All-Star Taking Cps Out Of School Early For Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sounds like schools have become a lot more strict since I graduated in 2011. I guess the US decided to do something about it's "sub-par" testing scores. I'm wondering who else beat us out (besides China).

How do students in the United States compare to those around the world?

I ask because it sounds like the posters from Canada or Europe don't have as strict attendance laws. Maybe their test scores are better?
Most schools also get funding based on attendance.

Most schools also get funding based on attendance.

Yep. My high school let you miss 10 days total during the year, even if they were excused. The only different between excused and unexcused was you got to make up the work you missed. Once you hit your 11th absence, you automatically fail that class. And its possible to fail one class and pass the rest if you miss the same class all the time.

Sounds like schools have become a lot more strict since I graduated in 2011. I guess the US decided to do something about it's "sub-par" testing scores. I'm wondering who else beat us out (besides China).

How do students in the United States compare to those around the world?

I ask because it sounds like the posters from Canada or Europe don't have as strict attendance laws. Maybe their test scores are better?

America ranks in the 30's of developed countries---the fact that we pay so much attention to standardized testing is a whole different soapbox of mine.

Yep. My high school let you miss 10 days total during the year, even if they were excused. The only different between excused and unexcused was you got to make up the work you missed. Once you hit your 11th absence, you automatically fail that class. And its possible to fail one class and pass the rest if you miss the same class all the time.
Ditto for us, but it was 8. You got the opportunity to make it up at the end of the year time for time. 1.5 hours after school or in the first weeks of summer for ever class missed, plus you had to pay for it. And sit on a computer doing work related to that topic. Eight absences, sick or not, was all we were allowed. Anything more than 45 minutes missed in a period went down as an absence.

How late do you guys start school? If I went to bed at 2 (which by the way would not happen if I got home at 1, it would probably be more like 3 or 4 since my body takes forever to wind down) I would get maybe four hours of sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most Australian schools, at least in Victoria, we start at 9am and go to 3.30pm. I just hate having to catch up on work, so I would go anyway even if I was tired. I feel like I've missed something that the teachers might tell you about.

I also take my hair out, makeup off and out of my uniform in the car so I can jump straight into bed when I'm home.

Most Australian schools, at least in Victoria, we start at 9am and go to 3.30pm. I just hate having to catch up on work, so I would go anyway even if I was tired. I feel like I've missed something that the teachers might tell you about.

I also take my hair out, makeup off and out of my uniform in the car so I can jump straight into bed when I'm home.

When that happens do you really get up at 8 since you get 5-6 hours and go to bed at 2? I couldn't imagine getting up only an hour before school.

I always had to take a shower after I got home since for most of my cheer career our hair was curled and I have to wash my hair almost night anyway.

When that happens do you really get up at 8 since you get 5-6 hours and go to bed at 2? I couldn't imagine getting up only an hour before school.

I always had to take a shower after I got home since for most of my cheer career our hair was curled and I have to wash my hair almost night anyway.

I live super close to my school, only about 3 min walk.

However, you can't miss two for NCA, two for Cheersport, two for UCA weekend, then (for example) -

*Decide to stay at Disney for Worlds an extra week for vacation.
*Decide to take a "shopping trip" for two days after Champs League.
*Give her two days off after you get back from NCA because "she's tired."
*Take her out two days early for a pageant two weeks after you get back from Majors weekend.
*Have her miss a day before Homecoming for hair and make up.

...Then complain about your kid being over your district's absence limit.

To see how many parents let there kids miss for things like this drove me crazy. Granted my mother worked at my HS but I never missed a day that I didn't have to. And the day after comp? I was in class, tired or not.

My HS team would miss/come late the day after counties or a big game because they were *tired* and I had the furthest commute out of everyone.. It's a terrible habit to develop because kids who aren't taught to go to school after staying up for extracurriculars/sports/concerts are the ones who won't wake up for class in college or work..

I like to tag @quitthedrama and @notimeforthat in these threads because everyone talks about how many days their kids have to miss when I believe they posted that their kids won Worlds and missed something like less than 3-5 days?

