High School State Rule Changes For 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 21, 2015
This thread is for new rules about competition/whatever happening in your state. I'll post the 2 that apply everywhere
-Teams must go to camp to go to nationals (a lot of teams on Long Island are a bit mad about this since many normally didn't go to camps and would have their choreography and probably work at an all star gym)
The camp rule doesn't affect a lot of people though since many went anyway.

In Kentucky we tend to not even know about scoring changes until a month before competition time. There is ZERO communication between KHSAA and cheer coaches. There's not even a defined method for interpreting the "difficulty" grid. I'm pretty sure the people who created the difficulty grid never set foot on a cheer mat, as they place skills out of order and have left off some of the most difficult skills that have been made legal in recent years.

This thread is for new rules about competition/whatever happening in your state. I'll post the 2 that apply everywhere
-Teams must go to camp to go to nationals (a lot of teams on Long Island are a bit mad about this since many normally didn't go to camps and would have their choreography and probably work at an all star gym)
The camp rule doesn't affect a lot of people though since many went anyway.
Camp cannot be made mandatory though since technically no school is allowed to have tryouts until two weeks before school starts (when all fall sports begin). Strongly suggested yes, but not mandatory. And it's only if they want to attend UCA nationals; they could go to a NY state sanctioned one such as Reach the Beach without attending UCA camp.

Camp cannot be made mandatory though since technically no school is allowed to have tryouts until two weeks before school starts (when all fall sports begin). Strongly suggested yes, but not mandatory. And it's only if they want to attend UCA nationals; they could go to a NY state sanctioned one such as Reach the Beach without attending UCA camp.

Well actually you can attend any varsity camp and get the credentials, but the team needs them before going to regionals/sending their tape. You can do a home camp but it has to be two days minimum.

Because of the rule change a lot of the camps (NCA and UCA alike) have made camps in the last few weeks of August so teams can go even if the tryouts are late.

I do hate that rule a lot though, cheer is so unlike football/soccer/etc. and having your team down for the summer is a necessity.

Well actually you can attend any varsity camp and get the credentials, but the team needs them before going to regionals/sending their tape. You can do a home camp but it has to be two days minimum.

Because of the rule change a lot of the camps (NCA and UCA alike) have made camps in the last few weeks of August so teams can go even if the tryouts are late.

I do hate that rule a lot though, cheer is so unlike football/soccer/etc. and having your team down for the summer is a necessity.
For our school it is open to everyone - JV, Varsity and kids planning on trying out, so kids paying to attend may not even wind up on a team that is trying to attend UCA Nationals. Ours is a 3 day home camp at the beginning of August focusing on stunting. Tryouts are not even until the week of the 22nd. It is just another money sucking opportunity for Varsity by making these camps required in order to even be eligible for a bid. They used the excuse that the camps are needed so that everyone meets the same minimum level of standards when attending bid comps. My feeling is if they don't meet the standards then just don't award them a bid. Or how about just making the coaches attend a mandatory clinic and teach them the standards and what the minimum expectations are. To me that makes a little more sense.

Luckily only 75% of your team has to attend camp in order to be eligible.

For our school it is open to everyone - JV, Varsity and kids planning on trying out, so kids paying to attend may not even wind up on a team that is trying to attend UCA Nationals. Ours is a 3 day home camp at the beginning of August focusing on stunting. Tryouts are not even until the week of the 22nd. It is just another money sucking opportunity for Varsity by making these camps required in order to even be eligible for a bid. They used the excuse that the camps are needed so that everyone meets the same minimum level of standards when attending bid comps. My feeling is if they don't meet the standards then just don't award them a bid. Or how about just making the coaches attend a mandatory clinic and teach them the standards and what the minimum expectations are. To me that makes a little more sense.

My team only sends varsity to nationals anyway plus there's another stupid rule that middle school teams can't go to camp with us because their season starts on the first day of school,which is in September.

And as Old skool said only 75% of the team you want to qualify has to go so if a few girls miss the world doesn't end. I would have thought the qualifications came from the meetings during camp but after reading it's the team doing it. Maybe do varsity conferences like they have now and do the safety qualifications there could solve it?

Not adding anything to the original topic, but I'm just shocked and jealous of how late all your schools start! We barely have a summer with how late we get out and how early we go back! Normally back August 1st, but last year it was the last week of July.

Not adding anything to the original topic, but I'm just shocked and jealous of how late all your schools start! We barely have a summer with how late we get out and how early we go back! Normally back August 1st, but last year it was the last week of July.

The only thing I know about the south is that you guys end late May and start up mid August? I could be wrong. Up north we end late June and start day after Labor Day.

Are you in KY too?

Are you in KY too?
I'm in Tn.
The only thing I know about the south is that you guys end late May and start up mid August? I could be wrong. Up north we end late June and start day after Labor Day.
I'm sure districts vary across the state but we typically get out between May 28-June 1st and go back between July 25-August 1st. On rare years we have to go even later in June to make up snow days. I guess it equals out to roughly the same amount of time off as y'all. When I was little we didn't go back until after Labor Day and it was awesome!

I'm in Tn.

I'm sure districts vary across the state but we typically get out between May 28-June 1st and go back between July 25-August 1st. On rare years we have to go even later in June to make up snow days. I guess it equals out to roughly the same amount of time off as y'all. When I was little we didn't go back until after Labor Day and it was awesome!

Thats crazy. My school district would go back mid-late August (normally around the 18th though) and we were done middle of May depending on snow days.

I'm in Tn.

Wow that seems really short for a summer, that's barely a month and a half! I took when the last finals are (I got out earlier because I'm a senior) and the last final is july 22st, and labour day is septemder 25, which means a kid here gets 2 months and 5 days off this summer.

Thats crazy. My school district would go back mid-late August (normally around the 18th though) and we were done middle of May depending on snow days.

That's how my district was too. My university in Kansas was done first week of May and usually went back the last week in August, but we only have a three week long winter break. Most of the other universities around me (Missouri and Kansas schools) have a four week long winter break and get out a week after us. My sister's school in Colorado went back after Labor Day and she graduated at the end of May, but they're on trimesters so their schedule is all funky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how my district was too. My university in Kansas was done first week of May and usually went back the last week in August, but we only have a three week long winter break. Most of the other universities around me (Missouri and Kansas schools) have a four week long winter break and get out a week after us. My sister's school in Colorado went back after Labor Day and she graduated at the end of May, but they're on trimesters so their schedule is all funky.

My college had four months of summer break and a full month for winter break. Not including spring break, our short fall break and then a small thanksgiving break. I basically only spent 6 months out of the year at school because we had such long breaks.

Back