All-Star Trending Towards "mega-gyms"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The biggest shame for me is to see athletes who spent their entire cheering career at a small gym learning and perfecting their skills, then turn around and leave for a big named gym. Although we are the consumers and have the right to leave or join any gym we want, it's sad when the time, effort, and dedication that a gym puts into an athlete are forgotten.
My daughter has spent her entire career at a small gym learning and perfecting her skills, and then this year left for a bigger more competitive gym. Now for my reasons.... Our gym was only able to offer a restricted 5 team or an IOC5. She has a strong level 5 tumbling, we felt as a family she deserved to throw the skills she has, and be challenged with girls of similar age and skills, and harder skills to push her. Then you can say well she had IOC5, but this division is a division she will have to be in soon enough, she has this year and next year if she choses to super senior. Plus, it is ages 14 to 35+ big age spread....hard division IMO. But the time, effort, and dedication, goes both ways!!!! There are children who have been in and on the same teams with my daughter since she was on youth, who have not advanced like my daughter.....same classes, same coaches, ect. I think it is a very hard and personal decision these children have to make......but in no way are any of the coaches that have touched my daughters life forgotten!!! The will always be considered treasures in my eyes!!!!

tumblr_mgh6zbIu3B1s1a62oo1_500.gif

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg!!!!
I'm pretty sure this is EXACTLY what he wanted to do, but he held it together and played it all cool.

But I know him.... He was doing this inside....for like three days!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

My daughter has spent her entire career at a small gym learning and perfecting her skills, and then this year left for a bigger more competitive gym. Now for my reasons.... Our gym was only able to offer a restricted 5 team or an IOC5. She has a strong level 5 tumbling, we felt as a family she deserved to throw the skills she has, and be challenged with girls of similar age and skills, and harder skills to push her. Then you can say well she had IOC5, but this division is a division she will have to be in soon enough, she has this year and next year if she choses to super senior. Plus, it is ages 14 to 35+ big age spread....hard division IMO. But the time, effort, and dedication, goes both ways!!!! There are children who have been in and on the same teams with my daughter since she was on youth, who have not advanced like my daughter.....same classes, same coaches, ect. I think it is a very hard and personal decision these children have to make......but in no way are any of the coaches that have touched my daughters life forgotten!!! The will always be considered treasures in my eyes!!!!
I get that, really I do. I guess to me the question is...do you want to take your gym to worlds or do you want a gym that's going to take you to worlds. When our gym first started, the highest team they fielded was a level 2. It's only because the athletes have stayed and grown with the gym that we've been able to have a level 5 team. It's all a personal decision but in 10 years, I'd hate to see Worlds be a showdown between Cali Cali, Cali North, Cali New England, Cali Gulf, and Cali Extreme East.... I'd like to see a Worlds in which we can't begin to predict the outcome because there are so many great gyms out there. That's the only way cheer will continue to be an accessible sport.

I kind of feel like there's some exclusivity that some of them feel is at some mega gyms. That they're going to be part of some exclusive club. I think that plays a factor too sometimes

There is definitely truth to this...Who doesn't want to be part of an exclusive club? With that club membership they'll get better training and coaching, they'll be famous, and they'll win ALL the time. ANDDDDDD, they'll get free uniforms from companies that should be working to unify the industry, not divide it by playing favorites for the sake of business.

Now, there is obvious sarcasm there since this is clearly not always the case...but with that element of sarcasm comes a grain of truth that probably resonates with many a gym owner and coach who has busted her/his butt off to develop well-rounded athletes only to see them up and leave for the mega gyms, and not always because they or their parents are unhappy.

Sometimes, the brand image of a particular gym is enough of a selling factor for the move towards the mega gyms, even when the parent/athlete knows it won't involve being on a level 5 team or going to Worlds. That's not necessarily a bad thing; in fact, the Cheer Athletics, Stingrays, WC, CA, GymTyme's etc. etc. of the world will argue that this is a GREAT thing.....but there are more gyms out there with top-notch coaches and training than there are mega gyms, and unfortunately many of them will continue to lose athletes as the definition of loyalty continues to evolve and as more cheer parents become as obsessed with the pageantry of it all as their own kids.

