High School State Competition Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I hate rubrics

I hate the Kentucky HS rubric especially.

There's no rhyme or reason to it, and no one can answer questions about it. We performed skills last year that were either on the rubric in the highest difficulty level or harder than the skills on the rubric in the highest difficulty level. They scored us in the second-highest difficulty level, and no one can explain it. The head judge can't explain it, the assistant commissioner with KHSAA who is over cheerleading cannot explain it, and the other coaches in the state cannot explain it.

This is not sour-grapes from a losing coach. We won our division, and had the highest score in our region. Then we moved on to state competition, and scored 30 points higher with the exact same routine. It's just proof that the rubric fails to accomplish the one thing that it should accomplish: consistency across the state and from competition to competition.

For a state that sends as many or more teams to UCA nationals as any other state in the country, you would think our high school athletic association would make some attempt at getting the state competition right.

I hate rubrics

I hate the Kentucky HS rubric especially.

There's no rhyme or reason to it, and no one can answer questions about it. We performed skills last year that were either on the rubric in the highest difficulty level or harder than the skills on the rubric in the highest difficulty level. They scored us in the second-highest difficulty level, and no one can explain it. The head judge can't explain it, the assistant commissioner with KHSAA who is over cheerleading cannot explain it, and the other coaches in the state cannot explain it.

This is not sour-grapes from a losing coach. We won our division, and had the highest score in our region. Then we moved on to state competition, and scored 30 points higher with the exact same routine. It's just proof that the rubric fails to accomplish the one thing that it should accomplish: consistency across the state and from competition to competition.

For a state that sends as many or more teams to UCA nationals as any other state in the country, you would think our high school athletic association would make some attempt at getting the state competition right.
30 points? That's ridiculous!

Then again, UCA scoring isn't known to be the most consistent thing... maybe KY is emulating that? I mean, they are a UCA state. (kidding)

30 points? That's ridiculous!

Then again, UCA scoring isn't known to be the most consistent thing... maybe KY is emulating that? I mean, they are a UCA state. (kidding)

Actually...

I was overly impressed with the consistency of the scoring from regionals to nationals with UCA this year. Our cheer score was abysmal at regionals. It was the only part of our routine that had been done by a professional choreographer (go figure, and albeit 3 years ago), and our score tanked. So I redid the whole thing for nationals and that part of our nationals score improved for both teams, while the rest were very close to our regionals score. I cannot complain about that one.

Actually...

I was overly impressed with the consistency of the scoring from regionals to nationals with UCA this year. Our cheer score was abysmal at regionals. It was the only part of our routine that had been done by a professional choreographer (go figure, and albeit 3 years ago), and our score tanked. So I redid the whole thing for nationals and that part of our nationals score improved for both teams, while the rest were very close to our regionals score. I cannot complain about that one.
That's good to hear. And I love the fact that your choreo scored higher!

Our UCA scores were all over the place. Regionals to nationals and even just from regionals to regionals. Our first regionals (where we didn't hit) was 20 points higher than the next weeks regionals (where we did hit.) Absolutely no changes in between.

Back