All-Star Texas Approves Cheer As A Sport For High Schools

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It needs a name change, cheerleading doesn't cut it when it comes to AllStar. The amount of times I have to explain no we don't have pom-poms, no we don't chant, no we don't kick our legs up waving our arms; our girls are ATHLETES!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

this is really interesting read. It got me thinking about certain things. So here is a few questions for you cheer peeps.

How do you think it would have gone if things were flipped as in If it was All star cheer that AMA considered a sport? Would it be the same issues.?

When you thought cheer (all star/school) would become a sport, how did you think or hope it would go? Ex. Would you want it to be the same as it is now and call it a sport (finally). Or make it safe(r) when comes to skills first and maybe have to take a a few steps back before going further?

In CT, Boys club volleyball is about the same time as school (spring sport). I feel like there are a few other sports where it runs same time/overlaps.

There is probably a list of positives and negatives. What we think might happen:

Possible Positives:
Better requirements for practice facilities
Better required training for coaches
Better athletic training

Possible Negatives:
Force people to choose between allstar and high school
Limit the amount Allstar Gyms can help high school
Regulations make competition impossible or even force HS to go ground bound
Possible elimination of high school participation in national championship

I know I listed more on the negative but quality wise i think the ones on the positive are more important. There are possibly others I am not thinking about. If anyone has them please add.

In my state, the bolded would be a positive. We have the same certain high schools that publicize their "National Championships" each year where they compete at a small all-star competition in California or Florida and compete against no one or max 2 teams. These schools fundraise all year long and local businesses sponsor the team. You don't see any other sport compete in a Nationals, especially one that isn't even governed by any school organization (I would be all for the governing of one high school national championship such as UCA though.)

As far as competing in both all star and high school, and high schools practicing at all star locations, I think this would still be allowed in my state. I know most high school gymnastics programs and swim programs are both sports and practice and host their meets at a private gym/club and most athletes in both sports compete for a private club.

It will be interesting to see how all of this evolves!

Does anyone know if Texas will not be allowed to compete in a nationals? Anyone ask the association?

If you're considered a "sport" for a high school team then you aren't allowed to travel out of state. Which makes you not allowed to go to high school nationals in Florida.

If you're considered a "sport" for a high school team then you aren't allowed to travel out of state. Which makes you not allowed to go to high school nationals in Florida.
There is also a high school nationals (NCA) in Texas, which would be in state for Texas high schools.

Georgia HS cannot attend cheersport. But the middle schools can. It isn't about travel but if it is a national championship.

Georgia HS cannot attend cheersport. But the middle schools can. It isn't about travel but if it is a national championship.

http://nca.varsity.com/pdfs/hsn_po.pdf

this is from last year... but if that were to go into effect for texas it appears it would be detrimental to NCA high school nationals. i didn't do any actual calculations... but i'd guesstimate ~80% of their attendees were from texas.

(ps @ASCheerMan or any Varsity person, y'all spelled varsity wrong on this page in case you want to fix it ;) Cheer and Dance Competitions - Varsity.com )

http://nca.varsity.com/pdfs/hsn_po.pdf

this is from last year... but if that were to go into effect for texas it appears it would be detrimental to NCA high school nationals. i didn't do any actual calculations... but i'd guesstimate ~80% of their attendees were from texas.

(ps @ASCheerMan or any Varsity person, y'all spelled varsity wrong on this page in case you want to fix it ;) Cheer and Dance Competitions - Varsity.com )

Well that would be slightly detrimental.

Someone (with more time than me) should do a spreadsheet for each state that has declared it a sport and the additional regulations/limitations that have come with that. (Can't to all star, can't do nationals, etc.)

There is also a high school nationals (NCA) in Texas, which would be in state for Texas high schools.

Yea but it still sucks if they go by UCA score sheets. They would need to change there routine and cheering ways to fit the NCA scoring. I mean not difficult but some coaches do one better then another. Ya know?

I guess It depends on what school! I got to Pinelands on NJ and if were a sport we can't travel out of state

Back