OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Just checking in and seeing how it is going.
We actually had our first three days of recruitment this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and our philanthropy round is tomorrow night, preference round Saturday morning, and bid day Saturday night! They probably had the break in there for the start of classes. I'll keep you updated! Since my post, I've really opened up my eyes to the houses I did get asked back to and realized how great one of them was. Regardless of the age conflict, everything happens for a reason and hopefully I made it through to tomorrow!

We actually had our first three days of recruitment this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and our philanthropy round is tomorrow night, preference round Saturday morning, and bid day Saturday night! They probably had the break in there for the start of classes. I'll keep you updated! Since my post, I've really opened up my eyes to the houses I did get asked back to and realized how great one of them was. Regardless of the age conflict, everything happens for a reason and hopefully I made it through to tomorrow!
Good luck! Sincerely hope you get what you want!

Hey guys I have a question!! So I went to the Greek expo to meet all the chapters and I absolutely loved it even more than I thought I would. However I need help with answering a question. Almost every single girl asked me why I decided to rush sophomore year instead of freshman year. I said it was because I was cheering freshman year and it was a huge commitment. Then they'd ask why I wasn't doing it any more and I said it was too busy with school (which is what I tell people instead of saying I was cut because that's embarrassing lol). However I feel like this makes it seem like I'm not a committed person which is not the case at all. I need help phrasing this answer! Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys I have a question!! So I went to the Greek expo to meet all the chapters and I absolutely loved it even more than I thought I would. However I need help with answering a question. Almost every single girl asked me why I decided to rush sophomore year instead of freshman year. I said it was because I was cheering freshman year and it was a huge commitment. Then they'd ask why I wasn't doing it any more and I said it was too busy with school (which is what I tell people instead of saying I was cut because that's embarrassing lol). However I feel like this makes it seem like I'm not a committed person which is not the case at all. I need help phrasing this answer! Thanks guys

*never been on the other side of recruitment so this could be way wrong it's just how I would answer*
Maybe say that cheering in college wasn't really for you and you're doing an allstar team this year because you still love it? You've been cheering for a long time so I don't think it would seem like you're not committed, especially if you mention your allstar experience! Plus it's college lots of people try stuff out and don't end up sticking with it, at least where I am it's pretty common - but you didn't ditch your commitment, you finished it out and did it the whole year!

I'd say something along the lines of wanting to commit to other aspects of campus life and give reasons why you thought going Greek would be good for that, community service, philanthropies, making lifelong friends in your chapter and others, etc. Cheer has already been part of your life but college is about trying new things and you know cheer will always be there for you to return to!

*never been on the other side of recruitment so this could be way wrong it's just how I would answer*
Maybe say that cheering in college wasn't really for you and you're doing an allstar team this year because you still love it? You've been cheering for a long time so I don't think it would seem like you're not committed, especially if you mention your allstar experience! Plus it's college lots of people try stuff out and don't end up sticking with it, at least where I am it's pretty common - but you didn't ditch your commitment, you finished it out and did it the whole year!
So true, thank you! This really helped!

I've rushed A LOT of girls and I can honestly tell you that thought wouldn't cross my mind. I can't speak for everyone of course, but while talking to a girl I would try to picture her fitting in the chapter. It can almost be seen as a positive, that you understand time management and priorities, both of which are important skills in Greek Life. You knew that school cheer and a sorority would have been too much for you while in your first year. Now you're settled into school and your path has become a little more clear, so you know that greek life is something you want to be involved with!

Back