All-Star Tryout Stress Anyone?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And one last thing, just so no one thinks I'm a huge meanie:

There is nothing wrong with being upset with your placement. It's normal.

However, if you think your kid is really not well suited for a Level 1 team (and you're not just feeding off of your kid being mad) it's okay to maybe look elsewhere at another gym.

Keep in mind that some gyms put all non-tumblers on Level 1. Some will put non-tumblers onto a Level 2 if they are at L2 in stunting. It just depends.

Sometimes I feel like when we added levels, we added a ranking system for others to compare and rank kids that at times causes more trouble than good.

Can we go back to Novice/Intermediate/Advanced? (/old lady rant)

I also think its fair to add that you need to take in account what position your cp is. You can not compare your side base level 2 girl with no tumbling to a backspot newly made level 3 girl that has only a backhandspring.
Each team is like a mini corporation that places each cp in a job opening.
It is easier to try and start with tumbling levels and "interview" .
Just like you or I the most qualified candidate will get the job and rhe coaches are the employers that get to choose.
When a child gets "transferred' to another team there may be a slew of reasons you may never even think of especially if you havent seen the team yet.
I feel bad for your CP but perhaps having an adult conversation with all the coaches effected and your daughter and yourself can possibly give you something you can chew on before you or your cp make a decision.
Its not wrong to ask for the reason behind the decision. My advice is only to talk about your kid and leave everyone else out of it.

Being moved down is different than not moving up.

Just now reading this.

That is a little different.

I will say that as a HS coach, I have had kids not make my Varsity team and end up on JV after being on Varsity the year before. Situation is similar as it is a "bump down." (JV = optional tumbling. Varsity requires tumbling so if you lost your tumbling during the season, you will generally not make it again.)

It is not easy as a coach to make those decisions.

You can ask what their rationale is, maybe they'll share that with you.

I will say that I am more open to those conversations if someone asks and is honestly trying to find out what the rationale was, not accuse us of being unfair.

I'm not saying that you're doing that, but I have had folks ask when they are really just looking for a way to ask me how someone else's kid made it, to tell me I'm unfair, or ask me to change my mind.

Sorry, not sure where to put this. I believe when you have competed with a gym all season they should give you warning if your CP will be moved down/demoted. Continually telling you that your child is awesome and a rock star, then moving them down is misleading and hurtful.
I'm being very daring even replying to this since I posted something similar on another thread and it received a lot of feedback. We were warned of the move down and as promised she is in level 1 practices for the next 2wks until teams are announced. However my CP feels like a 'loser'in her words to be moved down, and 'it's embarrassing'. I have thought a lot about what the posters told me on the other thread and decision is her. Honestly I'm sick of seeing her cry. This is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and she is crying. Last yr she was good enough for lvl 2 bc there weren't enough people at tryouts for lvl1 but this year there is so she is bumped down due to tumbling. IRONICALLY I find out that another cheerleader is being asked to move to higher level that doesn't have the tumbling for that level, after we were told gym placements were by tumbling level. I guess its good for some and not others. Needless to say, decision is on CP if she wants to do it or not until team reveal. So in all yes it's misleading but if our CP are truly at the level they're moved to then can we really be mad at that, or mad they were put on the wrong level the previous season. Honestly I'm just over it for my CP and it may be end of road for me if she decides not to do it.

It must be so hard to see that. I understand how difficult it is to feel as though she doesn't have a team that is the right fit for her. Many people would say it is about the team but that doesn't make her feel any better. I hope it works out for you both!

I see why you and your daughter are upset, but if they gym would have had enough level 1 athletes last year, she would have been on that team, correct? And now the gym will have an appropriate level team. Would you and your daughter still be upset if she had been on level 1 last year and this year?

I see why you and your daughter are upset, but if they gym would have had enough level 1 athletes last year, she would have been on that team, correct? And now the gym will have an appropriate level team. Would you and your daughter still be upset if she had been on level 1 last year and this year?
I can't honestly answer that because I don't think she would've done a level 1 team last year by her choice. She has never been on anything less than a 2 her entire cheer career so this is a 'slap in the face' in her words. I just can't sell my daughter on Level 1.We've talked about it now that I've told her maybe she should just relax this year, do L1 and focus on tumbling and her response was 'this is humiliating Mom. I'm going to be 15 on a level 1 team.No'. So the ball is in her court when team placements come out at this point. I'm stepping out but if she for sure doesn't do it I think this may end her cheer career most certainly. I can't talk her out of the 'degraded' feeling she has.

I can't honestly answer that because I don't think she would've done a level 1 team last year by her choice. She has never been on anything less than a 2 her entire cheer career so this is a 'slap in the face' in her words. I just can't sell my daughter on Level 1.We've talked about it now that I've told her maybe she should just relax this year, do L1 and focus on tumbling and her response was 'this is humiliating Mom. I'm going to be 15 on a level 1 team.No'. So the ball is in her court when team placements come out at this point. I'm stepping out but if she for sure doesn't do it I think this may end her cheer career most certainly. I can't talk her out of the 'degraded' feeling she has.
Would it maybe help to show up videos of level one senior teams that kill it? Just because its level one doesn't mean it can't be creative. It seems like level one teams are creative due to the restrictions they have.

Just now reading this.

That is a little different.

I will say that as a HS coach, I have had kids not make my Varsity team and end up on JV after being on Varsity the year before. Situation is similar as it is a "bump down." (JV = optional tumbling. Varsity requires tumbling so if you lost your tumbling during the season, you will generally not make it again.)

It is not easy as a coach to make those decisions.

