Summit Bid J5 Question...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I thought (when it was originally talked about here) that the poster said youth teams weren't eligible for PAID bids. So it would make sense if summit bids were awarded by level that the lower level youth teams received at larges before y5 even competed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could be misunderstanding the part about youth bids - but there are youth teams that have paid summit bids, so other competitions have given them.

Summit is still new enough that kinks are going to take years to work out here. That said changing rules mid season not so cool - yes Y5 who have competed at a Varsity event small group . I think if I were a J5 team or a true Y5 that was getting ready to compete at one and had not yet I might be frustrated by this change. Because it did say only those who have already competed Y5 this year at a VARSITY event (and yes it was totally to keep Y4s from pushing up for this option so makes total sense but I think there may be one or 2 somewhere of Y5s that could end up on the wrong side of this). Best choice of course is when you make rules for a season you follow them and then sit down and figure out how to fix it for the next. That in no way means I think Y5s were not getting rooked but the fact is so are Y4s and even Y3s with how things are currently but mid year changes that on top of it apparently leaked out - not good for a sport as a whole.

We already have a HUGE problem of people thinking SENIOR means better. Some parents think their 10 year old needs to be on THE BEST team and that is a SENIOR even if the gym is fielding a junior and youth at the same level. So unless USASF puts in rules that people go on the team for their age and quit aging up to make fetus flyers and bending to wills of parents then it really isn't the last shot for Seniors. But we will have to agree to disagree because if my Y3 is spending just as much hours in the gym doing just as much work then they deserve just as much chance at competing against the best of the best in my mind :) The way the system is set now so few of the Y teams are even being considered at the upper levels they may not get a shot till they are Seniors anyway.

I think this might of been misconstrued, in no way am I implying that the senior level teams are better. And yes, there can be little ones on the senior aged teams, but 18 year old high school seniors can not be on a youth or junior team. Therefore, my reasoning behind wanting them to experience a competition of this scale .

Tbh, the reason why Worlds work out so well is because teams are selected from only 1 division and 1 level... It seems Summit is a great idea, but too huge and fat of a concept..I think Summit should be more focus and limit it to levels 3-4, R5 and divisions Youth- Seniors... I think Worlds should be open to the J5 teams again... Right now, Summit is more about economics And often awarding of bids have come too late for it to be feasible to go for some teams...

I am still wondering how this WC bid thing is going to work out... Many people who think this is an unfair advantage and unfair that all Y5 are receiving such a wonderful gift, doesn't understand the conundrum this may put these young people in...My understanding of WC bids the Y5 teams are now not eligible for any At Large bids and to compete solely in the Summit semi finals must win paid bids only... Y5 athletes must compete in 3 rounds and I am still wondering if only the top 2 teams move on or bottom 2 must pack up the first night and go home... I think WC teams have a difficult shot at winning at Summit. .. Doing 2 perfect routines is a challenge, but expected to compete 3 perfect routines is not feasible...

I am still wondering how this WC bid thing is going to work out... Many people who think this is an unfair advantage and unfair that all Y5 are receiving such a wonderful gift, doesn't understand the conundrum this may put these young people in...My understanding of WC bids the Y5 teams are now not eligible for any At Large bids and to compete solely in the Summit semi finals must win paid bids only... Y5 athletes must compete in 3 rounds and I am still wondering if only the top 2 teams move on or bottom 2 must pack up the first night and go home... I think WC teams have a difficult shot at winning at Summit. .. Doing 2 perfect routines is a challenge, but expected to compete 3 perfect routines is not feasible...

I'm positive the youth 5s will be operating on their own set of rules. For the rest of us, no matter how many there are, only the very top score in each WC division will move to day two. Then however many are deemed to (by division size) will move to finals. It's impossible to do y5 that way...because they all have WC bids, so only one can move on and compete on day two against??? I guess some mystery y5s. Lol!

Last edited:
Completely agree. Might as well just lower the age limit on senior teams to 6 at that point because if youth teams weren't allowed to go to Summit at all, they'd pretty much cease to exist.
I can agree to an extent, but up until two years ago there was no Summit and there were still youth teams. And still Junior 5s still exist even though they have stopped attending Worlds. I do think there is a "senior = better" mentality issue in cheer, but on the flip side some issues arise when you're OVERLY inclusive as well.

I don't think the Summit can go back now and start eliminating divisions. I just wish it would have started out as Senior only and continued that way. But money talks, and more age divisions = more income.

