High School Team Practice Clothes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 23, 2012
Do you require your team to wear the same outfit on the same day? Or do you just let them wear whatever? Do they have to be wearing something team related but they don't have to match?

We've gone back and forth with having them wear matching outfits one year and then just having them wear something team related. I personally want them to match every practice but the other coach doesn't always agree with me. Maybe it's just because the girl with the neon pink shorts distracts me when I'm trying to watch the routine.

What does your team do?

We are all-stars, but we require them to wear practice clothes that all match. It helps me a ton when I'm trying to pick stuff out, and even if they wear the wrong outfit they still have the right colors on. This means no neon pink hot shorts to bother me.... They can wear those to tumbling. :)

I would love that! Or put limitations... such as only shirts that are your school or we get at competitions.. and certain shorts - school colors, black, white, gray...

I am not the boss but if I was I would put limitations especially close to competition season. When they are just working skills I don't want to be so difficult the parents have issues, etc.

We are all-stars, but we require them to wear practice clothes that all match. It helps me a ton when I'm trying to pick stuff out, and even if they wear the wrong outfit they still have the right colors on. This means no neon pink hot shorts to bother me.... They can wear those to tumbling. :)

Do you require matching bows as well?

No. We provided them with a practice bow (plain black) but we let them wear whatever bows they want. They do have to have one in, but they love buying and trading bows, so it lets them have a little fun.

My girls like bows, but they just buy ribbon and make their own so throughout practice we have random ribbons laying on the mat. Maybe if I require it be a "cheer bow" it will cut down on that.

We included the practice bow in their practice clothes cost... For a plain black 3 inch bow we paid $5 each. It's also nice because you could probably use it for games and other things too in high school. At one point, we were going to use them in case the competition bows didn't come in on time.
Also, I would assume high school girls would probably go online and figure out how to make them. Lots of our older girls have started to make their own and wear them to practice.

I think if we got practice bows then they probably would figure out there is a way to make them without just tying the ribbon around your ponytail. All of their competition bows were hand made by a mom, so they haven't actually ever had a manufactured cheer bow before. I think I would let them wear whatever bow they wanted and that way I could make them wear matching bows at games. They all wear their own thing currently and it drives me nuts, they look so sloppy!! I realize as the coach I can make them do whatever I want, but I like to choose my battles carefully. ;)

We are required to mat for practices, we have three different practice outfits that we rotate through. If you're not wearing the right practice outfit then you have to do 10 toe touches, for not following directions. But that usually doesn't kick in until the school year starts. We used to have to wear a bow, which was really just a piece of ribbon but they don't stay in very good so we got rid of that this year. And sometimes our coach will give us a free day, or a theme day if we did good at a competition.

We are required to mat for practices, we have three different practice outfits that we rotate through. If you're not wearing the right practice outfit then you have to do 10 toe touches, for not following directions. But that usually doesn't kick in until the school year starts. We used to have to wear a bow, which was really just a piece of ribbon but they don't stay in very good so we got rid of that this year. And sometimes our coach will give us a free day, or a theme day if we did good at a competition.

What theme days have you done? That sounds like fun!

Basically the same here. We all have about 5 differentT-shirts, mostly from camp and some that are the same from year to year. Everyone has to wear the same shirt on a specific day...Tuesday-Pink, Wednesday-blue, etc. and yes our hair must be out of your face and off the sholder with a bow.....we usually get about 3 bows for camp and also we buy bows....We can wear any bow; however on certain days, we may be instructed to wear a specific bow.....I like it. I makes practice look more together and organized

Basically the same here. We all have about 5 differentT-shirts, mostly from camp and some that are the same from year to year. Everyone has to wear the same shirt on a specific day...Tuesday-Pink, Wednesday-blue, etc. and yes our hair must be out of your face and off the sholder with a bow.....we usually get about 3 bows for camp and also we buy bows....We can wear any bow; however on certain days, we may be instructed to wear a specific bow.....I like it. I makes practice look more together and organized

That's why I like it too!

We have matching shirts and shots that we have to wear every day. We also have to wear a bow everyday. If we don't wear the right outfit, we run. It pretty much helps the coach view the routine better and keeps us all organized!

What theme days have you done? That sounds like fun!
We've done a pink-out practice, blue-out, Disney, I think we did a Jersey Shore practice one, and a black & white practice, and bright colors. Thats all I can remember. I think one day we did it so each pod wore a different color too.

Oh and we get new practice shirts every year, they are never the same, but we always keep the same color shorts.

Back