You can ask what their rationale is, maybe they'll share that with you.

I will say that I am more open to those conversations if someone asks and is honestly trying to find out what the rationale was, not accuse us of being unfair.

I'm not saying that you're doing that, but I have had folks ask when they are really just looking for a way to ask me how someone else's kid made it, to tell me I'm unfair, or ask me to change my mind.
I coach JV at our HS and we are the same, non tumblers do not make varsity period! I have never had a Varsity cheerleader come to my team. There is too much social status in a negative light about being on 'JV'. Our jv has come so far since I took over and made them competitive but there is a stigma attached with lower levels. And not defending my CP but she
Would it maybe help to show up videos of level one senior teams that kill it? Just because its level one doesn't mean it can't be creative. It seems like level one teams are creative due to the restrictions they have.
I did that. Especially since my JV team is not as accelerated stuntwise as the varsity team I need the creativity . So I am admittedly a you tube freak. She is a hard sell and she's not budging. I don't think the approach the coach took was right and this is why she feels this way. She's not even arguing the level 1 practices, now she is looking at other things that are being done. This whole thing is becoming a nightmare. She just came downstairs and told me about the other girls being asked to go to level 3,4 practices that only have bh and are in L2 practices. I saw that but I didn't say anything to her. Now she wants to know why she isn't going to other practices for teams she's being considered for. I don't have these answers and I feel like if I send an email or ask the gym I'm being looked at as petty. In actuality it looks like my daughter is being treated unfairly because other girls are being asked to move up to other level practices outside of their tumbling level and she is not, even though she was told she is in running for 3 teams if she gets tumbling. I did not tell my daughter this but I honestly feel like the owner needs girls to fill the level 1 team as of right now there are only 11, my CP being the 11th. She needs level 1 girls and right now my daughter fits the bill perfectly. There are already enough girls for her senior 2 and 4.2 teams so my CP is not needed there. So I honestly feel like they are setting my CP up to remain L1 to fill a team,even if she gets tumbling. I could be wrong so that's why I'm just going to stay quiet and see what unfolds in the next two weeks. FYI. CP tumbling coach told me she has ROBH on her own, only standing is left and she is close so L2 is not unrealistic at this point. AGHHH

I did that. Especially since my JV team is not as accelerated stuntwise as the varsity team I need the creativity . So I am admittedly a you tube freak. She a hard sell and she's not budging. I don't think the approach the coach took was right and this is why she feels this way. She's not even arguing the level 1 practices, now she is looking at other things that are being done. This whole thing is becoming a nightmare. She just came downstairs and told me about the other girls being asked to go to level 3,4 practices that only have bh and are in L2 practices. I saw that but I didn't say anything to her. Now she wants to know why she isn't going to other practices for teams she's being considered for. I don't have these answers and I feel like if I send an email or ask the gym I'm being looked at as petty. In actuality it looks like my daughter is being treated unfairly because other girls are being asked to move up to other level practices outside of their tumbling level and she is not, even though she was told she is in running for 3 teams if she gets tumbling. I did not tell my daughter this but I honestly feel like the owner needs girls to fill the level 1 team as of right now there are only 11, my CP being the 11th. She needs level 1 girls and right now my daughter fits the bill perfectly. There are already enough girls for her senior 2 and 4.2 teams so my CP us not needed there. So I honestly feel like setting my CP up to remain L1 to fill a team,even if she gets tumbling. I could be wrong so that's why I'm just going to stay quiet and see what unfolds in the next two weeks. FYI. CP tumbling coach told me she has ROBH on her own, only standing is left and she is close so L2 is not unrealistic at this point. AGHHH

Maybe it's time to take a step back.

Yes, your kid is mad and that is hard.

Take a few days to not talk about it.

Don't email the gym.

Don't even mention it.

If she brings it up, put the ball in her court.

In a week, if she's still upset, then talk options.

Geez you know me so well already!! Ha ha ha. I wrote up an email...then deleted it. I'm not going to say anything because I don't want to be that Mom. I can be that Mom here to you guys because I'm just being my honest self but in reality I would not want to do anything to jeopardize the way my daughter is looked at or how our family is looked at or treated in the gym. I told her, my CP,that the ball is in her court. I have to stay back and pull myself out of it for my own sanity.

I always find it's generally harder to make a team with each successive year. I would never warn someone they may not make a team, because until I see who comes in to tryouts, how would I know? Non tumblers are (or should be) always the exception on any team. Especially in recent years and definitely going forward. Everyone I know is restructuring how they are building teams. Most gyms are looking for a complete mastery of level to be placed on that team. This means someone with basic level tumbling skills no longer qualifies for that level. This shift has been happening over the last few seasons, but it seems the entire industry has bought into this mindset this year.

Geez you know me so well already!! Ha ha ha. I wrote up an email...then deleted it. I'm not going to say anything because I don't want to be that Mom. I can be that Mom here to you guys because I'm just being my honest self but in reality I would not want to do anything to jeopardize the way my daughter is looked at or how our family is looked at or treated in the gym. I told her, my CP,that the ball is in her court. I have to stay back and pull myself out of it for my own sanity.

Good, just leave it that way.

This is her sport and this is her decision. Give her some time to cool off about the placements. Let her talk to her coaches about possibly moving up.

I wonder if she feels you might be disappointed in her for being on Level 1. Have you told her that you are proud of her no matter what level she makes? That might help.

If you truly believe that your daughter is being mistreated (try looking at it as though you aren't her mom, but she's the kid of someone else) then maybe try a different gym?

Back