Sprained Ankle's And Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Cheer4life654 @GreenStorm Yes, listen to your doctor!!! No matter what the athlete or coach says, do not return to that floor until you have full doctor's clearance. We've learned the hard way - former cp has gone through 2 ankle surgeries and does not cheer anymore. Current cp coming off an ankle injury which happened in early October; she just transitioned from a boot to an air cast and is in PT. She will not be back in cheer probably until mid-December/early January, and even if it means her nuggeting in the back the rest of the season, I would not handle it any other way. Cheer is finite; being able to be pain free and do whatever activities you'd like to for the rest of your life should be the goal.

I completely agree on the "listen to your doctor". But sometimes i experience something like this:
One of my youth athletes has torn ligaments in her ankle at school sports. It´s not the first time since she was a gymnast before cheer. This girl is 11 years old. Now wearing a boot and still in pain, still swollen. It´s been 4 weeks since the injury.
She wants to get back on the floor as soon as possible. I told her i need a doctors release, because i´m sure it´s way to early to do anything besides the excercises a PT would do.
Guess what? The doctor wrote her a release for 8th december. In his opinion she will be good to go by then.
I disagree and talked to her mom. She understood that i just want the best for this girl and she won´t practise until mid January.
Even then i´ll probably won´t let her tumble or jump if i feel that it´s not good yet.
The doctor also told she has a tendonitis because of the previous injuries.
I just hope the doctor released her because he doesn´t know what cheerleaders really do. Everything else would be plain irresponsible. I´m just glad her mother understands my point of view and doesn´t give me the: She will cheer or i´ll take her somewhere else attitude.

On a happy note, cp has been upgraded from the air cast to the ASO lace-up brace and can start basing again (not yet cleared for tumbling but slowly but surely she is getting there).

Back