High School State Rule Changes For 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If this is really legal now I'd be so excited.

They taught this at camp, I was also super surprised but it goes along with the adjustment of the rule that both sides of the braced flip don't have to be on the two sides of the cheerleader anymore. Kind of exciting!

In FL, we are allowed to have our tryouts way before school starts. For Varsity and JV (a.k.a incoming 10th,11th, and 12th graders) have our tryouts before school ends in like the end of April and we have a Spring game that both JV and Varsity cheer together. Then after school ends (around the last week of may) we have incoming freshmen tryouts. We continue with practices all summer and JV/Freshmen camp are a home camps near mid July and Varsity this year have a beach camp with UCA the first week of August and then the 2nd/3rd week of August school starts and we continue with practices:)

They taught this at camp, I was also super surprised but it goes along with the adjustment of the rule that both sides of the braced flip don't have to be on the two sides of the cheerleader anymore. Kind of exciting!

That's not a braced flip. That's a braced roll. Seems like a matter of semantics, but maintaining contact with an original base or spotter is what makes this legal (at least according to my understanding). If that were a person uninvolved in the original stunt, not legal.

If this is really legal now I'd be so excited.

I'm excited too but - maybe its because they just learned it or maybe its the way its braced but they both traveled and weren't straight and almost hit the middle half

If its just because they are obviously just learning it then that's good - but if its because the way its braced I'm a little OCD lol

I'm excited too but - maybe its because they just learned it or maybe its the way its braced but they both traveled and weren't straight and almost hit the middle half

If its just because they are obviously just learning it then that's good - but if its because the way its braced I'm a little OCD lol

Oh yeah the team was most certainly just learning it I bet after the video the instructor made the corrections.

I feel like the girl in the middle half will also have to bend her legs and help brace the cradle lower in order to prevent that traveling, but again, looks like they just learned it so it's pretty good looking!

I feel like the girl in the middle half will also have to bend her legs and help brace the cradle lower in order to prevent that traveling, but again, looks like they just learned it so it's pretty good looking!
Yes definitely.. I am curious to see what comes up as far as videos of new stuff that is legal!

Yes definitely.. I am curious to see what comes up as far as videos of new stuff that is legal!

At staff training they gave a few examples of what was newly legal and it made my heart so happy :) unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me to record but i will try my best to interpret it though text as best as I can.

with the outside prep facing inwards, (can be double based) the trick group starts as if doing a rewind grip, (braced) and the bases transition her into a flat back,dead bug position. They then can be popped straight up to a cupie or even a one leg extension, no flip. this would be considered a braced roll.

One of my favorites, with the same set up as before, the flyer will be on her back but instead in a split position and the backspot grabs the leg and ankle and can do a backward inversion "J" up to the top. Love this transition!
All of these new changes are game changers for smaller teams that can allow them to be even more competitive by hitting the score sheet.

At staff training they gave a few examples of what was newly legal and it made my heart so happy :) unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me to record but i will try my best to interpret it though text as best as I can.

with the outside prep facing inwards, (can be double based) the trick group starts as if doing a rewind grip, (braced) and the bases transition her into a flat back,dead bug position. They then can be popped straight up to a cupie or even a one leg extension, no flip. this would be considered a braced roll.

One of my favorites, with the same set up as before, the flyer will be on her back but instead in a split position and the backspot grabs the leg and ankle and can do a backward inversion "J" up to the top. Love this transition!
All of these new changes are game changers for smaller teams that can allow them to be even more competitive by hitting the score sheet.

My school's JV could have used this last year they only had 9 members. They did have a really cool pyramid where there were bases in the front and back.

(Gonna try to explain this best I can)

The bases tossed and the backspot would twist the flyer, and the flyer would land in cradle to the girls on the back. It was a really cool pyramid.

My school's JV could have used this last year they only had 9 members. They did have a really cool pyramid where there were bases in the front and back.

(Gonna try to explain this best I can)

The bases tossed and the backspot would twist the flyer, and the flyer would land in cradle to the girls on the back. It was a really cool pyramid.
I know right! Would have been so helpful before! But better late than never i suppose! and I love that dismount. It adds a nice visual and is a pretty easy way to add some difficulty!

Back