All-Star Texas Approves Cheer As A Sport For High Schools

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So Texas didn't have a state competition before this? Did they compete at all?
Also, I know here if it becomes a sport we won't be able to do HS and allstar - is that going to be an issue in Texas?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

So Texas didn't have a state competition before this? Did they compete at all?
Also, I know here if it becomes a sport we won't be able to do HS and allstar - is that going to be an issue in Texas?

Why can't you do HS and AS if it becomes a sport? We do that here and we are a sport.

Will be interesting if they can now compete nationally if they are from a HS.

Why can't you do HS and AS if it becomes a sport? We do that here and we are a sport.

Will be interesting if they can now compete nationally if they are from a HS.
There's a MSHSAA rule that you can't do the allstar version of a sport during the school season, which for us goes through November if you just do football. My dad got in trouble for having open gyms for my brothers' travel basketball team (7th graders :rolleyes: ) during their season. Not even practices - open gyms that were open to anyone, but since he was a coach of a team they were mad about it? It's for all sports, so people basically have to choose one. Cheer and dance have been getting around the rule bc, while we're governed by the same people, we're "activities" and grouped with band, choir, debate, etc.

There's a MSHSAA rule that you can't do the allstar version of a sport during the school season, which for us goes through November if you just do football. My dad got in trouble for having open gyms for my brothers' travel basketball team (7th graders :rolleyes: ) during their season. Not even practices - open gyms that were open to anyone, but since he was a coach of a team they were mad about it? It's for all sports, so people basically have to choose one. Cheer and dance have been getting around the rule bc, while we're governed by the same people, we're "activities" and grouped with band, choir, debate, etc.

Interesting. I would say it would make having a successful allstar team in that area hard then.

How well supported are the high school groups with practice facilities and having a trainer?

That's very interesting. A lot of girl here do both competitive and high school! If that rule went into effect, my schools high school program (freshman-varsity) would altogether be comprised of 10 people:confused: ( we love our high school program but everyone would in a leave in a heart beat to continue all-star cheer)

If so, would that go into effect immediately this school year 2014-2015 or the following school year 2015-2016?

Same way in Michigan. If they find out you're on an all star team (of any sport) and you're participating on the high school team, you could get all the titles you won that season taken away and I'm pretty sure there's other consequences too.

Interesting. I would say it would make having a successful allstar team in that area hard then.

How well supported are the high school groups with practice facilities and having a trainer?
We have access to the school's athletic trainer just like all the sports do. I'm not sure if it's the same at the other high schools in town (or the rest of the state).
We also have a full set of mats (no Velcro though). Not all schools have a full mat. We practice in the gym during the summer but when we can't get the gym during the school year, we practice in the commons. This year they took the old weight room and made it the "spirit room" that we share with dance... It's big enough to roll out 4 mats so not very useful for running routines. We are hopefully getting a new set of mats and Velcro this year as a part of the spirit room "project" (I will throw a party once we have all easy rolls). This is just my school, I know it's pretty inconsistent through the state. We're a big school with a strong athletic program and generous donors.

ETA: the competitions are pretty disorganized. At regionals we don't have a real warmup room. The "warmup room" is a meeting room with ceilings that aren't even high enough to warm up a prep, and no mats. There's nowhere to sit either. State is okay I guess. There's a warmup room at least, but it seems like forever from warmups to actually competing.
Missouri struggles.

Last edited:
my old high school was planning to build a new gym and other fields for sports they offer including Cheerleading. Actually cheer would get I believe their on field or building of their own for practice. Although this would be great for all sports, its kind of hard to be happy when the district can't even provide proper gyms for the other schools in the district. And this including the elementary/middle school in my hometown

Last edited:

i hate that. i feel like the school(or state rules) should not be able to have a say in what you do outside of school.

i hate that. i feel like the school(or state rules) should not be able to have a say in what you do outside of school.
I think it's ridiculous! It's the reason I'm not mad about being an activity though. As much as I want it to be recognized... I want to do allstar too. :cool: they can make it a sport next year after I graduate :D or they could get rid of the stupid rule but I don't see that happening.

Interesting...is this for ALL of Missouri or just your district? I only ask that because, if this holds true for all of Missouri, I can name five girls off the top of my head from last year's senior team that definitely broke that rule.

ETA: I re-read the last sentence and realize now how cheerleaders are getting around it.

Last edited:
Interesting...is this for ALL of Missouri or just your district? I only ask that because, if this holds true for all of Missouri, I can name five girls off the top of my head from last year's senior team that definitely broke that rule.
I think she meant this would be the rule if Missouri makes cheer a sport. As of now its not so those girls never broke any rules

It's all of Missouri. But like @cheernerd5678 said, cheer isn't a sport here, so that rule doesn't apply to us. MSHSAA has tried to strong arm people into choosing one or the other though. An official from them ruined my 14th birthday because they called and berated me, said that they were going to disband my middle school squad, get my allstar squad disqualified from all of our competitions that season, basically threatened ruin my life because cheer was my world at that time. My mom got involved, there may have been some creative sharing of details and omission of other details, but I was eventually able to cheer middle school sideline and all-star because I was only competing with one and comps didn't start until after football season ended. It also helped that my gym was across state line so they had no jurisdiction to control my gym in KS. It's been nearly ten years and I still resent MSHSAA to this day.

Back