All-Star The Summit-bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well and if I have followed this correctly this is a Varsity event and bids are only available at Varsity-affiliated competitions. So ... from Varsity's viewpoint, more NE competitions should affiliate with Varsity so they can give the NE gyms the opportunity to get bids.

It's all a for-profit business ... not non-for-profit like the Olympics.

At least in New England, which I think the OP was referring to, the two major events (and worlds bid events) both ARE Varsity. Even pushing down to New Jersey, most are Varsity I think. Some times you just gotta travel.

Like NCMom said, our gym went into the season knowing we had very few opportunities to receive bids, and our coaches told us up front we would not be going if we did not receive a full paid bid. I feel like this has truly has been pushing us because we feel like a worlds team with a goal for the season to get a bid.. just to our equivalent of worlds.
As a non level 5 athlete that can only go to worlds if she pays her way there (and still doesn't get to compete), this is such a big deal. I'm so pumped for this and ready to have the 'worlds experience'.

2 of the teams at my gym have gotten at-large bids, but my coach said the only way we would even think about going is if we got a paid bid. We already go to UCA in March so another Florida trip is just too expensive.

I was a little skeptical about this comp at first, but it is now reminding me of what US Finals strived to be when it first started and was called Final Destination. Only the top 3 teams in a division got a bid and you actually had to earn that bid (or so it seemed to me at the time). I hope this turns out to be a great competition and truly gives a Worlds-like experience to the rest of the cheer world.

I think the worry is that it might become VERY region-heavy. Yes, there will probably be a lot more summit bids at NCA than Athletic in Providence, but more teams are probably 'local' to NCA than any are to Providence. It might be easier for a team to get a bid to the summit from Texas (granted, the competition at those levels is fierce across the board, so it's not like a walk in the park)..

Basically ease-of-access with cost might off-set how difficult it is to get one. Teams from Texas or Florida might have easier, cheaper ways to repeatedly go for a bid in their natural schedule, as opposed to outlier regions where you get maybe one shot a season without adding competitions where you have to drive 8 hours.

Im just saying I rather the top 2 teams in each division have an oppertunity, to spread 2 paid bids with in 1 comp between levels 1 thru restricted 5 is making it nearly impossible to go, not when the north east is packed with talented teams in NJ alone you have WC, JA, CJA, NJSE,AS1, SJS, Star Athletics, then add maryland, Pa, any one of these teams /gyms produce winning teams and are at the top of their game, but with only 2-3 comps with in a 8 hr drive only giving away 3-5 paid bids and a handful at large, it kinda sucks comming from an area with multi talented good gyms. You take the west coast where you have numerous good gyms, they have twice the chances twice the opportunities to win a bid.

Our gym has received 2 paids at the 2 comps we've been to that have offered. Incredible odds, and the kids from those 2 teams are ecstatic. We will not accept at-larges. 2 of our teams have another shot at Cheersport, and everyone will have 1 final shot at Return to Atlantis. I don't foresee us bid chasing next year.

My concern is, I'm hearing a lot of gyms will only attend on an Paid. Given the high expense of a Disney competition, it being after Worlds and most gyms have ended their season, I wonder how successful this will be into the future. I hope it's wonderful and everything the kids want it to be. I, however, am waiting with baited breath.

We won't attend this comp. - even if we did get a paid bid. It is WAY to big of an expense. Our schedule was already set before they came up with all of this & our levels 3 & 4's are going to UCA in March. There is no way we could expect them to go to Florida twice.
I hope it does go well. It just isn't for us this year.
I was against it at first, but i do like the idea that they are trying to do something bigger for the lower levels.

I was just thinking about this. I feel like I rarely hear of anyone giving out bids or receiving them. When I do though, it is out of a lot of teams. I have to agree with NJ Coach, I am weary about how well this competition will go.

My daughter's gym had 1 qualifier on the schedule. We attended and her team earned an At Large Bid - they are going. We are all very excited and proud of the team. I believe that the EP only gave away 1 paid and 3 at large bids at that event!

Our gym has received 2 paids at the 2 comps we've been to that have offered. Incredible odds, and the kids from those 2 teams are ecstatic. We will not accept at-larges. 2 of our teams have another shot at Cheersport, and everyone will have 1 final shot at Return to Atlantis. I don't foresee us bid chasing next year.

My concern is, I'm hearing a lot of gyms will only attend on an Paid. Given the high expense of a Disney competition, it being after Worlds and most gyms have ended their season, I wonder how successful this will be into the future. I hope it's wonderful and everything the kids want it to be. I, however, am waiting with baited breath.

Varsity's Summit page has many teams listed with awarded at-large bids. Does anyone know if those are the bids that have been awarded or that have been awarded AND accepted?

http://register.varsity.com/VAS/The%20Summit%20Bid%20Winners.pdf

I mean, it seems crazy but Worlds teams travel to get bids too... It's intended to be like Worlds so I guess they're expecting you to be as committed to getting a bid as you would be for Worlds. It's still new so maybe they'll give more bids next year?

Back