All-Star Taking Cps Out Of School Early For Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CP is in 10th grade and is in all Honors and AP classes - we will pull her for full-day absences for out-of-town comps. We allow her to miss school because she is on AB Honor Roll every grading period and hasn't ever had any trouble making up the work she's missed. Should that ever change, she will not be allowed to miss school as she is now. But, as it is, she's an excellent student, and I have no problem with her missing some days.

Based on our competition schedule this year, it looks like she'll be missing 4 full days and have 3 early dismissals. The 4 full-day absences will be for Cheersport Nationals/Atlanta and NCA/Dallas due to travel, and for UCA/Orlando because we choose to spend a day at Disney instead of school. The other 3 early dismissal days are needed so we can arrive/check-in at our hotel in time for team/gym meetings that evening - depending on how things are going, we may end up making some (or all) of those early dismissal days a full-day. We enjoy taking it easy the day before a big comp - get the traveling done and then relax! Why? Because we can. ;)

With regard to the school, I just send in a note stating that she was ill - missing for a cheer competition is not excused in our district. As a side note, once a child has missed 15 days (excused or unexcused), a doctor's note is required for the absence to be excused.

My district in Australia isn't too strict, we just need to have a note or a phone call from a parent. If you miss for any reason, it's your responsibility to catch up on any missed work, and if you fail something for not catching up, then it is your fault.

Most of the comps are in holidays though, we have 1 this year that isn't. You can go up Friday after school at 3.30, and come home Sunday night. I will be leaving at about 9, but I will be home by 1am. Even if you left when the comp was over, you would still be home by 2am. That gives you plenty of time to sleep and be ready for school the next day, you can survive one day with only 5 or 6 hours of sleep. I hate how some parents give their children days off for no reason, when others are working hard.

That's not realistic. If we get home at 2 am, by the time CP gets the cheer make up off and gets her hair brushed out it's easily 2:30. We have to leave the house by 6:30 for school, so that means she would have to get up to shower, etc. by 5:30. What's the point of attending school on 3 hours of sleep - it's not like you can really learn anything or do well on assignments that way. Better to miss, get some sleep and do the make up work (or turn it in ahead of time).

@MOPSMommy1 Yes it's our child, but our state truancy officer has a say in when our kid goes to school unless we want to homeschool them or send them to private school.

I say CP has an appt and she makes sure to get work ahead of time. I try to pull her out after 5th period has started when possible. If she is there for attendance then it isn't counted as an absence if she leaves early.

Here, excused absences aren't much better than unexcused. It just means an adult knew you weren't in school, but they count against you just like unexcused. The only sport related absences that are allowed are school sports - those are classified under "school business".

FYI - like someone said, college visits are labeled as school business and the student doesn't have to be a junior or senior.

@onecoolcoachnowmom I think our district had the same concerns you have and created strict rules. If you're missing for outside activities you may have to plan carefully. If it's a serious issue like hospitalization they will work with the kids to an extent.

Our district allows 7 absences (excused or unexcused) per trimester (21 total per year). After 7 the teacher CAN (doesn't have to) fail the child in that class. At the HS you can attend 0 period to make up absences (2 mornings=1 missed day). Last year our state got very strict about absences. If a student was near the allowance, parents received letters from the county court. I know several families in different districts that received the letters.

CP's friend missed 18 days by April due to illness and hockey. The mom received the letter from the county saying she would be called into court if she missed any more days and the girl was not allowed to attend the class wide field trip in May. All of the absences were "excused" in the school's system.

Another friend's son was in the hospital for a week with the flu. He missed 12 days (20% of the tri). It was too late in the tri to make up enough classes in 0 period so they gave him the option of taking incompletes and an extra couple of weeks to make up the work. He ended up taking the "I" in his 2 core classes and took the D's/F's in his electives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@MOPSMommy1 Yes it's our child, but our state truancy officer has a say in when our kid goes to school unless we want to homeschool them or send them to private school.

I say CP has an appt and she makes sure to get work ahead of time. I try to pull her out after 5th period has started when possible. If she is there for attendance then it isn't counted as an absence if she leaves early.

Here, excused absences aren't much better than unexcused. It just means an adult knew you weren't in school, but they count against you just like unexcused. The only sport related absences that are allowed are school sports - those are classified under "school business".

FYI - like someone said, college visits are labeled as school business and the student doesn't have to be a junior or senior.

@onecoolcoachnowmom I think our district had the same concerns you have and created strict rules. If you're missing for outside activities you may have to plan carefully. If it's a serious issue like hospitalization they will work with the kids to an extent.

Our district allows 7 absences (excused or unexcused) per trimester (21 total per year). After 7 the teacher CAN (doesn't have to) fail the child in that class. At the HS you can attend 0 period to make up absences (2 mornings=1 missed day). Last year our state got very strict about absences. If a student was near the allowance, parents received letters from the county court. I know several families in different districts that received the letters.

