All-Star Tryout Stress Anyone?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Good, just leave it that way.

This is her sport and this is her decision. Give her some time to cool off about the placements. Let her talk to her coaches about possibly moving up.

I wonder if she feels you might be disappointed in her for being on Level 1. Have you told her that you are proud of her no matter what level she makes? That might help.

If you truly believe that your daughter is being mistreated (try looking at it as though you aren't her mom, but she's the kid of someone else) then maybe try a different gym?
I actually think she would be a kick butt level 1. Since she already knows level 2,1 would be a breeze and she would shine but she feels it wouldnt be fun. I can't argue with her feelings. I did look at the tryout placements and being honest there is favoritism there. The coach/owner told all of us no crossovers. What do I see? Crossovers. The coach/owner said no going out of level. What do I see? Athletes asked to go out of level. Ex. A flyer w/o L5tumbling on the L5roster. L2/L3 athletes being asked to go to L4 practices.The consistency is there when it fits for them and who they want it to fit for. So if CP was being considered for possibly 1 of 2 L2 teams,why was she excluded from the L2 practices. She is no diffent than the others who are being asked to attend the practices out if their level. Which leads me to think there is no intention of moving CP out of level 1,regardless if she throws this bh or not. But again I just shut my mouth bc I don't know what this coach is thinking at any given moment

No I wish! I have asked them repeatedly to take me on so I can get out of high school coaching. I've coached the half yr teams but I want more than that. Don't get me wrong I don't know it all but all star coaching is my goal

Sounds like your cp is focusing on what others will think of her being level 1. Or that others are being invited to do things she is not. She needs to take a step back & realize she is still a great cheerleader. Maybe the coach thinks she will be a good leader for the level 1 athletes. Level 1 can do some amazing things. I'm sure with her level 1 tumbling experience & past stunting experiences the coach needs her to offset the inexperienced athletes that may be level 1. Another theory is they are trying to motivate her to gain her level 2 skills. We had Seniors on our level 1 they didn't mind when they were winning jackets & rings.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can't honestly answer that because I don't think she would've done a level 1 team last year by her choice. She has never been on anything less than a 2 her entire cheer career so this is a 'slap in the face' in her words. I just can't sell my daughter on Level 1.We've talked about it now that I've told her maybe she should just relax this year, do L1 and focus on tumbling and her response was 'this is humiliating Mom. I'm going to be 15 on a level 1 team.No'. So the ball is in her court when team placements come out at this point. I'm stepping out but if she for sure doesn't do it I think this may end her cheer career most certainly. I can't talk her out of the 'degraded' feeling she has.
There's nothing wrong with being on level 1. We have some 16 and 17 year olds on senior 1 but they still have fun and like cheer.

The other day one of my friends on fbook that is an all star coach posted (or shared)

"I never hear anyone complaining about what level they made when they're winning titles"

Like let go, and let God. Try to accept the fact that the coaches placed you and everyone else where they felt you were needed, would perform the best, and would win

If you can't convince yourself that...or its proven to not be true,
then take your money and roll bounce somewhere else. Simple as that. Tell that gym bye. #gymbye #sorryIaintsorry. Do what ya gotta do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other day one of my friends on fbook that is an all star coach posted (or shared)

"I never hear anyone complaining about what level they made when they're winning titles"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, coaches love to say this. I can say with certainty there are exceptions to that rule ;)

there are some kids who are comfortable being 18 on sr1, my child is not. She knows that she is better than that, the coach told her that she is better than that, and only tumbling holds her back. It didn't make sense to me that you would tell someone that they could be on your 4.2 team in one breath and in the next breath tell them that they are only level 1. Regardless the decision is my daughters and if she doesn't get the bh and she's on level 1 then she doesn't want to do it. I can't convince her and quite frankly I believe even if she went in there and threw a round-off back-handspring tuck she would still be kept on level one and then we will be out.bye Felicia

@Crazy Cheer Mom, I hate to write this, but after reading most of your posts, especially, this last one... I think, it will be best for the sake of the team (Sr 1) that your daughter retire from this sport or tryout at a different gym. The other athletes on the Sr. 1 team will feed off the negativity of your daughter and it might adversely affect they self-esteem and their performance... I really do not understand the thinking process of the coaches involved, but at this point, I do know those athletes on the Sr. 1 team will be on the receiving end of the wrath of this decision, which is not fair!

PS: I must admit, I learned this the hard way!

I agree with @Pebbles49. If your daughter isn't happy, the rest of the team will see that and start to wonder why she thinks that shes too good to be on that team, even though her tumbling is level 1. In reality, your daughter is a true level 1 athlete. As much as it sucks, tumbling is a huge deciding factor of levels. Stunting is easier to teach than tumbling is. I went from nothing to level 3/4 stunting in a couple months. Tumbling however, after two years I still didn't have a back handspring. Allstar cheer doesn't need negative people that bring teams down. Parents spend too much money to have their athletes teams being brought down by negative people. However, I also think you are feeding into her negativity about level 1 saying that you couldn't see yourself paying for a season on level 1. If my parents told me that, I would take it as a blow and that my parents didn't believe in me.

I did not tell her that I wasn't paying for it. I posted here that I couldn't justify paying for it. I appreciate all your comments and I really would appreciate if the comments to me would end

Yes, coaches love to say this. I can say with certainty there are exceptions to that rule ;)

Yep. If I was on a level 4 team and had skills to be level 5 - even if I wasn't the strongest level 5 athlete - and saw people on the level 5 team who had less skills than me, it wouldn't matter if my team won Varsity's newest Universe Championship comp, I'd still complain and be dissatisfied with my placement.

Or if I was placed on a team that didn't travel to the comps I wanted to go to while the others did.

Or if I was 15 and on a junior team with all 11 year olds when my gym has countless senior teams I could've been placed on.

Families spend a lot of time and money on cheer. "Be happy with your placement because you're winning titles on it" isn't always going to make me a happy customer. Gyms like to forget that their customers are in fact customers and pay money for a service the second they complain about placements. In what other business would the seller say "be happy with what you got even if you aren't satisfied" to their customer? I can't think of any besides youth sports.

Last edited:
Maybe put it this way to your daughter: if she isn't going to be happy on level 1 at 15.... Would she be happy being stuck on level 2 when she's 18? maybe taking a year off from competition and just working on tumbling and going to open gym would be a good option?

I did not tell her that I wasn't paying for it. I posted here that I couldn't justify paying for it. I appreciate all your comments and I really would appreciate if the comments to me would end
I also said that you couldn't see yourself paying for it, which to me is the same as not being able to justify paying for it. Unfortunately, if you ask for advice on this board, you'll get advice you probably don't want to hear. Thats just how fierceboard is. I've been around for over six years and it has always been like this.

I always find it's generally harder to make a team with each successive year. I would never warn someone they may not make a team, because until I see who comes in to tryouts, how would I know? Non tumblers are (or should be) always the exception on any team. Especially in recent years and definitely going forward. Everyone I know is restructuring how they are building teams. Most gyms are looking for a complete mastery of level to be placed on that team. This means someone with basic level tumbling skills no longer qualifies for that level. This shift has been happening over the last few seasons, but it seems the entire industry has bought into this mindset this year.

Completely on-board with this line of thinking. This year going into tryouts, athletes and parents were told the following:
  • Everyone works from a levels skills assessment sheet. When an athlete masters all skills, they are deemed competitive at that level and are cleared to work on the next level skills. It does not mean the athlete will automatically be placed on a higher level competition team.

Back