Now I'm not saying an athlete/parent should feel obligated to maintain loyalty when they are genuinely unhappy, but this should be the guiding question: Would you leave mega gym for the same reason you left smaller gym? If the answer is no, then you should probably re-evaluate why you left in the first place.

Cheerleading is big business and there is a lot at stake, but let's be honest, ten years from now no one in the real world is going to care what team you or your kid cheered on.

Now I'm not saying an athlete/parent should feel obligated to maintain loyalty when they are genuinely unhappy, but this should be the guiding question: Would you leave mega gym for the same reason you left smaller gym? If the answer is no, then you should probably re-evaluate why you left in the first place.

That is probably the best thing that I've read on these boards about this subject!

I get that, really I do. I guess to me the question is...do you want to take your gym to worlds or do you want a gym that's going to take you to worlds. When our gym first started, the highest team they fielded was a level 2. It's only because the athletes have stayed and grown with the gym that we've been able to have a level 5 team. It's all a personal decision but in 10 years, I'd hate to see Worlds be a showdown between Cali Cali, Cali North, Cali New England, Cali Gulf, and Cali Extreme East.... I'd like to see a Worlds in which we can't begin to predict the outcome because there are so many great gyms out there. That's the only way cheer will continue to be an accessible sport.
I get what you're saying here. But I think it gets to what you want from a gym a d there are people for both categories. The idea of taking your gym to worlds, by definition, means you're carrying that gym. That's a lot of pressure on a kid/small group of kids to carry their team. There are some that thrive in that environment and want to be the spotlight. But other kids might not be comfortable with the spotlight and that responsibility. They may want to use/improve/build their skills with more advanced athletes so they can still use that handspring double, but not be expected to throw it in 5 passes during the routine. Some kids might be all about that.

Thought this was an appropriate place to discuss...

Stingrays announced their expansion into Huntsville, Alabama. Sounded like a merger/acquisition with a smaller program from the tweets.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Thought this was an appropriate place to discuss...

Stingrays announced their expansion into Huntsville, Alabama. Sounded like a merger/acquisition with a smaller program from the tweets.

I was wondering how long it would be before this popped up on FB. I think it's interesting that they're going out of Georgia... I feel like stingrays will always be a Georgia gym in my mind! I think they've done a great job of keeping their two locations competitive across all levels and I hope they can continue that! :rays:

I was wondering how long it would be before this popped up on FB. I think it's interesting that they're going out of Georgia... I feel like stingrays will always be a Georgia gym in my mind! I think they've done a great job of keeping their two locations competitive across all levels and I hope they can continue that! :rays:

Surprised I had to do it. I thought it would've been up long before I put it on here. ;)

As a fan of the sport I love seeing the absolute best compete with each other. I want Smoed to be filled with the best 20 athletes possible and for them to face Brandon who also has the best 20 they can get in an all out battle. Same goes for Cheetahs vs Top Gun vs Cali Coed and the other great large coed teams. Sure it would be nice if there could be a few more teams enter the mix in some divisions but in general I love seeing stacked teams.

And the top level 5 athletes obviously want the best coaching and overall experience so sometimes that requires moving. Its important to remember the cheerleader is the customer, they are paying for the service the gym provides, so if they do leave its not like the gym got nothing from them being there.

Tumblebeez are a great gym, but VERY small. they have been under the radar for many years. No doubt in my mind that their coaches will easily adjust to the stingray way and be able to carry it out on the teams. I am SOOOO excited that so many kids will get to experience being a ray and in a different state at that.

Tumblebeez? Wait, where have I heard that name on the boards before?

I may be completely making this up..
But isn't this the one that bama guy said was cheating?
Not sure... And I may have that so wrong but if your wondering where you heard it I would check that thread out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumblebeez? Wait, where have I heard that name on the boards before?
I may be completely making this up..
But isn't this the one that bama guy said was cheating?
Not sure... And I may have that so wrong but if your wondering where you heard it I would check that thread out!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaCheerGuy was throwing shade on them last summer, but then someone from that gym came and called him out and he disappeared from the fierceboard. It was an interesting summer-thread. If any of you want to re-read: Get This! | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Back