk away bc I've obviously done something very very wrong.

It is always hard to see kids who came to or your program with little to no cheer or tumble experience, learn their skills, become very good cheerleaders, and then leave. I have come to understand that that is part of this process whether I like it or not. If you have a child longer than three years in your program you have accomplished a major feat. Especially in today's climate of instant gratification.

Beyond what has already been said my only issue with this is when kids do this and then trash their former coaches and gyms like they never learned anything at all. You walked into Gym A without a Cartwheel; didn't have a double when you went to gym A, now you have a double, go to Gym B who wants your double and say Gym A is no good? I just never got that one. Move on if you must, but do it as respectfully as possible. Same with the gym - if they want to go let them go and train someone else.

Back