Last edited:
I could be misunderstanding the part about youth bids - but there are youth teams that have paid summit bids, so other competitions have given them.
I believe they were just referring to that specific competition. Spirit of Hope announced they would not be awarding paid bids to youth teams.

The only thing I wish about summit bids is that every comp had the exact same declaration.

Just like someone else mentioned their kids getting skipped over for bids but the same thing has happened to my daughters team although we do have a summit bid.

Last year ACA said they would not give paid bids to level 2 or 1

So we got a bid and it was at large and we didn't go on it ... But it sucked because we would have beat out another team (although it would of likely took the paid bid from our j3 or j4 probably not @SheCheers j5 but I felt that level 4 and 5 should of been combined and level 1&2 should of had the opportunity for a paid bid since their is way more of those then eligible level 5s for summit)
And yes I believe their j5 outscored our j4 so that would of took the paid bid from our 4 but I was just unhappy that aca excluded level 2s)

This year ACA changed the rules and had half as many bids ... And they decided they would give it to the top highest scores of the whole comp!! And yes the highest scores of the whole comp was our youth 2 and CA y1.

They are the only teams that were given paid bids...

However had they of done it like the previous year @SheCheers j5 would have a bid if the scoring wasn't crazy, and our j3 would of been given at at large bid there but unfortunately it didn't happen like that.

2 years in a row the declaration was exactly the opposite to keep my kid from getting a paid bid or a bid in general. So I just wish every declaration was the exact same .... And yes I say that understanding that with the previous rules it would of took the bid from both our y2 and j2 this year but I would prefer one thing across the board.

It would make life easier.

We ended up getting paid at the following comp this year because we had the highest score of the whole comp...

So it works out but it's frustrating when things change

Last edited:
The only thing I wish about summit bids is that every comp had the exact same declaration.

Just like someone else mentioned their kids getting skipped over for bids but the same thing has happened to my daughters team although we do have a summit bid.

Last year ACA said they would not give paid bids to level 2 or 1

So we got a bid and it was at large and we didn't go on it ... But it sucked because we would have beat out another team (although it would of likely took the paid bid from our j3 or j4 probably not @SheCheers j5 but I felt that level 4 and 5 should of been combined and level 1&2 should of had the opportunity for a paid bid since their is way more of those then eligible level 5s for summit)
And yes I believe their j5 outscored our j4 so that would of took the paid bid from our 4 but I was just unhappy that aca excluded level 2s)

This year ACA changed the rules and had half as many bids ... And they decided they would give it to the top highest scores of the whole comp!! And yes the highest scores of the whole comp was our youth 2 and CA y1.

They are the only teams that were given paid bids...

However had they of done it like the previous year @SheCheers j5 would have a bid if the scoring wasn't crazy, and our j3 would of been given at at large bid there but unfortunately it didn't happen like that.

2 years in a row the declaration was exactly the opposite to keep my kid from getting a paid bid or a bid in general. So I just wish every declaration was the exact same .... And yes I say that understanding that with the previous rules it would of took the bid from both our y2 and j2 this year but I would prefer one thing across the board.

It would make life easier.

We ended up getting paid at the following comp this year because we had the highest score of the whole comp...

So it works out but it's frustrating when things change

I agree. I think there should be a set standard for how Paid and At-Large bids are dispersed at each competition and the Wild Cards can be handed out at a competition's discretion. I know Varsity has "guidelines," but each competition can ultimately choose how they give out the bids. This way, every team that attends Summit on Paid and At-Large bids have been chosen by the same "standards." This would probably still end with an uneven dispersion on bids between the different divisions, but would hopefully get rid of that "something's not right" feeling that I think a lot of people are experiencing this year with all of the mid-year changes.

That's what I would assume to but that is not what I'm hearing and if R5 is included our chances just got a whole lot smaller!! Technically R5 and 5 are not the same level and the skill set is truly different. BUT I think 4.2 gets lumped with 4 so maybe you are right. If anyone has any very specific info about the J5's Y5's and being eligible for paid bids please let me know! Our gym will not go if the bid is not paid. Thanks!
Level 5 bid would include restricted 5 just as 4.2 is included in the level 4 bids.

Did anyone see that on Varisty's page with bid winners, all Y5 are now listed as AL? I'm not surprised since how would you do Saturday and Sunday's competition if only 1 wildcard team moved on, but really?????? Also, I don't even see a spot anymore anywhere for Y4. I assume that means no Y4 teams have received a bid of any sort. I wonder if Varsity will be as generous with this division.

Back