Terminology

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've also heard half for preps
There was a girl on my high school team that constantly called it a half when the whole team called it a prep. It wasn't like she was super used to it and couldn't make herself call it prep... She just wanted to act like she knew more about cheer than anyone else bc she did a year of all stars when she was like 10. Idk why I just had that random flashback to hs cheer, but yeah [emoji23]

ETA: as for other strange terminology, we had a running joke on my hs team where we called extended forward rolls (where you flip out of a prep while being braces by both bases, basically) death drops bc we struggled so hard with them. Our coach would be like, "go to your extended forward rolls!" And we'd all be like, "um, what?"

There was a girl on my high school team that constantly called it a half when the whole team called it a prep. It wasn't like she was super used to it and couldn't make herself call it prep... She just wanted to act like she knew more about cheer than anyone else bc she did a year of all stars when she was like 10. Idk why I just had that random flashback to hs cheer, but yeah [emoji23]
Our current school calls them a half also. Even more confusing is when they extend it, it is a "full".

Um, no. That is something else. I don't understand where they got these terms, but they are irritating!

Our current school calls them a half also. Even more confusing is when they extend it, it is a "full".

Um, no. That is something else. I don't understand where they got these terms, but they are irritating!
I honestly just call it whatever the people around me are calling it bc that's easier than being contrary. You know, when in Rome and such. The new allstar director at my gym calls it elevator, so when I'm at the gym I call it elevator (as much as it kinda hurts me inside ;) )

That's what they were called at my middle school, and I think my high school too. Though I think in HS, sometimes they were referred to as extension and sometimes full, but it was always a half.

My coach calls them a prep and a full while the other coach says half then an extension. I just kinda laugh because I know what they are trying to say but the rest of the team acts like this is a foreign term all together.

I heard the load-in (sponge) position being called a "hang time". But I prefer my own version...

I call it "la poule" (the hen or the chicken, as you want). I call it that way because the flyer's position looks like someone trying to mimic a chicken.

Yes I am weird like that.

I heard the load-in (sponge) position being called a "hang time". But I prefer my own version...

I call it "la poule" (the hen or the chicken, as you want). I call it that way because the flyer's position looks like someone trying to mimic a chicken.

Yes I am weird like that.
I think I have one that might be weirder...my friend's old rec coach from when she was little called it the cannon ball. Apparently she would tell the flyers to load into cannon ball position [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back