Summit Bid J5 Question...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If all the Y5 teams go on the WC bids, then who ever wins on Friday will have no competition on any of the other days? Will Y5 be a one day Summit comp? Can the Youth 5 teams only upgrade to paid now and not get an at large during the rest of the season? I'm very interested to see how this plays out. I love watching youth 5 but this does seem really strange to me. Will gyms even take their Y5's on these WC bids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think it is possible that there are MORE junior and senior teams and that's why they get more bids? I know that is the case where I live. The teams here will battle for maybe FIFTEEN Summit Bids. There is one competition this season in Washington giving Summit bids and one in Oregon. Anything else, we have to fly to. They are hard to get here. Few teams will go. At our comps, youth teams are eligible.

I see about an equal amount of youth/junior teams and less senior teams in my area- I realize that could just be my perception. I wish there was some kind of level playing field for bids- like everyone submits a video of their best performance and then you are awarded an invite. Just an idea of a way to get an equal amount of teams across divisions as compared to 300 senior teams.

If all the Y5 teams go on the WC bids, then who ever wins on Friday will have no competition on any of the other days? Will Y5 be a one day Summit comp? Can the Youth 5 teams only upgrade to paid now and not get an at large during the rest of the season? I'm very interested to see how this plays out. I love watching youth 5 but this does seem really strange to me. Will gyms even take their Y5's on these WC bids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the exact question we have been asking since we found out about this! No one seems to know the answer. I would assume (and you know what happens then) that in this case- the bid acts as more of an AL than a WC. So teams compete Friday and then the usual AL elimination rules are in place for Sunday's finals. But who knows! Varsity has not posted more information than the little blurb on Twitter.

I know in the case of SOH, our gym rep was not told youth were not eligible for a bid until team check-in. At that point it is too late to back out. And yes, we built our season around getting a Summit bid.

Interesting that our gym was fully aware of this caveat two weeks prior to the SOH competition and yours was not informed.

My daughter competed on a j1 team at the Summit the first year. It was an underrepresented group as well with 8 teams, I think. I have no clue how many j1 teams there are total, but not a massive amount...and I'd guess it's not super easy to get a j1 bid. Maybe that's my perception. ;)

Interesting that our gym was fully aware of this caveat two weeks prior to the SOH competition and yours was not informed.

That is extremely interesting to me. I wonder if gym owners were told and the info was not passed down. And if we had decided to pull out once notified, would we have gotten our comp fee back?

The frustrating thing to me about SOH was that Youth teams got bids (2 of them), but those were already awarded before Youth 5 even hit the mat. That was confusing. If youth teams ARE eligible, then how can you award before they all go?

It is very possible someone from our gym overlooked the Y5 can't get bids info and didn't figure it out until check in, since we have heard from several that they knew ahead of time.

Isn't the Summit a comp that was originally (under another name) comprised, at least partly???, of video submissions? I might be getting my info mixed up. A team at my daughter's prior gym won a video comp before the Summit was in existence.

Isn't the Summit a comp that was originally (under another name) comprised, at least partly???, of video submissions? I might be getting my info mixed up. A team at my daughter's prior gym won a video comp before the Summit was in existence.

You may be thinking of U.S. Finals. There are various competition locations where you compete to win your division at that event. Then all the videos from each location are watched and judged again to determine an overall winner.

Again, I get this. But I also know that my CPs team out scored a BUNCH of teams that got Summit bids already (raw score and percent perfection wise). To imply that they don't deserve to be there is not true for all of them, try just weren't eligible for bids, because EPs weren't considering Y5. Maybe they knew about this change for a long time, and Varsity directed them not to?

But if there are other youth 5 teams there, and they compete against each other? Try to stand between my CP and that ring. Don't penalize the teams because of a decision that was not theirs.

I did state that if a team had a higher score at SOH that they should have been given the bid. I completely agree with that.

Maybe Varsity did direct them not to but if that was the case then the only teams NOT eligible to receive bids should have been Y5 since Varsity knew they were just going to hand that division wild card bids willy nilly.

If there are other Y5 teams at the Summit that actually earned their at large or paid bids like all the other divisions then by all means let's have the 8 exhibition Y5 wild cards compete on Friday and the winner of those eight can then compete on Saturday to see if they make the cut to Sunday.

That is the ONLY scenario where the winner of this division at Summit will have earned the honor to be called a Summit Champion and to wear that ring.

Otherwise the winner should just be happy they were able to attend the Summit.

The frustrating thing to me about SOH was that Youth teams got bids (2 of them), but those were already awarded before Youth 5 even hit the mat. That was confusing. If youth teams ARE eligible, then how can you award before they all go?

It is very possible someone from our gym overlooked the Y5 can't get bids info and didn't figure it out until check in, since we have heard from several that they knew ahead of time.

Okay yes. I think we are in complete agreement on this. That was crazy!! Our team is a Y4 and we had been told we were not eligible to receive a bid at SOH. So now I'm wondering if it was just Y5 and Y4. I completely think your Y5 should have been given a bid there BTW.

Since we aren't Varsity employees, as you are, we can't penalize your teams. Since Summit bids in some areas are nearly impossible to get for any levels, it's unlikely we'll be there to physically stand between your child and her ring, anyway. [emoji6] But we can discuss it and share opinions.

Oh, it would be extremely frowned upon but I just would be curious to see if that happened. I didn't realize they they had to have already competed as a Youth 5. That's good that they put that in place to make sure that people aren't just trying to get a free invite to Summit.

You may be thinking of U.S. Finals. There are various competition locations where you compete to win your division at that event. Then all the videos from each location are watched and judged again to determine an overall winner.

I think @amy1k was thinking of International All-Levels, which was the same idea. It was a Varsity event that was around for a few years and was nixed when the Summit came along.

That is extremely interesting to me. I wonder if gym owners were told and the info was not passed down. And if we had decided to pull out once notified, would we have gotten our comp fee back?

Good question. Who knows? It didn't make sense for the EP to not give bids to the Y teams but then some did receive bids. It just seems that Varsity has made a mess with all this.

Back