All-Star Spirit Fest 3/5-3/6

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Posted on behalf of @Cheer007 while still on newbie status.

I am a parent who attended Spirit Fest Hartford this weekend. I paid $40 for the 2 Day Ticket.
Here's my question: WHERE ARE THE SCORES?
When I attend a baseball, footbal, hockey or basketball game, when it's over, I know who won and what the score was... Our Level 5 team lost, but I'd like to know how much they lost by...
We PAID $40, we deserve to see scores.... Anybody have any thoughts??

**we can be friends if you like dogs**

I would love to see the scores. The scoring and placements at this comp were SO shady.... this is what makes this sport lose so much integrity . . . .

Our program had a Senior L1 and a Junior L1 that both won the division. Senior 1 was grand champs and highest score of the comp and neither of them received a bid. I think the judges knew what they had in mind for bids before this comp even happened.

Why even have a bid declaration if they aren't going to follow it at all? Your senior L1 team is great and deserved that paid bid. I didn't see many of the teams that received bids. our teams scores were very very off, and comments made by judges on day 2 contradicted what they said day 1.

I know competitions can do as they please with regards to dispersing bids, so long as they declare they're pulling from a hat or choosing their favorites ahead of time. If the EP has a public declaration but doesn't follow it, are there repercussions? There should be.

I know competitions can do as they please with regards to dispersing bids, so long as they declare they're pulling from a hat or choosing their favorites ahead of time. If the EP has a public declaration but doesn't follow it, are there repercussions? There should be.
Almost every bid declaration I have seen posted has also stated that the EP has the right to make changes at any time. I don't know what the right answer for Summit is since it is far more complex than Worlds bids due to so many different divisions and levels involved, so I can't fault Spirit Fest regarding everyone's complaints about the Summit bids. In fact the paid bid winners were excellent teams. I originally thought it was awful that bids were announced on the Monday following competitions, but now I think that probably isn't a bad idea given the complexity. Video review all of the contenders and make a decision then, since there normally isn't enough paid bids to give each level's highest scoring team.
I was really pulling for Spirit Fest to have changed it's reputation since our region desperately needs to keep their bid competitions strong. They didn't and that is disappointing. My complaints aren't about who got bids and who didn't and I can't comment on scoring because I don't know enough. From my perspective I think many of the divisions that I watched in its entirety had the placements correct - it just is a frustrating competition to attend from a parent perspective.

Last edited:
I thought the actual competition was very well run. Everything was on time. Warm ups were very organized, every staff person I had to deal with was very gracious and helpful. I liked the venue. Only problem I saw was the summit bids and how they were given out Things didn't add up there for me. As far as scoring , it's been the same issues at every single comp we've been to. I thought last years score sheets were better. They should have stayed with that and given that one a few years for everyone to get used to it
Agreed...the competition was well run, ran early instead of late actually (with the exception of the last awards ceremony). The stages looked amazing and staff was gracious and helpful. That's about all the positives I have.

Though, I wonder if all the scoring issues this year were because they were apparently still looking for judges as of Thursday. I think the biggest issue in our industry right now is the severe lack of qualified, educated judges.

Agreed...the competition was well run, ran early instead of late actually (with the exception of the last awards ceremony). The stages looked amazing and staff was gracious and helpful. That's about all the positives I have.

Though, I wonder if all the scoring issues this year were because they were apparently still looking for judges as of Thursday. I think the biggest issue in our industry right now is the severe lack of qualified, educated judges.
That is a major problem. We pay a lot of money to attend these comps. We expect good qualified judges.

I feel that for the most part SF ran pretty well. On time and early most of the day. Security was nice this year and staff was helpful and bathrooms were clean. I understand certain parts of the score sheet others not so much, but lets be honest judging is 80% structured 20% subjective. What I think looks great may not look great to someone else. Everyone feels that their own team always deserves to win or deserves a bid. I believe the saying for the Summit is 10% make the climb. So if you already got a bid you super fortunate already. I am disappointed in how so many owners, coaches and parents took to social media and slammed everything about this competition. WE has parents, coaches and owners need to set the example of losing as gracefully as you winning. We don't tolerate bullying of kids but I read and watched lots of bullying of the SF staff and its a shame... I agree with quitthedrama Monday night reveals should be standard with all bids moving forward. It will also prevent such late starting award ceremonies on a Sunday evening.... and FYI SF has never posted the scores, nor does Athletics or Spirit Sports. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their season.:cheering:

Summit bids were definitely harder to come by than Worlds at this comp. Due to the fact that alot of teams had bids already. When you can place 7th in your division and get a bid...............

Summit bids were definitely harder to come by than Worlds at this comp. Due to the fact that alot of teams had bids already. When you can place 7th in your division and get a bid...............

Or 2nd and NOT get one (not us, we got 3rd - and didn't get one). They weren't that easy to get.

I was definitely surprised that they only gave one international team a bid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. I thought this comp was going to be battle of the open teams. Instead they gave 5/6 AL bids to teams at the bottom of their senior divisions.

Right. I thought this comp was going to be battle of the open teams. Instead they gave 5/6 AL bids to teams at the bottom of their senior divisions.
Yep that the division I am talking about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure all the summit bids went to division winners

Back