OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm all done! We got initiated about 3 weeks ago. We do a pillow/paddle exchange with our bigs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! My daughter's initiation was very early, on October 28th, and I think they were the first sorority to finish pledging. Does your school do spring rush as well? Mine was telling me they typically don't but the overall numbers were down this year and about 8 sororities including them were going to be doing it; I think they need 200 members for their charter and they only have 196 at the moment.

Congrats! My daughter's initiation was very early, on October 28th, and I think they were the first sorority to finish pledging. Does your school do spring rush as well? Mine was telling me they typically don't but the overall numbers were down this year and about 8 sororities including them were going to be doing it; I think they need 200 members for their charter and they only have 196 at the moment.
200, wow I think we only have about 96 in our whole chapter. We aren't doing spring rush, my pledge class was the largest they've had in a while. For the most part sororities at my schools don't do spring rush, however if fall rush keeps growing every year like it did this year I could definitely see it happening in the future

200, wow I think we only have about 96 in our whole chapter. We aren't doing spring rush, my pledge class was the largest they've had in a while. For the most part sororities at my schools don't do spring rush, however if fall rush keeps growing every year like it did this year I could definitely see it happening in the future

Huge school = more kids involved in Greek life. If they don't get involved in something early on, its definitely easier to feel lost longer.

Huge school = more kids involved in Greek life. If they don't get involved in something early on, its definitely easier to feel lost longer.
Totally makes sense!! I go to a huge school to but Greek life just isn't very popular. Definitely on the upswing though which is very exciting!

Good luck to everybody preparing for recruitment! I know a lot of larger schools do it around this time of year, so sending good vibes and blessings of low stress to all you actives, and warm fuzzy excitement to all you PNMs! Hope you find your home :cheering:

On another note -- any of my fierce friends current/former chapter presidents? I was elected in about a month ago and I have a lot of questions!

SO the school I am currently at, Greek life isn't big at all so I never really felt the need to go through recruitment. I'm transferring to a community college in my hometown for spring semester and then transferring to UT for my final two years and I'm seriously considering going through recruitment because greek life is huge there. Any tips on rushing as a junior? Is it weird?

SO the school I am currently at, Greek life isn't big at all so I never really felt the need to go through recruitment. I'm transferring to a community college in my hometown for spring semester and then transferring to UT for my final two years and I'm seriously considering going through recruitment because greek life is huge there. Any tips on rushing as a junior? Is it weird?
There are two juniors in my pledge class! It's not common but definitely not unheard of here. But everything's bigger in Texas lol so it could be different there? But juniors go through and find a house at Mizzou!

There are two juniors in my pledge class! It's not common but definitely not unheard of here. But everything's bigger in Texas lol so it could be different there? But juniors go through and find a house at Mizzou!

Its the University of Tennessee in knoxville! Not texas :) but thank you! Im excited but greek life at my current school nobody really takes seriously.

I know a girl in ZTA there that transferred in! I can ask her about this if you want.

My daughter went thru recruitment as a Junior. There were quite a few juniors that went as well. Her school is used to Juniors going thru recruitment - so it wasn't unheard of, but some chapters did cut the Juniors just because they were Juniors. She ended up in a chapter she loves - so it can be done - just depends on the school and going thru with an open mind :)

Im curious if the chapters you guys are apart of have a money limit on gifts for big little reveal and other mandatory gift giving. One of my friends from another chapter on campus said they had a strict limit on gifts for reveal and initiation, and that they were encouraged to give the more expensive or elaborate gifts in private so other girls wouldn't be jealous. My chapter is given limits on our four days leading up to reveal, but thats about it. We are told to keep it in the reasonable range, but that obviously varies for everyone. Also if you guys don't mind sharing, about how much did you spend on reveal/initiation (if you guys give gifts for that). One of my friends thinks what I've spent on my little for reveal and initiation is excessive.

Im curious if the chapters you guys are apart of have a money limit on gifts for big little reveal and other mandatory gift giving. One of my friends from another chapter on campus said they had a strict limit on gifts for reveal and initiation, and that they were encouraged to give the more expensive or elaborate gifts in private so other girls wouldn't be jealous. My chapter is given limits on our four days leading up to reveal, but thats about it. We are told to keep it in the reasonable range, but that obviously varies for everyone. Also if you guys don't mind sharing, about how much did you spend on reveal/initiation (if you guys give gifts for that). One of my friends thinks what I've spent on my little for reveal and initiation is excessive.
I'm not a big yet but for big little and for big appreciation we have specific gifts each day. For reveal: first day S day - S (sigma) letter and sweets/snacks. Second day K day - K letter, Kanvas, Kup (/mug/waterbottle/you get the idea). Third day we got shirts (2-3 on average), crafts, and a picture frame and other SK trinkets. Then at reveal we got our "baskets", which had an assortment of stuff in them and seemed like it was more up to the bigs - mine had more crafts and snacks, some people got more tshirts and such. For big appreciation the first two days were the same, the third day was a craft, a picture frame, and a letter. For initiation our bigs made us hangers that we got the night before to hang our initiation dresses on. We have guidelines, but it still varies a bit. Some people got a bunch of canvases and some only got a few, one of my friends got an Alex and Ani bracelet the third day, some people got TONS of sweets, etc. People went more overboard for big little than they did for big appreciation but even then some people made so many canvases for their big! I made 4 canvases for mine. The guidelines are nice because left on my own I would not be a good big haha but it's nice to know what's expected, then I can do more if I want! Plus I think it keeps people more reasonable than if it was just "shower them with gifts" because we're all getting similar stuff, just everyone's is a little different!
Some other houses here go a little crazy and it seems nice for the little but for the big it's so much! I think ours seems pretty reasonable, big appreciation week was totally doable at least! Nothing compares to the girls I know at Texas tech's snapchat stories during big little week though... SO. MANY. TSHIRTS! Everything's bigger in Texas I guess!

Back