All-Star Tiny Cheer Practice Layout

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would say it really depends on what your goals are with this program. Is this a competitive team of 5 and 6 year old who are going to learn a full routine and go to competitions, or is this a skill building exhibition style team for 3-5 year olds who are not competing?

For a competitive Tiny team we don't really run practice any different than any other team, which is something that it doesn't seem like a lot of other people do, but because we have a Tiny exhibition it is a privilege to be on the Tiny Compete team and we treat them like big girls. They come in, stretch, and then work through each section of the routine. Just like any other team, some times we work more on one area than other. We usually then call them in and give them a little pep talk, and then they go home. We don't spend a lot of time playing games

For a skill building team we do spend more time playing games. We focus a lot on proper motion technique and jumping as well as the beginnings of basic tumbling like forward rolls and handstands. We also work a lot on remembering places and standing in correct spots on the floor. We use foam stars with velcro on them. Focus a lot on strength and fine motor skill building.

We "Go to the zoo" a lot. We have a lot of animal based exercises we do. Bunny hops, bear crawl, crab walk, snake roll etc..

Please for the love of cheer don't teach kids "silly" names for motions. Your mini and youth coaches will thank you later.

Please for the love of cheer don't teach kids "silly" names for motions. Your mini and youth coaches will thank you later.
YES AMEN. Use the normal names people. I will not lie though, I do call my hands "little donuts" and "big donuts," but I also do that with my seniors. ;) There's just no better way to describe them.

YES AMEN. Use the normal names people. I will not lie though, I do call my hands "little donuts" and "big donuts," but I also do that with my seniors. ;) There's just no better way to describe them.
We call those "cinnamon rolls" vs. "donut holes"... At every age level. I assume we're talking about the same thing..? For ex, in a high V, you show cinnamon rolls, in a touchdown motion, you show donut holes... Right? [emoji4]

We call those "cinnamon rolls" vs. "donut holes"... At every age level. I assume we're talking about the same thing..? For ex, in a high V, you show cinnamon rolls, in a touchdown motion, you show donut holes... Right? [emoji4]
Yup, same thing. There's just no better way to say it. I don't want to shout "SHOW ME YOUR BIG HOLES."

Our competitive Tiny team practice runs just like a M1 practice. Warm ups, they practice sections and rotate through various circuits, do full runs throughs, etc. However, it's infused with games played sporadically throughout the practice to get the girls to release some energy and refocus. They also have more water breaks. Games that they play include freeze tag and dance based games. I should also add that we have 2 Tiny teams, our competitive team where the goal is to have team RO's and a good portion of the team with BWO's, and our younger Tiny team that is more of a show team and has younger girls (3-4yrs old) and is more play based.

Coaching Tiny's is like herding cats. They're super cute but need a lot of refocusing and extra attention. If you fail to plan you'll plan to fail. Tiny's can smell an ill-prepared coach a mile away! They need a schedule and love the familiar. They thrive on tons of afirmation and encouragement, and imitate their coaches behavior at home when they play "cheer practice" at home with their dolls and friends. They're little mimics. They're all about friendships and shared moments.

They come in, stretch, and then work through each section of the routine. Just like any other team, some times we work more on one area than other.

The first is about how CP's current team handles business.

The second is because I spit my soda reading that...the things you don't think about with the littles.

Latest posts

Back