All-Star Trending Towards "mega-gyms"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't like the way it's going, especially with gyms "expanding" and "combining" left and right. Yes, Worlds was already dominated by a group of gyms, but with all the flying and moving and expanding, it makes it hard for home grown kind of gyms to move up the Worlds ladder. Pretty soon, gyms that dont have 3 or 4 locations will just be competing for top 10, not even contending for a medal.

I have no clue how to quote multiple posts, but this along with what @king said are my concerns. I could care less who is moving to what gym - it is none of my beeswax and everyone has the right to go to whatever gym they please. But the bottom line is that it is skewing the talent pool even more to the large gyms (and I am a firm believer they got that way because of how they teach and run their program, not because they are taking talent from other programs). Would a Division I and Division II at NCA, Cheersport, Worlds and/or other large Nationals help in the small coed and small senior divisions? High school and NCAA have a separation to make it more equitable - it may be time to look at the advantages and disadvantages to creating the same format, particularly at Worlds where there are upwards of 90 teams in the small divisions. Not that I am a fan of 90 teams, but I would be less of a fan if there comes a day when there are only 1o.

What if you had to apply to be qualified to have a level 5/6 team? Not restricted mind you, but some qualification to do worlds level. That could fix a lot of things.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Overall, I do find this to be true. And some of it I understand. If you really are a level 5 athlete who has been provided with a semi-level 5 team at a smaller gym (not everyone has a full/standing tuck, new flyers...). Would you want to be the person who carries a team? To me it would almost feel like a waste of time. If you can look at your level 5 team and know they are not going to Worlds, and you can look at yourself and say "I have the talent to be on a competitive level 5 team" why would you waste a year biding your time on hope that you might make it to Worlds.

Now, I think moving is flat out ridiculous. And I also think that small(er) gyms can field level 5 teams. For example, I've heard that CheerTyme Chantilly (this is their second season) was able to field quite a few level 5 teams. So it's possible.
EXACTLY. THANK YOU. Last year my team had 19 girls. We placed very close to last in the small senior division. We had about 5 that would compete a full and I was one of the 3 that would compete a double. I had to throw 5 doubles in the routine. Most figured "Oh they can just do all the tumbling and I don't have to get my layout." I didn't feel that was fair to me. For my super senior year, I've moved to a "mega gym" and made one of their elite teams. I wanted to be on a team with girls who have the skills i do, and girls who are better than me who are as committed and serious about cheer as I am. No hard feelings with my old team or coach. Just had to do what was right for me :)

I kind of feel like there's some exclusivity that some of them feel is at some mega gyms. That they're going to be part of some exclusive club. I think that plays a factor too sometimes

What if you had to apply to be qualified to have a level 5/6 team? Not restricted mind you, but some qualification to do worlds level. That could fix a lot of things.

King, I am not sure I am following you on this statement. How would this benefit the sport?

I kind of feel like there's some exclusivity that some of them feel is at some mega gyms. That they're going to be part of some exclusive club. I think that plays a factor too sometimes

True. I feel like when you're in high school and there are the popular kids in the lunch room. Most aspire to sit with them, and any chance that they are given they are going to take it. This is not to say that everyone is going to sit with the popular kids (join the megagym) which is why small gyms stay alive.

Our small gym, that has lost at least 10 highly talented athletes over the last 6 seasons that we have been there to some of these mega-gyms because the level 5 teams that our gym has had was no where near competitive. We happen to live in an area where there are a minimum of 5 gyms within 10 minutes of each other. The talent pool is very diluted with all of the gyms in the metroplex, with the exception of CA and SOT. I, for one, would choose to take my CPs to one of these mega-gyms if they had level 5 skills and had a chance to go to Worlds. If our gym could field a competitive Worlds team, there would be no reason for us to leave.

