Terminology

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2015
I know there is a lot of different terminology for certain skills in different areas of the country and I want to know some of the differences.

For example...when I want to shorten a bhs bhs full, I'll say hand hand full. Or when I want to shorten toe touch tuck, I'll say toe back. In stunting, a load in position is a sponge...just some examples.

I only brought this up because my bf moved to Texas and was telling me about their terminology...any of what I said sound different, or would you use different words?

Here (UK), most tumblers call a bhs a 'flick', so the first would be flick-flick-full. I am American, though, so I still say toe-tuck and squishy, which was what I learned many years ago.

I know there is a lot of different terminology for certain skills in different areas of the country and I want to know some of the differences.

For example...when I want to shorten a bhs bhs full, I'll say hand hand full. Or when I want to shorten toe touch tuck, I'll say toe back. In stunting, a load in position is a sponge...just some examples.

I only brought this up because my bf moved to Texas and was telling me about their terminology...any of what I said sound different, or would you use different words?
Some people would refer to it as a double back handspring full. I just say standing two to full.

Someone once told me (when I first started coaching) that their child needed to clean up her flip flop.

I couldn't for the life of me understand why someone's beach/summer shoes mattered in terms of cheer.

Then someone told me what it meant.

So you know how some people refer to a prep as a half extension? Well, my coaches referred to a prep as a prep, and the other "below shoulder" version (I can't find a picture) as a half extension.

And according to them, an elevator was performed by the bases placing their hands on the mat palms up, with the flyer's feet standing on them and the backspot grabbing her ankles, and they gradually lift and stand until the flyer is at prep height. It's actually called a ground-up.

Last edited:
Two of the gyms ive been to in Canada refer to a prep as a "double base". Doesnt really make much sense but it is what it is. Not sure about other gyms though

Sponge or squish is what we call a smoosh.
Yep - we call it a smush. The girls in my daughter's hip hop dance do a little stunt/toss thing in their dance, and I was trying to describe it the other day. I said, "you know the part where she starts in a smush..."

<crickets>

Not a clue what I was talking about.

I call them flicks as well. Flip flop is more of a gymnast thing, I hear gymnasts use that term a lot.

Although I usually refer to flicks in a pass by the number of them - so in the case of the example provided, I'd say two to full.

True story. I saw a flyer for a flip flop clinic during a winter break and asked CP at the time was 11 if she wanted to to the class. No previous experience with gymnastics or cheer. She loved it and started her in both sports.

Well 8 months later she writes a school paper where mentioned how she was confused at first because she thought she was going to make "flip flop" sandals. She never told me until I read it in the paper

Is flip flop the more used term in Illinois? We had two IL girls at tryouts this past weekend and they called them flip flops instead of back handsprings. Wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence or if it was an IL thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back