The Majors 2016 Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We used to do Syracuse to VA beach every year for Final Destination/US Finals which is a 9 hour drive without stops and traffic. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't want to do it every month. Especially since cheer happens in the middle of winter.

I guess the option of driving, in theory, cuts down on costs for parents but your child is still going to miss just as much school because anything over 7 hours means you're either skipping parts of school or your driving in veryyyyy late at night. And I doubt southerners want to drive to all these places in the middle of winter when snow is common in many of the places I listed. Granted I don't see CEA going to Ohio, Pennsylvania or anyplace north of Virginia with the exception of Indy and DC but still. The idea is plausible but I'm interested in how it plays out for CEA this season.

I mean I've done the 24 hour drive to florida, I know it's all possible... but the gas cost, car upkeep if you're driving that often, weather, and extra days traveling seems like more of a problem then a solution to the constant flights. Having all of your kids and families in separate cars on highways in winter is also very risky with either kids not making it to comps on time and/or God forbid car accidents. I'm sure all families still have the option of flying if they so choose, she's not forcing them to drive...

so basically they just won't be at NCA, which they were already probably boycotting because they were pissed none of their hit routines won?

that's nuts. I wouldn't consider anything more than 7 hours "driving distance" but more power to them, i guess. it'd probably be cheaper to fly to half of those places.

Last year I easily drove to Louisville, Richmond, Indy, ATL, Orlando for both UCA (by myself) and Worlds (with hubby) and Myrtle Beach.

I drove by myself for years to DC and can do it again this year for Champions League.

I consider Dallas too far to drive but I know people who drive it just fine. (Shrug).

Last year I easily drove to Louisville, Richmond, Indy, ATL, Orlando for both UCA (by myself) and Worlds (with hubby) and Myrtle Beach.

I drove by myself for years to DC and can do it again this year for Champions League.

I consider Dallas too far to drive but I know people who drive it just fine. (Shrug).

The icy roads make that drive even harder.

I am "considering" driving to Indy this year because we have friends along the way who might want to attend and we could pick them up along the way. Plus the added savings would be a bonus LOL.

We used to do Syracuse to VA beach every year for Final Destination/US Finals which is a 9 hour drive without stops and traffic. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't want to do it every month. Especially since cheer happens in the middle of winter.

I guess the option of driving, in theory, cuts down on costs for parents but your child is still going to miss just as much school because anything over 7 hours means you're either skipping parts of school or your driving in veryyyyy late at night. And I doubt southerners want to drive to all these places in the middle of winter when snow is common in many of the places I listed. Granted I don't see CEA going to Ohio, Pennsylvania or anyplace north of Virginia with the exception of Indy and DC but still. The idea is plausible but I'm interested in how it plays out for CEA this season.

I drive to Virginia Beach a few years in a row for US Finals. That was a hike, I forget how long, maybe 9-10 hours? I wouldn't do it again now that I'm not a broke college kid anymore. We did drive to Atlantic City this year, which is about 6 - though it took a lot longer because I drove home in a BLIZZARD. And yes, my poor husband had to drive my civic through CT and MA in a blizzard, but at least we weren't stuck in Atlantic City until Tuesday like some teammates who flew to Philly.

Saying "we're not booking any comps you have to fly to" sounds all great in theory until it means you're asking parents to drive 8+ hours. How many of them are going to book flights anyway? I suppose that having the option is better than not, but still.

I drove to Virginia Beach a few years in a row for US Finals. That was a hike, I forget how long, maybe 9-10 hours? I wouldn't do it again now that I'm not a broke college kid anymore. We did drive to Atlantic City this year, which is about 6-7 (though took a lot longer on the way home since we had to drive through a BLIZZARD).

Saying "we're not booking any comps you have to fly to" sounds all great in theory until it means you're asking parents to drive 8+ hours. How many of them are going to book flights anyway? I suppose that having the option is better than not, but still.

Last edited:

I guess the question is really what is the "no flights" thing really? Because technically the entire continental US is "driving distance" - I've driven from VA to the west coast before. I'm just wondering how that's saving any money or hassle for families if it costs just as much to drive (and takes more time) as it does to fly. Going places that are an 8-10 hour drive away is not what I consider a cost saving comp schedule. I just don't get it.

If there are just 2 people going, it's usually cheaper to fly - and definitely less time out of school.

(I get why y'all would go to these comps, I just don't get why she made this big thing about not going to comps that require a flight if you're still going to go to things that are hundreds of miles away. I mean, realistically none of the comps you'd go to *require* a flight, unless you're going to Europe or something)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I guess it all comes down to each parents personal comfort zone. An 8 hour drive to me, just isn't a big deal.
I'm sure if there are people who want to fly they certainly can still do that. Usually the weather isn't a factor in NC....although I've had blizzard conditions driving to Indy one year (hubby went) and it snowed heavily from DC home one year. Other than that I can't really think of any time the weather was an issue for us. (I know one year we didn't do Cheersport but there were weather issues that year).