CP's friend missed 18 days by April due to illness and hockey. The mom received the letter from the county saying she would be called into court if she missed any more days and the girl was not allowed to attend the class wide field trip in May. All of the absences were "excused" in the school's system.

Another friend's son was in the hospital for a week with the flu. He missed 12 days (20% of the tri). It was too late in the tri to make up enough classes in 0 period so they gave him the option of taking incompletes and an extra couple of weeks to make up the work. He ended up taking the "I" in his 2 core classes and took the D's/F's in his electives.

Kids can miss 8 here per semester so when Cp was missing 7 due to Worlds and Summit they gave me a hard time, she was not able to participate in Sr skip day or leave early prom day. That was the trade off she was stuck with.

Kids can miss 8 here per semester so when Cp was missing 7 due to Worlds and Summit they gave me a hard time, she was not able to participate in Sr skip day or leave early prom day. That was the trade off she was stuck with.

Until last year those were the consequences of missing too much. Now the county truancy officer is getting involved unless you have a hospital record you are fair game.

My district in Australia isn't too strict, we just need to have a note or a phone call from a parent. If you miss for any reason, it's your responsibility to catch up on any missed work, and if you fail something for not catching up, then it is your fault.

Most of the comps are in holidays though, we have 1 this year that isn't. You can go up Friday after school at 3.30, and come home Sunday night. I will be leaving at about 9, but I will be home by 1am. Even if you left when the comp was over, you would still be home by 2am. That gives you plenty of time to sleep and be ready for school the next day, you can survive one day with only 5 or 6 hours of sleep. I hate how some parents give their children days off for no reason, when others are working hard.

How late do you guys start school? If I went to bed at 2 (which by the way would not happen if I got home at 1, it would probably be more like 3 or 4 since my body takes forever to wind down) I would get maybe four hours of sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How late do you guys start school? If I went to bed at 2 (which by the way would not happen if I got home at 1, it would probably be more like 3 or 4 since my body takes forever to wind down) I would get maybe four hours of sleep.

Yea, right. I had to get up at 4:45 in high school. Getting home at 2am and going to school that day would never have happened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yea, right. I had to get up at 4:45 in high school. Getting home at 2am and going to school that day would never have happened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I got up at I think 6:15, but I also lived 10 minutes away from school and drove/was driven every day. I also take my showers at night so I only take an hour to get ready start to finish. If I would've taken the bus it would have been 5:30.

Our kids can miss five days, with the sixth absence, they owe "time for time" which gets made up on Saturday mornings starting at 7:00 am.

We are on a block schedule and have semester long classes not full-year classes.

The only way around the absence policy and time for time is a documented medical issue verified by a letter from your doctor.

We have the same rule; 8 days. And excused is by doctor note or official note only; even if I write a note it's still unexcused.

That's not realistic. If we get home at 2 am, by the time CP gets the cheer make up off and gets her hair brushed out it's easily 2:30. We have to leave the house by 6:30 for school, so that means she would have to get up to shower, etc. by 5:30. What's the point of attending school on 3 hours of sleep - it's not like you can really learn anything or do well on assignments that way. Better to miss, get some sleep and do the make up work (or turn it in ahead of time).
Cp usually does this several times each season. Makes it through the day then sleeps once she got home. The makeup gets taken off as soon as she gets in the car after the comp, she is changed into her sweats, has her pillow and blanket, puts the seat back and usually falls asleep pretty soon after we start out. She can usually catch a few hours of sleep in the car and another couple at home. We make it work - it's the trade off for cheer.

Cp usually does this several times each season. Makes it through the day then sleeps once she got home. The makeup gets taken off as soon as she gets in the car after the comp, she is changed into her sweats, has her pillow and blanket, puts the seat back and usually falls asleep pretty soon after we start out. She can usually catch a few hours of sleep in the car and another couple at home. We make it work - it's the trade off for cheer.

If only my CP would/could sleep in the car! She's my kid that has always needed lots of sleep, too - so that affects how we have to handle things. Luckily, we have Monday off after Cheersport and NCA is local. She'll miss the Friday before Cheersport and the Monday after one of our other travel comps because I know our awards won't be until about 10 p.m. We'll spend the night and do a college visit driving back that Monday. For any Cheersport and Summit absences we'll have to call her in sick or she will be given zeros on all her work those days.

We have the same rule; 8 days. And excused is by doctor note or official note only; even if I write a note it's still unexcused.
If I call CP in sick or pull her out for an appt it's marked excused. Unexcused for us means no one called in to report the absence. Our school is more concerned with the total number of days they miss regardless of why. CP's lowest grade is a 95% and even in middle school she says there are days or classes she can't miss because it would be too much work to make it up. My boys say it gets harder in high school.

Back