All-Star Spirit Fest 3/5-3/6

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know about confusion so much as down right anger. Lots of unhappy coaches all weekend. Expect this event to shrink this year. Lots of people talking about not returning.
You're right about anger. Every year it seems like w lot of people talk about not returning but how many actually follow through?

Isn't this a varsity owned EP now?

**we can be friends if you like dogs**

Does anyone know who got the at large summit bids? I know they're not posting results until tomorrow. Lots of unhappy reviews on their fb page.

I'm sure you are. But the issues at this comp had nothing to do with the issue of your gym owner's comp, and I still don't see anyone posting they wish they had gone to Mid Atlantic over this one. Gyms will just stay away from both.

I have to smile because I know what lengths some gym owners and coaches will go to get even an at large bid to Worlds . So I truly doubt gyms will stay away from any competition that they may get a BID. Just an innocent bystander

Can't help but smile !
We were at Spirit Fest and I can say it was nothing like what I have seen at Wildwood in the past & there weren't any fights at the judges table where people were threatening to call the police, so much tamer in comparison.

I think this season in particular with the new scoresheets there are some programs that will be unhappy at each event....depending on what type of scoring the judging panel seems to be favoring...our team has put out nearly the same routine at back to back comps...hit with no deductions and scored in a 3-5 point swing either way....that is a lot of points to vary with no changes being made....simply different events and different judging panels. Teams that have had significantly higher raw scores at one comp have had much lower raw scores in an adjacent weekend.

There were many issues at this comp, from a coaching point of view. Most importantly was the scoring. Technique score were all over the damn place, with very little explanation as to why. Of course, you can't challenge those, so not a whole lot you can do there. Then the summit declaration that was posted online and emailed out to coaches was changed in the Friday night coaches meeting. We were told at the same meeting that each level would be scored by the same panel only to find out Saturday that wasn't the case. They guaranteed 1 bid per age, and 1 for each level....no level 1 teams received a bid. The changed declaration stated that you had to win your division to be eligible, and then all winners would be reviewed. There are grand champion teams that went home without a bid. As of today, we will not be returning next year, and I can name at least 5 other gyms who have said the same. This comp grew this year, I expect it to shrink again next.

There were many issues at this comp, from a coaching point of view. Most importantly was the scoring. Technique score were all over the damn place, with very little explanation as to why. Of course, you can't challenge those, so not a whole lot you can do there. Then the summit declaration that was posted online and emailed out to coaches was changed in the Friday night coaches meeting. We were told at the same meeting that each level would be scored by the same panel only to find out Saturday that wasn't the case. They guaranteed 1 bid per age, and 1 for each level....no level 1 teams received a bid. The changed declaration stated that you had to win your division to be eligible, and then all winners would be reviewed. There are grand champion teams that went home without a bid. As of today, we will not be returning next year, and I can name at least 5 other gyms who have said the same. This comp grew this year, I expect it to shrink again next.

How completely true about the scores being all over the place this year .3-5 points is a lot in cheer . I do not know how that can be rectified in the future . It's all in the eyes and opinion of the judges .

How completely true about the scores being all over the place this year .3-5 points is a lot in cheer . I do not know how that can be rectified in the future . It's all in the eyes and opinion of the judges .
I'm wondering if they use the same judges every year. If they do maybe it's time to change things up.

they also said that the 2 top scoring teams would recieve the paid summit bids but that did not happen either.

Does anyone know who got the at large summit bids? I know they're not posting results until tomorrow. Lots of unhappy reviews on their fb page.
I know that FCA Sapphires (Lg 4.2), FCA Rubies (S2) and FCA Fire Opals (J4) all received at large bids.

Maybe the way the schedule was set up this year had to do with it?

It was a 3 division spread kind of like the Arena at NCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on behalf of @Cheer007 while still on newbie status.

I am a parent who attended Spirit Fest Hartford this weekend. I paid $40 for the 2 Day Ticket.
Here's my question: WHERE ARE THE SCORES?
When I attend a baseball, footbal, hockey or basketball game, when it's over, I know who won and what the score was... Our Level 5 team lost, but I'd like to know how much they lost by...
We PAID $40, we deserve to see scores.... Anybody have any thoughts??

I thought the actual competition was very well run. Everything was on time. Warm ups were very organized, every staff person I had to deal with was very gracious and helpful. I liked the venue. Only problem I saw was the summit bids and how they were given out Things didn't add up there for me. As far as scoring , it's been the same issues at every single comp we've been to. I thought last years score sheets were better. They should have stayed with that and given that one a few years for everyone to get used to it

Our program had a Senior L1 and a Junior L1 that both won the division. Senior 1 was grand champs and highest score of the comp and neither of them received a bid. I think the judges knew what they had in mind for bids before this comp even happened.

Back