Last year we were fortunate that a couple of comps fell on long weekends or staff days. I will wait till the last possible moment to bust cp out of school. Comps like NCA I will fly home on Sunday night so CP will be in school Monday.
CP is in 10th grade and in all honor classes with 3.8 GPA. Missing one class is a hassle and can have a domino effect on keeping up. CP will tell her teachers 1 week out if shes going to miss and will stay after/ come early to prepare for any missed work. It's not easy but it can be done. Oh, and the letter the gym owner signed regarding the absences? Ha they laughed. I hsve to write a note about stomach bugs, strep throat and the likes.
No matter how talented your cp is there is no free rides to college... Having great grades is your only hope to get any merit dollars!

School employee here (high school setting.)

I get it, it's sometimes unavoidable to miss 1-2 days during a cheer comp weekend.

I do.

However, you need to be smart about it.

Example: If you are going to a big weekend comp, that is legitimately a miss. Maybe throw in an extra day for weather issues if you miss your flight. Ok.

However, you can't miss two for NCA, two for Cheersport, two for UCA weekend, then (for example) -

*Decide to stay at Disney for Worlds an extra week for vacation.
*Decide to take a "shopping trip" for two days after Champs League.
*Give her two days off after you get back from NCA because "she's tired."
*Take her out two days early for a pageant two weeks after you get back from Majors weekend.
*Have her miss a day before Homecoming for hair and make up.

...Then complain about your kid being over your district's absence limit.

Her first couple of years of cheer we did stuff like this (she was in elementary school so it wasn't really a big deal to miss school). Last year when I got the letter from the school I promised myself that this year it would not happen. I have made flights in the evening so she can attend school all day, whereas in the past we would have flown in the morning and she would have taken the day off. We are driving to Disney the day before and not going early to go to the park (hate wasting that 3 day hopper, but no choice). So, I feel like this year she should only miss 4-5 days of school for cheer. As long as she doesn't get the flu like she did last year and miss an entire week of school I am hoping I will avoid the attendance letter!!!!

As @notimeforthat said, we were fortunate that one competition fell on a long weekend, and Worlds fell on the weekend where a school vacation week preceeded it, so that helped cut down on a couple of days, but I am very careful when making travel arrangements. Last year I think they missed 5 days and were dismissed an hour before school ended twice. If we drive to a competition (8 hours or less), then my kids get dismissed from school at 1:00 so they only miss part of one class. We leave to come home Sunday night if we can. No matter how late the competition goes if we are home on Monday the kids go to school. We missed the most school for Dallas (3 days for oldest/2 for youngest) but due to STP we are likely not leaving until Friday so it will be 2 days. Champions League last year my kids missed one day. It was completely across the country and we were in LA for a total of 56 hours. The upside - we weren't even there long enough to experience the jet lag:D
My kids were at two different school systems and I never had an issue with calling them out. I never even gave a reason, but my CPs would always tell their teachers the truth and most would give work ahead of time. Fierceboard made me realize that this isn't the norm!

From my teacher friend when I asked the same question....Teachers have ears, they hear kids asking where Suzie is and Suzie has Instagram and Twitter letting her friends know they're traveling and not home with the flu. Teachers, like anyone else, do not appreciate being played, they will usually work with students that make the effort to make up the work and not expect them to reteach. If the teacher won't accommodate you, take the consequences for those absences because, if you try to pull off the flu or other excuses, there are teachers that talk about those kids in the teachers lounge and laugh about grading your child tougher the rest of the year.

@AlwaysLearning - What state do you live in? Remind me not to move there! I feel terrible for you guys that the rules are so incredibly strict where you live.
No kidding! But in reality, I don't mind the strict rules. We live in a small district that is consistently top 5 in the state and top 250 in the country. They have a difficult curriculum which more than prepares the kids for college. I'll take that if it means I have to plan family vacations and outside sports around school. Plus my kids love school and hate to miss class. They would rather us arrive later in the day for a comp than to skip school to get on the road early.

ETA:
@catlady I agree. CP always tells her teacher when she'll be missing. I tell the office she has an appt, but the teacher knows what she's doing that weekend and they'll give her the work ahead of time. As far as they know she had an appt on the way to her activity.

Last edited:
Back