High School State Competition Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Basketball games are Tuesday Friday in Kansas.

Football is Friday for varsity and Monday for jv/freshman.

Seems to be standard in my area.

Basketball games are Tuesday Friday in Kansas.

Football is Friday for varsity and Monday for jv/freshman.

Seems to be standard in my area.
In NY basketball was mainly Tuesday and Friday as well. Football games primarily Saturdays with a rare Friday night one.

In NY basketball was mainly Tuesday and Friday as well. Football games primarily Saturdays with a rare Friday night one.
No Friday night lights? That's so weird!!

TN primarily does football on Fridays for varsity. Monday is typically freshman, Tuesdays middle school, and Thursdays JV. Of course middle, freshman and JV can all swap around on their days, but that is a typical week around here.

Basketball is almost always Tuesday and Fridays for HS varsity. An occasional Monday night can get thrown in. Middle school, freshman and JV can be any and all days of the week! Why coaches around here think 3 nights a week (ie 6 games per week) is a good idea is beyond me. I HATE weeks with 6 games! Saturdays are usually little league sports.

We do Friday football in KY as well.

We can, and do, have any type of basketball game on mon, tue, thu, or fri. We have an occasional Saturday game, more of them this year than last.

No Friday night lights? That's so weird!!

TN primarily does football on Fridays for varsity. Monday is typically freshman, Tuesdays middle school, and Thursdays JV. Of course middle, freshman and JV can all swap around on their days, but that is a typical week around here.

Basketball is almost always Tuesday and Fridays for HS varsity. An occasional Monday night can get thrown in. Middle school, freshman and JV can be any and all days of the week! Why coaches around here think 3 nights a week (ie 6 games per week) is a good idea is beyond me. I HATE weeks with 6 games! Saturdays are usually little league sports.
I can only remember one Friday night game in the past few years at our HS. Too many kids pre-gaming so apparently our district not anxious to schedule another one. All the games cp cheered at this season were on Saturdays. Other districts definitely have Friday night games but overall they're not as common here. We live in soccer and lax country, not football.

So our team sectional is tomorrow and coach made a ton of changes to make this more NY state scoresheet friendly. More inversions than we had at our nationals routine.

Good lucky to anyone competing to go to states this weekend.

So our team sectional is tomorrow and coach made a ton of changes to make this more NY state scoresheet friendly. More inversions than we had at our nationals routine.

Good lucky to anyone competing to go to states this weekend.
I've noticed that NY teams love to pack difficulty into their routines, even during the cheer portion. You guys mist have a crazy scoresheet.

I've noticed that NY teams love to pack difficulty into their routines, even during the cheer portion. You guys mist have a crazy scoresheet.

It's mainly because of all the strong teams that place high at nationals that even the teams that don't go try to pack it in as much as they can. I'm on my phone right now I'll find the score sheet when I get home. It certainly is a hard one.

I don't know about other states but in VA, cheer is first and foremost about cheering games. Competing is only within the state within a set period. 2 rounds of districts, regionals, then states, all done by the first week of November, season starts in August. Before districts teams can attend VHSL sanctioned invitationals, to get your feet wet. We did 2 comps prior to districts my senior year and it honestly felt like we had a full comp season. All-Star isn't an option everywhere.

I think to balance a full comp HS squad and all star career is to consider the culture of the town. Are many girls in your HS program on super competitive L5 teams? Maybe you cut your comp season in January. Is HS the only option? Then make your school full season comp. Is it a mix of both? Then have the option. Gyms can try and work to plan smaller locals around HS if they have a lot of athletes from one HS on their team.

I don't know about other states but in VA, cheer is first and foremost about cheering games. Competing is only within the state within a set period. 2 rounds of districts, regionals, then states, all done by the first week of November, season starts in August. Before districts teams can attend VHSL sanctioned invitationals, to get your feet wet. We did 2 comps prior to districts my senior year and it honestly felt like we had a full comp season. All-Star isn't an option everywhere.

I think to balance a full comp HS squad and all star career is to consider the culture of the town. Are many girls in your HS program on super competitive L5 teams? Maybe you cut your comp season in January. Is HS the only option? Then make your school full season comp. Is it a mix of both? Then have the option. Gyms can try and work to plan smaller locals around HS if they have a lot of athletes from one HS on their team.
Excellent point.

Back