I have said this in another thread but I can honestly say I don't agree with moving your cp across the country for cheer especially when you live close to the world caliber teams. I can understand it would be frustrating for the kids who have high level skills to not be on the world contending teams but as a mom I would be very concerned with it. First of all, not all parents can afford to move with their cps to the other states and I would not be comfortable sending my kid to live across country with someone I don't know (sorry but you don't always know what happens behind close doors.) Secondly, what honestly happens if the athlete has a career ending injury and has to what? come home and start over in a new school, leave their friends and deal with that loss away from their family and support system. There are also so many other factors that dictate whether or not an athlete gets a scholarship or not, yes you need the skills but you also have to the grades to get into that school. Lets face it you can do a million whip doubles in a row but if you can't pass your math SAT then you might have a problem. I think a lot of people forget that these cps are student athletes... student comes first for me and for my kids. For me I would want to be there everyday and make sure that my cp was not only getting the best cheer instruction that she/ her can get but I would also want to make sure that they are doing well in school, are having fun, making friends, and are just plain happy! If you make the decision to move your kid then that is completely up to you and every family is different and makes decisions based on what they think is best for their child but I don't think it would be the right move for my family

I have said this in another thread but I can honestly say I don't agree with moving your cp across the country for cheer especially when you live close to the world caliber teams. I can understand it would be frustrating for the kids who have high level skills to not be on the world contending teams but as a mom I would be very concerned with it. First of all, not all parents can afford to move with their cps to the other states and I would not be comfortable sending my kid to live across country with someone I don't know (sorry but you don't always know what happens behind close doors.) Secondly, what honestly happens if the athlete has a career ending injury and has to what? come home and start over in a new school, leave their friends and deal with that loss away from their family and support system. There are also so many other factors that dictate whether or not an athlete gets a scholarship or not, yes you need the skills but you also have to the grades to get into that school. Lets face it you can do a million whip doubles in a row but if you can't pass your math SAT then you might have a problem. I think a lot of people forget that these cps are student athletes... student comes first for me and for my kids. For me I would want to be there everyday and make sure that my cp was not only getting the best cheer instruction that she/ her can get but I would also want to make sure that they are doing well in school, are having fun, making friends, and are just plain happy! If you make the decision to move your kid then that is completely up to you and every family is different and makes decisions based on what they think is best for their child but I don't think it would be the right move for my family
You hit the nail on the head!! My company provides their employees with free multiple seminars for parents of high schoolers who are planning for college, and one of the most important items in getting into college is a consistent school transcript. These college admission professionals said that if you can keep your child at one high school that it will help in their admission applications.

I have a friend who's been at the same gym since she was at least 5. Her mom is the assistant director for this small gym and won't let her daughter cheer anywhere else. She has her double, standing full, and skills through to double and the gym only goes up to level 3 and a not so competitive level four. I totally understand moving to a gym that houses worlds teams in this situation. She doesn't get a chance to showcase her skills at all.

Eventually, as a customer, you have to decide if your getting what you are paying for. Yes gyms merge, new programs open and gyms close for a variety of reasons. Looking at it from a parents perspective my question is this. Why would I PAY for my level 5 athlete to compete on a level 3 team because that is all the gym can produce?
It may have NOTHING to do with name recognition but over all talent pool, the willingness and ability to compete at the highest level. Athletes outgrow programs it's a fact of life. So why hold back an elite athlete, which are few and far between, to the lowest common denominator?

Eventually, as a customer, you have to decide if your getting what you are paying for. Yes gyms merge, new programs open and gyms close for a variety of reasons. Looking at it from a parents perspective my question is this. Why would I PAY for my level 5 athlete to compete on a level 3 team because that is all the gym can produce?
It may have NOTHING to do with name recognition but over all talent pool, the willingness and ability to compete at the highest level. Athletes outgrow programs it's a fact of life. So why hold back an elite athlete, which are few and far between, to the lowest common denominator?
This is our situation almost exactly.... We have been with the same coaches for most of my daughters life, she has been on teams since she was 5. This year all they were going to be able to field is a restricted 5, and with my experience feel that was pushing the 80% rule. We left the coaches we love and respect, and taught my daughter all her skills for a team she could use her skills. It was very bittersweet because I love her coaches deeply, they are just like our family. But at the end of the day, I had to do what was right for my daughter who will be a Senior this year. She had an awesome tryout, and as of this morning is now on CEA SSX!!!! I am really proud of her!!!

This is our situation almost exactly.... We have been with the same coaches for most of my daughters life, she has been on teams since she was 5. This year all they were going to be able to field is a restricted 5, and with my experience feel that was pushing the 80% rule. We left the coaches we love and respect, and taught my daughter all her skills for a team she could use her skills. It was very bittersweet because I love her coaches deeply, they are just like our family. But at the end of the day, I had to do what was right for my daughter who will be a Senior this year. She had an awesome tryout, and as of this morning is now on CEA SSX!!!! I am really proud of her!!!
i am so happy for her. She is amazing. :)

Back