Summit Bid J5 Question...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think the only equitable answer to this is not have EPs be allowed to choose divisions to award ahead of time. Say (like NCA) that there are x numbers of bids, 1 to level 5, one to 4, etc... Then award on straight up percent of perfection.

That seems like it would be fair, right?

Sorry to sound so snappy earlier. I would most likely feel the same way if it was my CP on the other side of this.

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I do think more bids should be given out to senior teams. Senior teams can be comprised of girls who are aging out of cheer, and will never get to compete again. I really don't care if someone Y3 is better than a S3, I would rather have the senior team go and let those girls have their final moment of cheer be at a huge comp. Chances are a lot of those youth girls will have their moment to go to the summit, or even worlds. Again, my own personal opinion. I also do not agree with the Y5 bids. There should be a set amount of bids designated for each division.

ETA I know the summit is supposed to be "the best of the best" but even when the summit was created I felt it should be limited to senior teams only so I think I'm a little biased here.

I think the only equitable answer to this is not have EPs be allowed to choose divisions to award ahead of time. Say (like NCA) that there are x numbers of bids, 1 to level 5, one to 4, etc... Then award on straight up percent of perfection.

That seems like it would be fair, right?

Sorry to sound so snappy earlier. I would most likely feel the same way if it was my CP on the other side of this.

No I get it, no worries at all. I agree with not choosing which divisions to award ahead of time. I honestly think that Varsity didn't think this thing through before they decided to give the Y5 the wild card bids.

Yes!!! That's it. I bet it was less profitable to do a video comp. lol!

And we know it is all about the $$. My thought was more of a video submission to get the bid, then those people travel to compete against each other. That way we could have equity among divisions and no hard feelings because Y4 only has 3 teams and S3 has 20. And the video has to be from a Varsity sponsored event- not an edited practice video. But that is just my crazy brain after 4 ice days home with my kids!

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I do think more bids should be given out to senior teams. Senior teams can be comprised of girls who are aging out of cheer, and will never get to compete again. I really don't care if someone Y3 is better than a S3, I would rather have the senior team go and let those girls have their final moment of cheer be at a huge comp. Chances are a lot of those youth girls will have their moment to go to the summit, or even worlds. Again, my own personal opinion. I also do not agree with the Y5 bids. There should be a set amount of bids designated for each division.

ETA I know the summit is supposed to be "the best of the best" but even when the summit was created I felt it should be limited to senior teams only so I think I'm a little biased here.
I personally wish the Summit was a senior only event as well. But more teams = more money so I see why youth and juniors are invited.

It would give non-level 5 kids a reason to remain in cheer (probably helping retention rates) and a ultimate goal to work towards if they knew their chance would come once they became a senior. (But on the flip side, it would increase the "MY BABY IS 10 WHY ISN'T SHE ON A SENIOR TEAM YET" drama)

Last edited:
It would be fun to throw the whole thing off by putting together a competitive y5 team, to try to get a bid. Then you'd have a 50/50 chance of winning the Summit, since only 1 WC team can move on. ;)

OLYMPIUM YOUTH 5! Combine kids from all 3 gyms to make a Summit team. They can be a tribute team and use our music and choreo. :p

We already have a HUGE problem of people thinking SENIOR means better. Some parents think their 10 year old needs to be on THE BEST team and that is a SENIOR even if the gym is fielding a junior and youth at the same level. So unless USASF puts in rules that people go on the team for their age and quit aging up to make fetus flyers and bending to wills of parents then it really isn't the last shot for Seniors. But we will have to agree to disagree because if my Y3 is spending just as much hours in the gym doing just as much work then they deserve just as much chance at competing against the best of the best in my mind :) The way the system is set now so few of the Y teams are even being considered at the upper levels they may not get a shot till they are Seniors anyway.

Good question. Who knows? It didn't make sense for the EP to not give bids to the Y teams but then some did receive bids. It just seems that Varsity has made a mess with all this.
I thought (when it was originally talked about here) that the poster said youth teams weren't eligible for PAID bids. So it would make sense if summit bids were awarded by level that the lower level youth teams received at larges before y5 even competed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We already have a HUGE problem of people thinking SENIOR means better. Some parents think their 10 year old needs to be on THE BEST team and that is a SENIOR even if the gym is fielding a junior and youth at the same level. So unless USASF puts in rules that people go on the team for their age and quit aging up to make fetus flyers and bending to wills of parents then it really isn't the last shot for Seniors. But we will have to agree to disagree because if my Y3 is spending just as much hours in the gym doing just as much work then they deserve just as much chance at competing against the best of the best in my mind :) The way the system is set now so few of the Y teams are even being considered at the upper levels they may not get a shot till they are Seniors anyway.

Completely agree. Might as well just lower the age limit on senior teams to 6 at that point because if youth teams weren't allowed to go to Summit at all, they'd pretty much cease to exist.

Back