All-Star Trends You Hope Will Die After Worlds 2014

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Subjective scoring. I will take huge poofs, crappy voice overs, and obnoxious stomping over whack rankings and these "ghost deductions" :banghead: I don't understand why there isn't a universal scoresheet yet. IT WOULD SIMPLIFY SO MUCH IN THE INDUSTRY>

I suppose it's less of an issue to me if it's outside of practice/competition setting. (For example, if you want professional pictures done in your uniform, wear whatever jewelry you want.) But I don't know, I guess I just think it doesn't look very clean/athletic. That, and there are "no jewelry" rules for a reason, and I've seen too many belly rings pulled or even torn out because no one wants to take them out for practice. At my gym there's a (I think pretty sensible) no jewelry rule, and I don't like the idea of younger girls seeing "cheerlebrities" on Instagram wearing it (at practice or competitions, of course). Just my personal opinion! (I should probably note that I don't think belly button rings are that cute anyway; probably because I've never been tiny enough to wear one!)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Last edited:
people being upset about getting 2nd/3rd. teams would KILL to be in your position. appreciate it.
Eeehhh..I get this in theory. However- when I was on youth sports, I was often on the more advanced teams (somewhat stacked- but what did I know? I was 8). I expected to win. Not winning was something that just didn't enter my mind. I remember that a team played against us in the first round of softball playoffs. They were so excited to get a hit off of us, because that was their expectations. I expected to win. If I had come in runner up, I would have NOT been happy. While I don't think you should pout, it's kinda ridiculous that it's demanded you should be sunshine and roses over coming in 3rd when there's a fair chance you could have won. That's just me though..

There are teams who are happy to make semis, and there are teams who put out gold-worthy routines every year. Different standards, different goals. Because your goal is gold, versus top 10, are you supposed to be happy with silver?

Eeehhh..I get this in theory. However- when I was on youth sports, I was often on the more advanced teams (somewhat stacked- but what did I know? I was 8). I expected to win. Not winning was something that just didn't enter my mind. I remember that a team played against us in the first round of softball playoffs. They were so excited to get a hit off of us, because that was their expectations. I expected to win. If I had come in runner up, I would have NOT been happy. While I don't think you should pout, it's kinda ridiculous that it's demanded you should be sunshine and roses over coming in 3rd when there's a fair chance you could have won. That's just me though..

There are teams who are happy to make semis, and there are teams who put out gold-worthy routines every year. Different standards, different goals. Because your goal is gold, versus top 10, are you supposed to be happy with silver?
i do get it to a certain point, i think they just need to put it in hindsight. you're getting 2nd in the WORLD. out of a high amount of teams. globing is an amazing accomplishment that many people won't ever get to achieve. i think athletes just tend to forget that sometimes. and i will say that this year has been much better (from what i've seen) of athletes on most teams. most seem to have great sportsmanship and know how to both win and lose graciously. don't get me wrong i do understand being disappointed from coming up a little short of first, i just personally don't feel that twitter/instagram is the place to broadcast it.. my absolute favorite thing to see is teams getting soo excited to even globe. as an example, watching the girls from flyers allstars being announced as top 2 was priceless. favorite part of the weekend!

I know you didn't just saythat dads were wearing cheer bows.... I get it in the context of a joke, but trying to live through your cheer daughter by wearing one is a little odd.
Wish I could say I had not seen dads with bows, but alas....I cannot :D I follow a twitter account about Mom's with bows and have definitely seen dads with them too....

I agree that the wording of the rule is extreme and that a quick hug isn't a big deal, but I think that they're just trying to make it as black & white as possible. Quick hugs and high fives aren't what made this rule necessary, teams that made a big production of their celebration are, and I'm willing to bet that any gray area would be quickly abused and argued by some teams.

It's just frustrating to read so many posts from people that are acting like the USASF is preventing people from celebrating anywhere, ever, at all, because they want to suck all the joy and happiness out of the world. They're just trying to tackle one more logistical issue so maybe someday Worlds will be able to run on time.

Yes! I know everyone is mad and convinced that the usasf is just trying to crush souls with this rule, but it's because people don't understand what "quick hug" means. That's not a black and white phrase - "quick hug" means something different to everyone; "no hug" is very clear, and means the same thing to everyone. People are forgetting that they made the rule for a reason. If people didn't feel the need to spend 5-10 minutes prancing around the perimeter of the mat, waving to the entire audience, and then hugging and rolling around on the floor for 5 more minutes... There would be no rule. Stop making it sound like the rule was made because a couple people excitedly hugged each other after a routine.

But how do you make a rule that makes it clear which is ok? You can't, so you just make a blanket rule. (Most rules come about this way - a few people go too far and everyone gets a new rule. Just like the cover up rule and the new uniform guidelines.)

Yes! I know everyone is mad and convinced that the usasf is just trying to crush souls with this rule, but it's because people don't understand what "quick hug" means. That's not a black and white phrase - "quick hug" means something different to everyone; "no hug" is very clear, and means the same thing to everyone. People are forgetting that they made the rule for a reason. If people didn't feel the need to spend 5-10 minutes prancing around the perimeter of the mat, waving to the entire audience, and then hugging and rolling around on the floor for 5 more minutes... There would be no rule. Stop making it sound like the rule was made because a couple people excitedly hugged each other after a routine.

But how do you make a rule that makes it clear which is ok? You can't, so you just make a blanket rule. (Most rules come about this way - a few people go too far and everyone gets a new rule. Just like the cover up rule and the new uniform guidelines.)

I think people are still upset about this rule in particular because it came with the added note about 'boys and excessive theatricality' aka somewhat singling out what they classified as 'gay' behavior. Or at least that's part of the reason I'm still upset :)

The USASF has a wonderful habit of creating rules that in theory make sense, but have TERRIBLE execution. I get what they're trying to prevent: teams taking an actual 5 minutes to get set for a 2:30 min routine. They could have easily said: you have 20 seconds to get off the mat after your performance. It would still keep things running smoothly, but they wouldn't have that fear of a quick hug post-euphoria hug when they're done before running off for a full celebration. They still take 2-5 minutes in between teams anyway. 20 seconds would get what they needed without feeling like they're focusing on minute, stupid things (like a high-five) instead of the big picture.

Double-double rule: trying to prevent injury from people attempting a skill when they 'aren't ready', yet I'd wager more kids are injured due to the janky back handsprings they aren't penalizing. (They also slid this rule in without coach's approval/contacting the one person in this industry who has done more tumbling work than almost anyone aka Debbie Love)

I think people are still upset about this rule in particular because it came with the added note about 'boys and excessive theatricality' aka somewhat singling out what they classified as 'gay' behavior. Or at least that's part of the reason I'm still upset :)

The USASF has a wonderful habit of creating rules that in theory make sense, but have TERRIBLE execution. I get what they're trying to prevent: teams taking an actual 5 minutes to get set for a 2:30 min routine. They could have easily said: you have 20 seconds to get off the mat after your performance. It would still keep things running smoothly, but they wouldn't have that fear of a quick hug post-euphoria hug when they're done before running off for a full celebration. They still take 2-5 minutes in between teams anyway. 20 seconds would get what they needed without feeling like they're focusing on minute, stupid things (like a high-five) instead of the big picture.

Double-double rule: trying to prevent injury from people attempting a skill when they 'aren't ready', yet I'd wager more kids are injured due to the janky back handsprings they aren't penalizing. (They also slid this rule in without coach's approval/contacting the one person in this industry who has done more tumbling work than almost anyone aka Debbie Love)

Agreed.

Back