All-Star Texas Approves Cheer As A Sport For High Schools

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would say instead of fighting it (meaning trying to STOP it from being a sport) so much more could be done in directing how it becomes a sport. Making sure it becomes a sport in this way.

Is it a guarantee that will happen though? There are several states where cheer is a sport that you don't have to choose.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I mean I assume nothing is guaranteed here, but if It does happen I really wouldn't be able to tell how big of a problem it would be. Allot of athletes here do both and I think those who do both would mostly just choose All-star, and that COULD be a big problem. But where I live in Texas and I assume a large majority of Texas, cheerleading is huge even just being on a high-school team is so important to so many people. Allot of schools have very few spots available on their team with 100+ athletes trying out (depending on the size of the school) and it can get pretty competitive. And mostly girls on all-star teams get those spots because of their skill level, but if they make everyone choose and a majority picks all-star that leaves allot more wiggle room for those with fewer skills, especially if they take out allot of tumbling and stunts deemed "Unsafe". It might take away from the appeal of high-school cheerleading to allot of athletes in this area because it would be "watered down" but at the same time people might be more willing to try out if its more likely and easier overall to make and keep up being on a team.

I mean I assume nothing is guaranteed here, but if It does happen I really wouldn't be able to tell how big of a problem it would be. Allot of athletes here do both and I think those who do both would mostly just choose All-star, and that COULD be a big problem. But where I live in Texas and I assume a large majority of Texas, cheerleading is huge even just being on a high-school team is so important to so many people. Allot of schools have very few spots available on their team with 100+ athletes trying out (depending on the size of the school) and it can get pretty competitive. And mostly girls on all-star teams get those spots because of their skill level, but if they make everyone choose and a majority picks all-star that leaves allot more wiggle room for those with fewer skills, especially if they take out allot of tumbling and stunts deemed "Unsafe". It might take away from the appeal of high-school cheerleading to allot of athletes in this area because it would be "watered down" but at the same time people might be more willing to try out if its more likely and easier overall to make and keep up being on a team.
You took the words right out of my mouth. If these rules go into effect, high school cheer won't be looked at the same way it used to( at least in Texas). The teams will have more of a watered down skill level, and will loose that extra sparkle that comes with being a high school cheerleader, especially here in north Texas.

If girls had to choose, and more girls than expected choose high school cheer could it hurt business for all star gyms? I can see girls at small gyms in smaller towns ,if forced to choose, choosing high school cheer.

Regulations make competition impossible or even force HS to go ground bound

I've always wondered. Who decides rather or not that they go ground bound or not? is it someone who is actually knowledgeable in the sport or just someone who works for the high school association?

I think the positives outweigh the negatives with school cheer becoming a sport.
Michigan considers cheer a sport and you cannot compete allstar at the same time while competing for your school.
Although Michigan isn't as saturated with allstar cheer gyms, theres talent on both sides. There are plenty of level 3/4/5 athletes on high school teams while the "major" gyms (I.e. Vizion, Elite Cheer, Mix and Trilogy- probs more these are just off the top of my head) can still send teams to both worlds and the summit.

I haven't seen a negative effect on college cheer in Michigan either- but I haven't been digging really. Davenport University just won back to back titles at NCA, U of M won coed intermediate in 2013, CMU has had a pretty successful program and other mi colleges have placed well at nca in the past.

So, if cheer becomes recognized as a sport, if cheerleaders accept money for promoting cheer products//endorsements will they forfeit the ability to accept college scholarships for cheer?

i wonder if with the addition of a state competition they'll be restricted from competing in a national competition? then HS NCA Nationals may want to look for a new home... ouch.

i wonder if with the addition of a state competition they'll be restricted from competing in a national competition? then HS NCA Nationals may want to look for a new home... ouch.
I don't know much about HS NCA Nationals but how would they not be able to compete at NCA if they have a state comp?

Curiosity question in regards to being allowed to train in season-
School Basketball vs Club Basketball - each are EXACTLY the same.
One could play School Basketball AND Club Football (different "sports")

Clearly High School Cheer vs All-Star Cheer are significantly different. IMO one should be allowed to train All-Star while cheering school (within the rules) because the 2 are so different.

Just curious on the exact ruling that could/would limit this. This is potentially EXTREMELY dangerous for the All-Star cheer world.

This is the wording of our rule: "3.2 Organized Non-School Competition: Athletic competition shall be considered “organized” if any of the following conditions exist: Competition is scheduled and publicized in advance, official score is kept, individual or team standings are maintained, official timer or game officials are used, admission is charged, teams are regularly formed or team rosters are predetermined, team members are dressed in team uniforms or a team is privately or commercially-sponsored. Further, competition which is either directly or indirectly sponsored, promoted or administered by an individual, organization, or any other agency shall be considered organized.a. Same Season/Same Sport: A student shall neither practice nor compete as a member of a non-school team or as an individual participant in organized non-school competition in that same sport, except as provided for specifically below.1. Fall Non-School Competition Exception: For fall sports, non-school competition may continue until the Tuesday following Labor Day."
Of course it doesn't apply to cheer

I would be completely for changing the name of Allstar Cheerleading.

I still stand behind either calling it Cheer Athletics or Cheer sport. Acro Athletics or Allstar Acro Athletics wouldnt be a bad idea either.

Back