High School State Rule Changes For 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm in Tn.

I'm sure districts vary across the state but we typically get out between May 28-June 1st and go back between July 25-August 1st. On rare years we have to go even later in June to make up snow days. I guess it equals out to roughly the same amount of time off as y'all. When I was little we didn't go back until after Labor Day and it was awesome!
My kids are still in school. They finished with classes this past Monday but have had finals and Regents (stupid NY statewide finals for certain subjects) the rest of this week through next Tuesday. Each of them have been in school 2-3 hours each morning - they have an exam and that is it, they go home. They go back the day after Labor Day but a few school districts do go back a few days the week before.

I'm in PA - kids got out last Tuesday and go back the Monday before Labor Day - essentially 2.5 months of vacation.

Im in MA, and the underclassman had finals Tuesday through Friday of this week and then we have a half day Monday. We go back August 30.

Mine had a last half day on May 19 and go back on August 4. I am also in Tennessee.

That is about 2.5 months for them also.

My kids are still in school. They finished with classes this past Monday but have had finals and Regents (stupid NY statewide finals for certain subjects) the rest of this week through next Tuesday. Each of them have been in school 2-3 hours each morning - they have an exam and that is it, they go home. They go back the day after Labor Day but a few school districts do go back a few days the week before.

NY has an obnoxious amount of state testing. Regents are the absolute worst of them. The are especially the worst when you're taking the test in a sealed gym filled with 800+ kids in the heat off late June ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Syracuse area operates the same way but, unless something changed recently, I don't think I've ever heard of schools in the area going back before Labor Day - it's always been after. I'd like to think it's because the NY State Fair runs all the way until Labor Day but I also maybe be making that up in my head :p

ETA: Good luck to your kids for Regents week!

I'm also in PA and our kids get out the 21st and go back the day after Labor Day. HS Grad was last night.

Sweden just got out this past week or so and they usually start up again in the middle of august, they have around a two to three week christmas break and three weeks off in the middle of the school year too. and we only have two semesters. one autumn an one spring. we do have a completly different school system though.

NY has an obnoxious amount of state testing. Regents are the absolute worst of them. The are especially the worst when you're taking the test in a sealed gym filled with 800+ kids in the heat off late June ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Syracuse area operates the same way but, unless something changed recently, I don't think I've ever heard of schools in the area going back before Labor Day - it's always been after. I'd like to think it's because the NY State Fair runs all the way until Labor Day but I also maybe be making that up in my head :p

We have relatives in Petoskey, MI and they do not allow the schools to begin before Labor Day because of tourist season so, I don't think you're making that up. I know in Atlanta, Six Flags and White Water were fighting and pleading with the school district against early start dates because of HS kids being about 75% of their work force. They got the city government involved because of lost tax revenue. The school district won, however, they agreed to do it one week at a time over two years instead of hitting them with the two week earlier start in one year. Our schools end at the end of May and start back Aug. 1 but, now they get a week (or more) break almost every 6 weeks.

There used be a legitimate law in Virginia called the "Kings Dominion Law". Kings Dominion is a big theme park north of Richmond. It was in regards to public schools in Virginia not being allowed to start before Labor Day as to not affect the park's peak season. It was waived or whatever last year and a lot of schools here now start the week before Labor Day. It was really about tourism in general but I always thought it was really funny that an amusement park helped to kind of dictate the school year in the state haha.

This is how our schools work. We have full morning of class, but the last class of the day is a final for one class period. Then three half-days for the finals in the other periods and you only have to show up if you have final. Essentially you can be done on the last day of normal classes if you're exempt. Seniors have to finish their state required classes (Gov and English) before hand because you have to pass them to graduate, so those finals are a week before the school wide final.

There used be a legitimate law in Virginia called the "Kings Dominion Law". Kings Dominion is a big theme park north of Richmond. It was in regards to public schools in Virginia not being allowed to start before Labor Day as to not affect the park's peak season. It was waived or whatever last year and a lot of schools here now start the week before Labor Day. It was really about tourism in general but I always thought it was really funny that an amusement park helped to kind of dictate the school year in the state haha.

I think most VA schools still open post Labor, at least in NOVA, though I'm sure there are some schools in southern VA start earlier.

This is how our schools work. We have full morning of class, but the last class of the day is a final for one class period. Then three half-days for the finals in the other periods and you only have to show up if you have final. Essentially you can be done on the last day of normal classes if you're exempt. Seniors have to finish their state required classes (Gov and English) before hand because you have to pass them to graduate, so those finals are a week before the school wide final.

I think most VA schools still open post Labor, at least in NOVA, though I'm sure there are some schools in southern VA start earlier.
I know Prince William, Stafford, and Loudoun started the week before this past year. Fairfax may have too but I'm not sure about that one.

I know Prince William, Stafford, and Loudoun started the week before this past year. Fairfax may have too but I'm not sure about that one.

Fairfax is my neighbor county (Arlington), I think they start same time we did? I vaguely remember the big fuss over changing the tradition in FCPS. But you may be right because I know kids in FCPS high schools who have already graduated and Arl doesn't get out until next Wednesday and graduation Thursday. Personally I used to wish we started earlier rather than us ending later.

Sports wise, we all could do works out but we couldn't start the actual season-tryouts, camps, scrimmages until August first.

Man I hated regents exams so much, thank god I never have to take one again. I was lucky that a few of them had the grade split up into whatever class you were in,so you took the regents with your class. But taking it in the gym with the whole grade was so nerve racking.

Here in NC kids get out early June (around June 9) and go back in late August. If there are snow days they try to make it up in teacher work days before adding on days to the summer.

I'm in Tn.

I'm sure districts vary across the state but we typically get out between May 28-June 1st and go back between July 25-August 1st. On rare years we have to go even later in June to make up snow days. I guess it equals out to roughly the same amount of time off as y'all. When I was little we didn't go back until after Labor Day and it was awesome!
We ended end of May and start bag up beginning of August too... sucks for the kids (and yes, our camp is like 1 day before we go back to school)

Back