High School State Competition Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

allstarmama

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2010
So I've gotten wind that "The Powers That Be" in Massachusetts are trying to eliminate the best teams in the state from the state competition in order to give "other teams a chance". WAIT WHAT???? Yes, you heard me right. From what I have heard, the plan is to try and implement a new rule that would take the top 8 teams (regardless of division) from Regionals and put them in a separate category to compete at a separate event. Those 8 teams would NOT be eligible to compete for the state title in their division. I'm sorry but this is absolutely ludicrous. These coaches want to be able to compete for a "state" title AFTER removing the best teams in the state. It sounds like some sort of sick joke but it is really being discussed!!! Thoughts?? My thought is NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A TROPHY!!!! If you can't win a state title in your division because teams are better than you UP YOUR GAME!!!

Last edited:
That's just dumb. I agree, up your game. Here they spend a lot of time trying to get teams disqualified from regionals and states for having all star girls on the team . You can have them, but if they miss any high school event for all star your team can get DQd. Our coach says stop spending so much time trying to DQ us and more time working on trying to beat us!

So I've gotten wind that "The Powers That Be" in Massachusetts are trying to eliminate the best teams in the state from the state competition in order to give "other teams a chance". WAIT WHAT???? Yes, you heard me right. From what I have heard, the plan is to try and implement a new rule that would take the top 8 teams (regardless of division) from Regionals and put them in a separate category to compete at a separate event. Those 8 teams would NOT be eligible to compete for the state title in their division. I'm sorry but this is absolutely ludicrous. These coaches want to be able to compete for a "state" title AFTER removing the best teams in the state. It sounds like some sort of sick joke but it is really being discussed!!! Thoughts?? My thought is NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A TROPHY!!!! If you can't win a state title in your division because teams are better than you UP YOUR GAME!!!
While I think it is crazy to take the top 8 teams out and have them compete by themselves. I do have an opinion on this. In NJ we really don't have states but have a sort of States comp in Trenton every year. While it is broken down into divisions, large, small, co-ed., intermediate, advance, etc. We go up against private schools who "Recruit" athletes, not so much for cheer, but other sports and they can draw students from just about anywhere. As a public high school there are 4 towns that attend the school and cheer isn't a sport and we get just enough to pay one coach for the year. The other money comes from the parent organization through fundraising and our yearly comp to pay the asst. coaches, etc. The team has gotten better over the last few years as we have an all-star cheer facility which we now use, but it is expensive and while the parent org. pays a portion of the mat time, choreography, etc. it still costs each cheerleader around $750 to cheer for comp. without uniforms, sneakers, etc. Lots of kids can't afford this and they don't cheer because of the cost, but to be good you need tumbling instruction, stunting, etc. and the more of that you have the more money it costs.

While I think it is crazy to take the top 8 teams out and have them compete by themselves. I do have an opinion on this. In NJ we really don't have states but have a sort of States comp in Trenton every year. While it is broken down into divisions, large, small, co-ed., intermediate, advance, etc. We go up against private schools who "Recruit" athletes, not so much for cheer, but other sports and they can draw students from just about anywhere. As a public high school there are 4 towns that attend the school and cheer isn't a sport and we get just enough to pay one coach for the year. The other money comes from the parent organization through fundraising and our yearly comp to pay the asst. coaches, etc. The team has gotten better over the last few years as we have an all-star cheer facility which we now use, but it is expensive and while the parent org. pays a portion of the mat time, choreography, etc. it still costs each cheerleader around $750 to cheer for comp. without uniforms, sneakers, etc. Lots of kids can't afford this and they don't cheer because of the cost, but to be good you need tumbling instruction, stunting, etc. and the more of that you have the more money it costs.

In MA teams are put into divisions based on the size of the school. For this reason a big regional school like yours would not compete against a smaller private school.

Totally agree with your Point of View...I think eliminating TRUE competition just to make everyone feels like a "special snowflake"... Creates a sense of entitlement.

In Illinois, there are 5 sectionals and the top 5 teams from each sectional go on to compete at state.

This is totally unfair, as some sectionals have 20 of the top teams in the state, and others have maybe 1 or 2 of the top teams.

Every year there is an uproar because some of the best teams took 6th or 7th place, (because they were in a sectional with multiple amazing teams) and therefore don't go to state, while other sectionals take the top 5 teams that don't even compare to the teams who didn't qualify.

Their reasoning is also to make it a fair mix of teams from all over the state. Personally I think it should be the top 25 scores from all 5 sectionals, even thiugh that means my team may not qualify like we usually do.

If they really want to give weaker teams a chance, get them better coaches, with better training and that stay year after year. Get them into tumbling classes. Give their programs more funding.

Don't hurt them (and everyone else) by taking what should be a prestigious competition and water it down. Ugh.

If they really want to give weaker teams a chance, get them better coaches, with better training and that stay year after year. Get them into tumbling classes. Give their programs more funding.

Don't hurt them (and everyone else) by taking what should be a prestigious competition and water it down. Ugh.
I'm not trying to be flip when I say this, but this isn't feasible. Budgets are already cut in most towns in our state. No school is going to pay a private gym for tumbling classes, practices and camps. The schools that do this have parents who have the ability to pay out of pocket for these extras. I have seen an increase in the quality of coaching in several schools, but in most cases those schools either can pay better or the school system has several all star athletes who also cheer, so it is more enticing for a quality coach to apply to those schools.

Talent changes from year to year. My CP's team has an all star coach HOWEVER they have ONE camp and no special all star gym tumbling classes. They tumble on the hard floor in the gym at school just like everyone else.

Talent changes from year to year. My CP's team has an all star coach HOWEVER they have ONE camp and no special all star gym tumbling classes. They tumble on the hard floor in the gym at school just like everyone else.
curious - have the athletes on the team done all stars?

I heard about this as well from our choreographer a few weeks ago. His team will probably be one of the teams to be put in this "D1A" Division so to speak.

I see the pros & cons. The top 8 teams in MA have mostly been consistent over the past few years; so it gives them a bit more of a challenge & competitions. But then the flip slide like you said they lose out on a potential state title they could have earned otherwise without this division.

Interested to see how it plays out ...

Back