Full disclosure NCA is 17 hours. For me, that's not drivable. We flew there. But, there are families on our team who wanted to drive and did it. And got an unexpected surprise that they passed the exit for Duck Dynasty.

I admit if we lived in CT, MA, NH or any of the states where snow and extreme cold weather was the norm I would feel much differently.

I'm not claiming my way is the best way. I'm not claiming some won't fly. But, it's within a distance where people do have choices, and I didn't feel that was true for Dallas and CL in LAX this past year.

And, maybe I'm fighting the wrong battle here. Lmao. I feel like y'all aren't really concerned about an 8 hour drive as much as her reasons for not doing NCA.

Someone help me.....I can't keep posting about what's within driving distance of that's not your issue. If you think she's full of it say that, so I feel like I'm defending the right things.

Last edited:
I guess it all comes down to each parents personal comfort zone. An 8 hour drive to me, just isn't a big deal.
I'm sure if there are people who want to fly they certainly can still do that. Usually the weather isn't a factor in NC....although I've had blizzard conditions driving to Indy one year (hubby went) and it snowed heavily from DC home one year. Other than that I can't really think of any time the weather was an issue for us. (I know one year we didn't do Cheersport but there were weather issues that year).

Full disclosure NCA is 17 hours. For me, that's not drivable. We flew there. But, there are families on our team who wanted to drive and did it. And got an unexpected surprise that they passed the exit for Duck Dynasty.

I admit if we lived in CT, MA, NH or any of the states where snow and extreme cold weather was the norm I would feel much differently.

I'm not claiming my way is the best way. I'm not claiming some won't fly. But, it's within a distance where people do have choices, and I didn't feel that was true for Dallas and CL in LAX this past year.

I agree. I was just referring to icy roads for NCA. The roads and weather are always an issue at NCA for me. I live in Texas. I am only 3 hours away, but when I get close to Dallas the roads are scary.

And, maybe I'm fighting the wrong battle here. Lmao. I feel like y'all aren't really concerned about an 8 hour drive as much as her reasons for not doing NCA.

Someone help me.....I can't keep posting about what's within driving distance of that's not your issue. If you think she's full of it say that, so I feel like I'm defending the right things.
Even if she is bailing on NCA because she's not been happy with the results the last two years why is that a big deal? Every single gym and owner has changed up a comp schedule because they didn't like how it went, how is this different?

We're not even with CEA anymore and the general obsession to nit pick every single thing they do and say is tiresome. I won't even read the team thread anymore since it's turned into nothing but unending pages of a veiled (or not so veiled) assault on the LOT/SE decision.

One of my favorite movie lines comes from "finding forrester" and that entire discussion isn't exactly a "soup" question. Neither is this one.

Points to you if that reference made sense to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think people are saying they CSP is full of it.

If I'm remembering the timeline correctly, she threw a fit about NCA and then shortly after made an announcement that CEA was only going to attend comps to which they could drive. It was framed as this great thing to save parents money and kids time off from school, but ultimately the only competition it's cutting out is NCA. If you don't want to go to NCA, don't go to NCA. Don't wrap it up in a statement that makes it sounds like you're only trying to save parents money since cheer has become so expensive. A drive of 8-10 hours isn't going to save kids much if any time off from school.

Last edited:
From what I got CSP said they weren't doing any stay to play. Is Majors stay to play?

I think people are saying they think CSP is full of it. She made a big announcement not longer after throwing a fit about NCA about how next year CEA was only going to do driving comps - as if the two events weren't related. It turns out that really the only comp being cut out of the schedule is NCA. If you don't want to go to NCA, just say it. Don't wrap it up in a statement that makes it sounds like you're trying to save the parents all this money, when the real reason is that you just don't want to go to NCA.

If you knew her it would make perfect sense. Lol. I agree posting in the heat of the moment at NCA wasn't her best move. She's definitely passionate about her views and kids. When she gets home and has a chance to think it through she comes up with another reason a break might be a good thing. After the season ends and she's considering where to compete this year she might think of some other reasons a break is good. All of those reasons are still valid, no matter when she thought of them. All of us make life decisions based on our experiences, I don't see this as any different.

To me it's like taking a break from your boyfriend or best friend to figure out if the relationship you have is still good for you at this point in your life. Only time will tell.

From what I got CSP said they weren't doing any stay to play. Is Majors stay to play?

I don't remember her stating Stay to Play in those words, but, I've certainly been wrong before and can admit if I'm wrong on this one!

Back