Summit Bid J5 Question...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Privileged information = gossip, imo.

Honestly, it sounds like a much greater percentage of y5 teams end up with Summit bids than other groups. Like, in my experience, it's much harder to get a bid for j3 or s4. I don't have the numbers to prove that, of course. *shrug*
I would think it was gossip if it wasn't coming from someone who works in the industry.... I believe for varsity... CEA_ATC has mentioned working at comps several times in other threads so his info seems like it would be reliable... Whatever it may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think it was gossip if it wasn't coming from someone who works in the industry.... I believe for varsity... CEA_ATC has mentioned working at comps several times in other threads so his info seems like it would be reliable... Whatever it may be.

Maybe it was the post's placement in the thread about j5 that made it seem gossipy.

Working in what capactiy? He didn't seem to know that levels 2-5 were all on a 100 score sheet.

CP is not J5, just Y5. She's not a flyer, so at 10, J5 is not much of an option until she gets a bit bigger, or loses the squeamishness in the air. (Huge for a 10 year old youth- 4'10" and size 9 women's shoes, but smallish for Juniors without being in the air).

I'm curious, because she does seem tall for her age. I thought many of the flyers on YE were also on J5? and My cp is a flyer on Junior team and she was based by a girl who was 4'9" last season. actually two of them were about that size. Not one of our flyers is over 4'7" so it would seem 4'10" would be pretty tall for a junior flyer. I think it's logical that she could be on a J5 as well.

I'm a registered nurse...I've "worked" comps and Woodward...I wouldn't call myself a reliable source for all things cheer.

The info is not through Varsity. I work as an athletic trainer with a variety of EPs, and I get to hear a lot of coach talk.

I'm curious, because she does seem tall for her age. I thought many of the flyers on YE were also on J5? and My cp is a flyer on Junior team and she was based by a girl who was 4'9" last season. actually two of them were about that size. Not one of our flyers is over 4'7" so it would seem 4'10" would be pretty tall for a junior flyer. I think it's logical that she could be on a J5 as well.
We do have a handful of kids on both. My CP wasn't ready yet last year, and may not be next year, who knows? I never attempt to understand what coaches have in mind for a routine, since they are thinking about entire squads, while I am only thinking of CP. I am all about her working her way up gradually... But if she was paired with the right stunt group and flyer, no doubt she could base J5. Maybe next year??

I am all new to this since we just switched to a bigger gym and cp got put on j5. This summit stuff is intense!!! My brain can not keep up with all the rules and switching of how bids are handed down quite yet. I know at NCA we have to win to even have a chance correct? If the team that wins (if it's not us) already has a bid does it get passed down to the next team? Or no? I know our gym wants us to go and I think will be disappointed if we don't get a bid. Some parents have already made reservations for summit.

What the heck with the freaking snarky answers? Yes, my 10 ear old daughter wants ALL of the 8 Youth 5 teams to come to one comp. so what? For Youth 5, that is a big division. There are basically that many Large Senior teams competing anywhere, but I don't hear this crap about that division. "It's not popular" should probably be changed to "Its hard as hell to field a team", but does that mean EPs look down on it? These kids are amazing young talents, and to downplay their entire division is freaking insulting. We travel all over the place (highest comp and travel fees in our entire 10 gym company) to seek out competition... But you seem to imply that we enjoy going unopposed? What? Would you rather we take this Y5 team down to Y4? Then we get accused of sandbagging.

Bottom line: these kids compete in Youth 5 which has been restricted by the USASF, not by their abilities. My CP would have loved to have a shot at the unrestricted Y5 before they changed it, but she doesn't get to choose when she was born, either.

Yes, you hit a nerve.

I never commented before negatively but wanted to let you know I love YOUTH 5. I have youth athletes (not 5) and I truly applaud gyms that can and do field teams with all youth age athletes in the higher levels. Developmentally it is a tough group. The oldest on Youth are usually mid growth spurts which create a myriad of issues. Flyers in this age group need to be strong because they are not "FETUS" flyers like everyone complains about but girls flying with their peers as bases. My base girls will tell you yep a little mini is much easier than their same age flyer but their team has girls who are youth age as their flyers and they love that challenge and their flyers love it just as much. So best of luck to your Youth team may they bring it and have some awesome competition. It is tough for this age/level because unless it is a big comp you just don't get a lot of competition and it isn't a matter of just taking a first it is earning that first!

I am all new to this since we just switched to a bigger gym and cp got put on j5. This summit stuff is intense!!! My brain can not keep up with all the rules and switching of how bids are handed down quite yet. I know at NCA we have to win to even have a chance correct? If the team that wins (if it's not us) already has a bid does it get passed down to the next team? Or no? I know our gym wants us to go and I think will be disappointed if we don't get a bid. Some parents have already made reservations for summit.

Their bid declaration does say only division winners, and only 1 paid per level. So 5 paids, and at larges to winners, or passed down to those that don't have one yet

I think @CEA_ATC being in a Y5 division becomes a double edged sword...Because the division have so few teams, we often find ourselves competing against the same teams and I think it becomes an economic question, is it financially worth it to spend that amount of money to compete against teams you just competed against 3 weeks ago...Is Summit worth it enough to go and challenge for it? Possibly, at this point maybe or maybe not... But in retrospect, how are we any different than LAG, with maybe only 8 competitive teams, 8 total and Large Coed with a limited number of teams too... I am trying to understand why we do not hear a cry to get rid of LAG or even Large Coed because of a lack of competition...just Y5, ummm???

ps: I've been to just as many competitions where WCSS had no competition and the crowd went wild to see them...

Last edited:
So can anyone tell me what they will do about J5 if there aren't enough? Do they combine large and small? Coed and all girl? Are there enough teams? This is our first year being on a J5 so just curious? [emoji1]

Yes, I believe all division winners have first priority on bids. If the top scoring division winning team already has one, it should get passed down to the next highest scoring division winner. So there's a possibility that a second place team could have a higher score than a team that actually wins the bid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So can anyone tell me what they will do about J5 if there aren't enough? Do they combine large and small? Coed and all girl? Are there enough teams? This is our first year being on a J5 so just curious? [emoji1]

There were only 2 J5 teams last year in the coed division. So they will run a division with only 2. Youth 5 they combined small and large, so they will do that, too. Really depends on who accepts, I guess.

Back