Tips On Getting My Bhs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 17, 2014
Hi everyone! I am glad to be here :) so I have a problem. I have done school cheer for 2 years and am doing allstar next year, but I can't get my back handspring. I didn't have much motivation last year, but I want to be on the same team as my best friend. My gym will have a senior 1,2,3,4, and 5. I have level 3 stunting skills, but only a back end kickover. I know how to base and backspot very well. I am so frustrated because I go to tumbling every other day but tryouts are in the middle of April and if I am not on the same team as my friend(who has a shaky standing bhs) I will not be able to get to practice. We are carpooling because the drive is pretty far and my mom can't do all the driving alone. What do I do to push myself? I know I have to lean back and lock out my arms. I have it on the trampoline and tumble track. Thanks for all your help!:D

I would say that you need to have a solid back walkover before you try your back handspring. To help get that more solid, work on your handstands. Your body needs to be able to hold its own weight before you'll be able to flip yourself over. Work on your shoulder flexibility to help with your walkover as well. Once you've got the walkover down pat, getting your bhs will be a lot easier.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I would say that you need to have a solid back walkover before you try your back handspring. To help get that more solid, work on your handstands. Your body needs to be able to hold its own weight before you'll be able to flip yourself over. Work on your shoulder flexibility to help with your walkover as well. Once you've got the walkover down pat, getting your bhs will be a lot easier.

Thank you so much! I will work on that :D

I never learned a back walkover but can handspring with no problem, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Do you have your BHS by yourself on a cheese mat?

I learned my backhandspring from starting at the top of the cheese mat and slowly working my way down the mat, one inch at a time, until I got it. Make sure to JUMP as hard and you can. SWING your arms with all your might. LOCK out those elbows. and SNAP your legs down hard. (and squeeze your body the wholeeee time!) Good luck!:D

When I was learning my bhs I had trouble leaning back, too! But we fixed it pretty easily by marking the middle of a mat (like in between two strips) with something small, and I would spot it while I did my spring and make sure I put my hands on it. This forced me to lean backwards and I eventually got the hang of it! I always found locking my arms out a lot harder on spring floor than it is on hard mat. But really absorb through your shoulders and shrug instead of bending at your elbows! Good luck :) Hope you get it soon!!!

I never learned a back walkover but can handspring with no problem, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Do you have your BHS by yourself on a cheese mat?

I learned my backhandspring from starting at the top of the cheese mat and slowly working my way down the mat, one inch at a time, until I got it. Make sure to JUMP as hard and you can. SWING your arms with all your might. LOCK out those elbows. and SNAP your legs down hard. (and squeeze your body the wholeeee time!) Good luck!:D
Thank you!!! :DI do have it on a cheese mat. I will work on that next time I go to an open gym! Thanks :)

When I was learning my bhs I had trouble leaning back, too! But we fixed it pretty easily by marking the middle of a mat (like in between two strips) with something small, and I would spot it while I did my spring and make sure I put my hands on it. This forced me to lean backwards and I eventually got the hang of it! I always found locking my arms out a lot harder on spring floor than it is on hard mat. But really absorb through your shoulders and shrug instead of bending at your elbows! Good luck :) Hope you get it soon!!!
Thank you so much! I will do that and combine it with the cheese mat idea from above <3 thank you

Work on your arm and shoulder strength!! A lot of people can get the technique part of a bhs but then can't hold their weight up which can make for an ugly/bent arm bhs. So in addition to practicing lots and lots of bhs, do exercises to build up your strength (push-ups, handstand holds against a wall, planks, etc). Good luck!

(I don't have my bhs but I helped a little girl learn from my experience) first if you have a tramp at home try doing a back bend and then try and kick both your legs over at the se time. also I've heard if you watch your hands it helps. :)

Hi, in gymnastics, I have been able to do it by myself, in the pit on a slightly tilted mat, and on the incline mat, I haven't done it on the flat ground yet though... Also, I now have this giant mental block, and how can I get over it? Oh one more thing, most of the time when I do my back handspring, (w/o the spot) my front part of my arm gets a giant splintering pain in it...any help would be appreciated

Back