OT Sweet 16 Average Budget

• Thread starter Deleted member 41136
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Thank you for bringing this up. I also have a savings account for college which has money i have never even seen before. My job brings in about $10,000 a year after taxes and all that sh!t. 40% of the money I earn plus what my parents can spare goes to my college savings. 40% of my money goes to my savings account which is for all of my wants that my parents wont pay for. The last 20% is the amount i give myself to spend on snacks, books, and any fun stuff that isnt expensive. I appreciate you bringing this up as many people would probably call me crazy to be focused on Disney not college.

I don't think you're crazy, you're 15. But if I was a parent I wouldn't let my 15 year old pay $8k of their savings for a family trip (even if it was for your bday). I think it's fantastic that you're offering and not just expecting your parents to foot the bill for it though.

I was (un)lucky enough to turn 16 right after that show really started in 05-06, and if you add up the amount my mom probably paid for gifts for each sweet 16 I probably could have paid for my own. From the girls on the cheerleading team alone, I had at least 2 a month to go to - that not only required a gift for the birthday girl, but for me to wear a semi-formal dress. the costs are nuts.

I also don't think I went to one that wasn't pre-gamed by a majority of the people there OR even better, the parents providing alcohol at said sweet 16. because what's more fun than a bunch of sloppy drunk 16 year olds?

Well that's not super illegal or anything :mad::eek: those parents are VERY lucky they did not get caught ....

Well that's not super illegal or anything :mad::eek: those parents are VERY lucky they did not get caught ....

the "best" was the sweet 16 I attended that was held in the PBA (police) hall that was connected to the police station... with 3 kegs. and kids puking in the parking lot everywhere. there apparently was an even wilder after party, but i did not attend that part so i can't confirm.

For my 16th, my mom took me and my best friend to the state fair(2 hours from where we live) and we stayed there for two nights in a nice hotel, went shopping at this huge mall/outdoor shopping complex, and got my hair done at a nice salon while my friend and her got manicures. Nothing extravagant but seriously some of the best memories I have from birthdays. Every true "sweet 16" party I went to was full of drama and nonsense so I'm glad I didn't go that route.

My 16th birthday was December 6th 2012. I live in California, so when I heard Senior Elite was going to American Grand in Vegas December of 2012, my dad (who I'm very close to) took me to Vegas to watch them compete as they were my favorite team. Not only was it a great trip with my dad, but seeing Senior Elite live was a much bigger deal to me than any party.

@cheergirl2000 while I truly appreciate your willingness to pay for almost all of the trip, if I was your mom I would not want you spending all the $ you have worked hard for on a Sweet 16 trip. I would prefer you saved that money for college or a downpayment for something down the road.

That was my initial thought too. I would never want my child to save up that much money over such a long period of time, just to spend it on a birthday present for themselves, when they could do so much more with it. I would feel terrible that they had to provide for themselves what they really wanted instead of me being able to provide for them (even though it shows a huge level of responsibility on their part to be able to do so, and then I'd probably just cry about how responsible and amazing they are, and how fast they're growing up).

Long story short, as most everyone else has said, I'd ask them what their idea of a budget is, and what they're willing to do (not just financially but event wise) and then start planning and creating your perfect sweet sixteen with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my initial thought too. I would never want my child to save up that much money over such a long period of time, just to spend it on a birthday present for themselves, when they could do so much more with it. I would feel terrible that they had to provide for themselves what they really wanted instead of me being able to provide for them (even though it shows a huge level of responsibility on their part to be able to do so, and then I'd probably just cry about how responsible and amazing they are, and how fast they're growing up).

Long story short, as most everyone else has said, I'd ask them what their idea of a budget is, and what they're willing to do (not just financially but event wise) and then start planning and creating your perfect sweet sixteen with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand all of this, but its not their money or their budget. I am paying for it. I even took off one option and it brought it down by half.

the "best" was the sweet 16 I attended that was held in the PBA (police) hall that was connected to the police station... with 3 kegs. and kids puking in the parking lot everywhere. there apparently was an even wilder after party, but i did not attend that part so i can't confirm.
Dear...Lord...:confused:

I understand all of this, but its not their money or their budget. I am paying for it. I even took off one option and it brought it down by half.
You sound exactly like my 15 year old: "It's my money! I can do what I want with it!"

Were your parents against you spending your $ to begin with, or just against supplementing the $500 you wanted them to kick in as your gift?

You mentioned you have been in an ED clinic for the past two months. Maybe there are other reasons aside from the cost that they are not in support of the whole idea?

You sound exactly like my 15 year old: "It's my money! I can do what I want with it!"

Were your parents against you spending your $ to begin with, or just against supplementing the $500 you wanted them to kick in as your gift?
Im not sure which it was but either way it looks like I'm not doing anything for my birthday.

There are probably options available between what you wanted and nothing.
They pretty much told me that I'm not doing anything for my birthday. But there was other options

10k after taxes? Damn that's impressive

**Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free-yeah, to feel the way I feel
Man! I feel like a woman!**
Not that I believe about 99% of what's in this thread... But in Chicago a minimum wage job at 20 hours a week will bring you over 10k before taxes, so add a couple hours a week and I could see 10k after taxes. I worked at 15 and made well over minimum wage (and worked a little over 20 hours a week) so it is possible.

The saving? Not so much. [emoji13]

@MissCongeniality tell your daughter be glad she's not in Chicago - she'd have 3 extra years. My daughter has been a hostess since she turned 18. She turns 21 this month and is counting the minutes until she can FINALLY serve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Not that I believe about 99% of what's in this thread... But in Chicago a minimum wage job at 20 hours a week will bring you over 10k before taxes, so add a couple hours a week and I could see 10k after taxes. I worked at 15 and made well over minimum wage (and worked a little over 20 hours a week) so it is possible.

@MissCongeniality tell your daughter be glad she's not in Chicago - she'd have 3 extra years. My daughter has been a hostess since she turned 18. She turns 21 this month and is counting the minutes until she can FINALLY serve.

Why does everyone not believe me? Why can't a fifteen year old girl learn how to save her money? What do you all have against me?

Last edited by a moderator:

20 hrs a week year round? In her current state she is limited to 15 hrs a week while school is in session. I guess it's possible for her to make the majority of that over the summer months just not what you typically hear of for a 14-15 yo.

Why does everyone not believe me? Why can't a fifteen year old girl learn how to save her money? What do you all have against me?

Didn't you just turn 15 in August which means you've only worked 1 year at this place?

ETA: where I live kids that age are very limited on jobs and it usually ends up as babysitting, ice cream shop, or family owned business and are not fortunate enough to have an opportunity like you working in a restaurant in a high end area making that much money.

**Don't mind me, just one of the girls here**

Back