All-Star Teammates Dating?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank god someone brought this up. I think it's fine as long as there is no PDA at practice or competition. And when and if they break up they stay classy and don't go all crazy-ex on eachother.

I am not sure HOW you prevent this from happening..just because a coach or gym says no dating...kids still get attracted to eachother etc...the heart is a tricky thing..compounded by the age of the athletes...I believe it's out of our hands sometimes....rules about PDA can be enforced but ya can't tell someone NOT to feel somethimng...IMHO

i think i'm following that girl too!

Yeah! And like something about her boyfriend was with another program and didn't want her on a coed team and was mad when she made one and they would get competitive with each other. I was like, wow he's not controlling at all...

Also, I would like to say that there is a level of professionalism and maturity that comes with it and with people at my age, I don't know anyone who has that under control.

I haven't had to deal with bf/gf on the team yet but I have had my share of issues with relationships and whether or not they would effect the team.
Last year, on the high school team, I had two girls "fighting" over the same boy. You'd never know it in the gym! Also had two best friends from birth (pretty much) stop being friends and basically "hate" each other....again you'd never know it inside the gym. Maturity doesn't necessarily come with age but with expectations. These girls were all 14 or 15 years old and handled themselves quite well inside the gym.
I have a questions though...if a gym sets rules about bf/gf relationships...what about just friendships? They can go very wrong as well!

12 years ago I got married to my college stunt partner. We were really good about our dating though. We didn't keep it secret, but we kept our relationship out of cheer (not at practice, not at games, not on travel time). It worked for us, but of doesn't for everyone. We have 2 kids (boys) and joke that were going to get a phone call from school that one of them is trying to throw the girls at recess and well have to come in and explain that that is normal at our house!

We have 2 kids (boys) and joke that were going to get a phone call from school that one of them is trying to throw the girls at recess and well have to come in and explain that that is normal at our house!

LOL, that is seriously funny!:D

I agree with many above- it's how they handle it. I've seen girls start cat fights over boys..my general rules are simple: no PDA. I have 'that friend' and her boyfriend who are 'that couple' who form their own little twosome when we're out with friends, sequestered off in a little corner alone. TRUST ME- nobody likes 'THAT COUPLE'. They were making out in the middle of the library during finals in Ireland. In front of everyone..people were staring them down. Not pretty..

You want dating drama? Those HS theater kids are CRAZY..

This girl on my sisters team dated one of their teamates. After a while she broke up with him and started dating the new guy on the team. At choreography they all ended up in the same stunt group lol #Awkward!!! But, There has been no drama so far. They are all still friends. I think the 1st one is gay anyway...

cant control feelings!

but I think it is a bad idea I had a couple on my team they broke up half way through comp season (they were in the same stunt group) then like 2 months later the boy dated his ex's best friend and yes she is on the team they only went out for like a week but now practice is never the same.

things can definitely get awkward if two people on the same team get together and break up, but as long as they are mature about it it's not a huge deal.

at the same time, I kinda wish my boyfriend was a cheerleader so he would be as into cheer as I am, haha! :p

Idk, I mean like its those two peoples business what they do with their personal lives, but if they break up, you'd hope they could be mature enough to atleast be civil. Just my opinion!

let me just say from personal experience, it is really not a good idea. i actually didn't learn from my mistake the first time lol so i have two experiences actually, one better than the other...
i don't care to go into details, but for the one situation, the guy and I broke up and he treated me like absolute crap at practices and even went so far as to dropping me (he was my backspot at the time), which affected both myself and team. in the second situation, the guy just became very protective of me, which, seems like a good thing, but when accidents happened, it sucked for the person that dropped me. that and, we were put together as partners, and then when things went wrong, he took it on a personal level as well. so although situation 2 sounds better, neither was good for the team. really, if i was a coach of a coed team, i would allow dating of teamates, but make it very clear that if their personal lives outside of practice was not left at the door, there would be issues. which is fair, really.

When I coached coed I had two couples that were bf/gf before they joined the team. Both couples are now married with children.

On the other hand I had one girl that was obsessed with one of the guys and he wasn't in to dating his teammates. You all know how badly a boy crazy girl can behave when her crush won't give her the attention she wants!

I dated my partner in college. We kept it classy but I still don't recommend it. If it doesn't work out the chemistry of the team is screwed up.

Back