Sprained Ankle's And Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry if this is kind of long lol:

I've been tumbling since I was 4 (I'm now 18) and have a long lost of ankle injuries. Back in December, I fractured my ankle the week of American Grand in Vegas and still had to compete full out tumbling, bounding and all. 2 weeks later, I was tumbling at my home gym and completely fractured and tore ligaments in both of my ankles at the same time- I was attempting a pass and pulled much too early and both of my ankles rolled inwards. The dr took one look at my ankles (which were now the size of softballs) and gave me the most terrified look lol he told me that I need to stay off of them for at least 3 months. 1 month later I was tumbling and practicing again for NCA.dallas. Ever since my injury, IV had to completely rework my tumbling. Moral of the story: When the dr tells you to stay off for X amount of time, LISTEN TO HIM.

This. I sprained my ankle many years ago while falling out of a prep. Competition season, so tape and a very supportive brace had to do it. Today i still have pain even though i don´t tumble or jump and just occasionally stunt to show technique. Not everyday, but putting much or long time pressure on it doesn´t work really good.
I know, when you´re young and strong, you´d do anything to get on that floor again, to compete with your team and do what you love.
But there is a life after competitive cheerleading, and it will last longer than the "few" weeks or months you may have to sit out.

Does anyone else find when they wear different shoes their ankles feel weaker? Like when I wear my Nike frees my ankles feel good and ok, but like when I wear my toms or flip flops my ankles feel weak and I usually roll it doing something normal. Make sense??? Am I crwzy?
This goes along with what I posted above about a brace, the shoes are giving you support that flip flops won't.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Does anyone else find when they wear different shoes their ankles feel weaker? Like when I wear my Nike frees my ankles feel good and ok, but like when I wear my toms or flip flops my ankles feel weak and I usually roll it doing something normal. Make sense??? Am I crwzy?
Absolutely. It 100% depends on the support of the shoe as well as the arch. Toms have none. Flip flips have none. Converse have minimal to none. Your Nikes give you more support all around therefore your ankle is held in place better. Has your orthopedist or PT ever discussed with you which shoes are better/worse for you?

@Cheer4life654 @GreenStorm Yes, listen to your doctor!!! No matter what the athlete or coach says, do not return to that floor until you have full doctor's clearance. We've learned the hard way - former cp has gone through 2 ankle surgeries and does not cheer anymore. Current cp coming off an ankle injury which happened in early October; she just transitioned from a boot to an air cast and is in PT. She will not be back in cheer probably until mid-December/early January, and even if it means her nuggeting in the back the rest of the season, I would not handle it any other way. Cheer is finite; being able to be pain free and do whatever activities you'd like to for the rest of your life should be the goal.

This. I sprained my ankle many years ago while falling out of a prep. Competition season, so tape and a very supportive brace had to do it. Today i still have pain even though i don´t tumble or jump and just occasionally stunt to show technique. Not everyday, but putting much or long time pressure on it doesn´t work really good.
I know, when you´re young and strong, you´d do anything to get on that floor again, to compete with your team and do what you love.
But there is a life after competitive cheerleading, and it will last longer than the "few" weeks or months you may have to sit out.
I was a competitive gymnast for 11 years and it was always so ingrained in my brain to push through the pain until you can't take it anymore. This injury was definitely a wake up call... I can already tell my tumbling isn't as powerful as it was before :( I figure I've got enough left in me to make it through college cheer and international for a couple years and then I'll call it quits!

I didn't wanna listen and sit out, now I have to wear orthotic inserts in my shoes almost all the time :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
Which is not the end of the world with most shoes, except for sandals of course and certain heels. You just have to make sure they have a removable insole and enough depth to accomodate the orthotic.

Absolutely. It 100% depends on the support of the shoe as well as the arch. Toms have none. Flip flips have none. Converse have minimal to none. Your Nikes give you more support all around therefore your ankle is held in place better. Has your orthopedist or PT ever discussed with you which shoes are better/worse for you?

Yes, she's talked about what I should wear and what I shouldn't. According to her, toms, heels, uggs, basically anything cute is a no no. I have super high arched feet and she said they "pronate"? whatever that means. Basically my ankles are always in a position where they can roll easy.

Which is not the end of the world with most shoes, except for sandals of course and certain heels. You just have to make sure they have a removable insole and enough depth to accomodate the orthotic.

what orthopedic insert should I be looking to get?

Your best bet is to have one made by a podiatrist, certified pedorthist or a certified orthotist. They actually take a mold of your foot and then design something specifically for you. They are not cheap though (they can run around $300). There are many pre-made orthotics though that you can buy, which are much more reasonable in price.
Pronating means that your weight is distributed more toward the inside of your foot rather than your foot being in a neutral position (my older former cp's feet do this; it makes for very weak ankles). The orthotic would keep it at neutral, so if you are looking to buy a pre-made one you would want one that is made to correct pronation and will work with a high arch. There are also sports orthotics that you can buy for your cheer shoes, which my cps have always used, for added support.

Does anyone have pics of their sprains? I'll see if I have mine. I'll also show how I pronante when I stand to show how bad it is

I don´t know what they are exactly called, but there are othopedic technicans that messure your foot and ask you what happend.
Then they make individual ones that should fit perfectly. My son wears them, but we have to go and let them check every 6 months because he is still growing. So if the foot grows, you will need new ones.

Back