All-Star Taking Cps Out Of School Early For Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CP is only in fourth grade so we fall under the 20 day missed rule. The only excused absence in our district is "take your daughter to work day", so it doesn't matter (in theory) what we say, but I still use sickness or doc appt for most. Her teachers know from the first day when the comps are and we try to get work ahead of time. I am the type who perfers to extemd the trip by a day and do something educational, rather than rush home.

ps...educational dos not mean shopping and the pool ;)

CP is only in fourth grade so we fall under the 20 day missed rule. The only excused absence in our district is "take your daughter to work day", so it doesn't matter (in theory) what we say, but I still use sickness or doc appt for most. Her teachers know from the first day when the comps are and we try to get work ahead of time. I am the type who perfers to extemd the trip by a day and do something educational, rather than rush home.

ps...educational dos not mean shopping and the pool ;)
You can do that now and get away with it, so definitely take advantage of it. As they get older and their school work gets harder (usually by the end of middle school) it becomes actually unfair to the child to do that imho. Sure you'd like to spend that extra day in DC (or LA) but the trade-off is just not worth it.

My oldest stopped cheering all-star in 8th and school cheer in 9th, so this is uncharted territory for me what with cp handling school cheer, all-stars and a rigorous academic schedule. Next year gets even more challenging with the advanced classes, SAT/ACT prep, driver's ed - I know 11th grade was challenging time management-wise for former-cp without doing a sport (although she worked, was a yearbook editor and did volunteer work), plus all the college visits and applications the first half of 12th grade, and exams the second half. I do know though that school comes first and if it no longer becomes feasible for her to handle both all-stars and school cheer then some hard decisions will have to be made. Hopefully it will not come to that though.

The way around excuses in our town is head lice. We are given as much as two weeks excused due to head lice and no doctors excuse needed (for obvious reasons).. Only the box top from the treatments! I'm going to attempt honesty here in a few weeks for WSF but if that doesn't work out, head lice it is. I have no shame!

The way around excuses in our town is head lice. We are given as much as two weeks excused due to head lice and no doctors excuse needed (for obvious reasons).. Only the box top from the treatments! I'm going to attempt honesty here in a few weeks for WSF but if that doesn't work out, head lice it is. I have no shame!

I am so beyond jealous! Locally, head lice doesn't even get you sent home anymore.

You can do that now and get away with it, so definitely take advantage of it. As they get older and their school work gets harder (usually by the end of middle school) it becomes actually unfair to the child to do that imho. Sure you'd like to spend that extra day in DC (or LA) but the trade-off is just not worth it.

My oldest stopped cheering all-star in 8th and school cheer in 9th, so this is uncharted territory for me what with cp handling school cheer, all-stars and a rigorous academic schedule. Next year gets even more challenging with the advanced classes, SAT/ACT prep, driver's ed - I know 11th grade was challenging time management-wise for former-cp without doing a sport (although she worked, was a yearbook editor and did volunteer work), plus all the college visits and applications the first half of 12th grade, and exams the second half. I do know though that school comes first and if it no longer becomes feasible for her to handle both all-stars and school cheer then some hard decisions will have to be made. Hopefully it will not come to that though.
Yeah, CP ended up not doing all-star her junior year because of a fractured spine. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise with how busy the year was! Plus she got to go to every dance/event etc. It all made her return to cheer as a senior that much more fun for her.

Yeah, CP ended up not doing all-star her junior year because of a fractured spine. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise with how busy the year was! Plus she got to go to every dance/event etc. It all made her return to cheer as a senior that much more fun for her.
Not that I would wish a fractured spine on anyone but I would think if you had to miss a year of cheer, that would be the optimal one to miss when you think of all that is going on in school.

Made me itchy just reading this. I don't think I'd want to temp fate ever using lice as an excuse!

My mom has never taken me out of a comp for school, even for some bigger ones like summit and NCA. Unless there's a flight that we absolutely HAVE to do during the day, we always pack the night before, get home from school, drop off the dog, and then head on the road. Honestly though, this season we mostly only drive a couple hours so it doesn't really compare to those who have lots of long distance comps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my teacher friend when I asked the same question....Teachers have ears, they hear kids asking where Suzie is and Suzie has Instagram and Twitter letting her friends know they're traveling and not home with the flu. Teachers, like anyone else, do not appreciate being played, they will usually work with students that make the effort to make up the work and not expect them to reteach. If the teacher won't accommodate you, take the consequences for those absences because, if you try to pull off the flu or other excuses, there are teachers that talk about those kids in the teachers lounge and laugh about grading your child tougher the rest of the year.

From my experience (in our school district) it's not the teachers who have the problem with the absences, it's the attendance Nazis. My kid can go and tell the teachers if she needs to get work early, and they will be happy to work with her-but if the attendance office finds it unexcused, she's not allowed to make it up. So we have to fib just to get it classified so that her teachers can work with her. Shame really. I'm hoping to have maybe 1-2 absences this year total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In high school I would always be very straight forward with my teachers in order to receive any assignments in advance. I could never really use the sick or doctor appointment excuse because for my 4 away comps, I missed Friday and Monday. Besides, I would always post a cheer pics all over IG, FB, and Twitter so my classmates would definitely know lol. It also helps if your CP is a good student and maintains a good GPA because I noticed that teachers are more likely too cooperate with their best students.

Also, freshman year in college I super seniored. College professors provide you with a syllabus with assignments, chapters, exams, and projects for every single day of the semester so it was really easy to work ahead.

From my experience (in our school district) it's not the teachers who have the problem with the absences, it's the attendance Nazis. My kid can go and tell the teachers if she needs to get work early, and they will be happy to work with her-but if the attendance office finds it unexcused, she's not allowed to make it up. So we have to fib just to get it classified so that her teachers can work with her. Shame really. I'm hoping to have maybe 1-2 absences this year total. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public schools, at least ours, get their money based on attendance so, I get the dilemma. My friend teaches HS on-level, honors and AP physics, says the school load is heavy and not easy to make up. If a child is sick or there is a family emergency, she said she is all about helping that child get up to speed and gives them time to make up work. Her point was only, if you and your child lie, don't be surprised to find that leeway once given in grading go away. She said school events are planned as review days but, she can't work around everyone's cheap cruise, less crowded Disney trip, "college visits" to Hawaii, club sports finals, educational trip to see Kinky Boots, etc. Please note this was after I complained I told the truth and her French teacher wouldn't let her make up her test. Her quote, "Suck it up and move along sister, we want to have lives, too."

They are forsure not as strict on this in ontario (canada). my mom just had to call and tell them i was absent. In high school i often just told my teachers i was missing class, and they would give me work. And then id get an automated phone call to my parents saying was absent from school on days xyz.
Agree. Here there are kids absent from CP's elementary school every Friday for hockey tournaments. Cheer isn't a big deal.

I would've never gotten trough school in the US.. I never had to leave early/miss for comps. But I get ill quite a lot and have migraines. But you literally just have to call/go online to register as sick, and that's it. There's new rules for high school, that if you miss I think somewhere around 12% unexcused they'll withdraw your "allowance", if your school can even be bothered to report it (we get paid to go to high school). But other than that, as long as you finish your assignments and tests you're fine!

Back