Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 20, 2017
Hi Everyone ,

So I was hoping to get some opinions . My daughter is going to be 7 , she started all star cheer 2 seasons ago she competed her first season on a tiny team and her second season on a mini 1 team . She has been a flyer both seasons , she is at the max on all her tumble 2 skills and has been for half of her first season and all of this season she is currently learning level 3 tumbling skills and has a rotuck and hand tuck working on punch fronts .. she is currently going to level 2 tryouts and has all the tumble however I am being told she doesn't know how to stunt level 2 , our gym does not offer stunt classes so how would she ever learn to stunt level 2 without being placed on a level 2 team , I have also paid for 2 privates a week for the last 2 years ? Is it fair for my daughter to be held on a level 1 team because she can't stunt level 2 Bc she was never taught ?

Short answer, yes. At our gym, flyers learn to fly the next level in stunt privates. If you want to fly, it's your responsibility to put in the extra time to get the skills. Were you paying specifically for stunt privates, and if so what were they working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short answer, yes. At our gym, flyers learn to fly the next level in stunt privates. If you want to fly, it's your responsibility to put in the extra time to get the skills. Were you paying specifically for stunt privates, and if so what were they working.

I asked for stunting privates and the coach stated she could work stunting drills but without bases and a back spot she couldn't work the actual stunts and I asked numerous times

Who is saying she'll be held on a level 1 team? If she has all her level 2 tumbling, bring her to the level 2 tryouts. She'll learn to stunt level 2 during the season.

Who is saying she'll be held on a level 1 team? If she has all her level 2 tumbling, bring her to the level 2 tryouts. She'll learn to stunt level 2 during the season.
She went to the level 2 tryouts they were a total of 6 hrs over 3 days and on one of the days she was thrown out of the gym for not knowing how to do a level 2 stunt and saying she was nervous , mind you she didn't know 2 of the 3 people in the stunt group since they are new so on top of a new stunt she didn't have trust in her group, on another day I was told if we are going to use her on level 2 she needs to be confident stunting and another day I was told well she leans in her lib to heal stretch , and if she doesn't make level 2 it will be because of the stunting since she excels in the tumbling . I'm at a loss of what to do . I am not going to continue to pay for just a level 1 team for a 3rd season when my daughter is maxed out on her level 2 tumbling and I've paid this gym for 2 privates a week for the last 2 season and have asked for stunting privates . Her jumps are also very good so that's not even an issue

IME...I have never heard of a gym holding back a child at those ages & levels bc stunting is not perfected. Typically, they'd be thrilled to have a young kid with maxed out level 2 tumbling on a young level 2 team. Unless you are at a mega gym that has the luxury of a plethora of experienced athletes at all ages and levels...most realize that the stunt groups will be a work in progress and will teach both flyers and bases. Flyer class is helpful, too...but I think as long as she stretches at home she will learn the mechanics at practice.

IME...I have never heard of a gym holding back a child at those ages & levels bc stunting is not perfected. Typically, they'd be thrilled to have a young kid with maxed out level 2 tumbling on a young level 2 team. Unless you are at a mega gym that has the luxury of a plethora of experienced athletes at all ages and levels...most realize that the stunt groups will be a work in progress and will teach both flyers and bases. Flyer class is helpful, too...but I think as long as she stretches at home she will learn the mechanics at practice.
Yes and we are not a mega gym ! We aren't a d2 gym but we aren't huge ! She is very flexible and is definitely coachable as I've been told by all the coaches she has worked with , our gym just seems to have this issue of moving kids up who have been here longer instead of the kids who actually have the skills! It's a sad situation . And i am in an area where we don't have many gyms to chose from . So I feel as though I am being forced to chose half year since the tryout process isn't like this or be forced to another gym after all the money I have invested here

@CheerMomx1, I read your posts with much interest and all I was thinking was that this might be a classic case of a child outgrowing the home gym and maybe it is a good time to branch out of your comfort zone, which this gym has become for you and your daughter... When my daughter was cheering at an AS cheer gym, I have seen really young athletes, such as your daughter (7yr old) being placed on a Y3 or Y5 team with just level 1 flying experience, but have advanced tumbling skills. These young flyers were taught stunting on these teams and were very successful because the flyers worked hard and were fully motivated to learn stunting...

Last edited:
@CheerMomx1, I read your posts with much interest and all I was thinking was that this might be a classic case of a child outgrowing the home gym and maybe it is a good time to branch out of your comfort zone, which this gym has become for you and your daughter... When my daughter was cheering at an AS cheer gym, I have seen really young athletes, such as your daughter (7yr old) being placed on a Y3 or Y5 team with just level 1 flying experience, but have advanced tumbling skills. These young flyers were taught stunting on these teams and were very successful because the flyers worked hard and were fully motivated to learning stunting...
It looks as though this is what I am going to have to do , it is just sad as I have made friends here as has my daughter and I had really hoped that this would be the gym she would grow in, but I feel as though the coaches would rather hold her back on the lower level team then to give her the chance to learn the stunting, I feel as though the coach who coaches the level 2 team just doesn't want my daughter on her team or because maybe a larger child would not be able to fly on that team anymore because my daughter is so small , she is only 42inches and 40lbs she was the smallest kid at the level 2 tryouts. It is very disheartening to feel this way.

The answer to this might also be to take her out of the air. Sounds to me like they have more level 2 flyers than they need, and others are out doing her. Would they be willing to let her do level 2 but not fly?

I'd do my research on the other gym options, do private tryouts, and then I'd talk to the current gym owner & give him your honest concern. I'd let them have the opportunity, but be prepared to go if necessary. They seem very foolish to not be thinking of the long-term, bigger picture.

I asked for stunting privates and the coach stated she could work stunting drills but without bases and a back spot she couldn't work the actual stunts and I asked numerous times

That's true for us too. Stunting privates cost more because you have to pay for multiple people.

The answer to this might also be to take her out of the air. Sounds to me like they have more level 2 flyers than they need, and others are out doing her. Would they be willing to let her do level 2 but not fly?

I have mentioned letting her do something else , but she is the smallest one on the team So she has a disadvantage , she doesn't care what position she is and neither do I , I just want her to have fun and enjoy the sport she has grown to love

I'd do my research on the other gym options, do private tryouts, and then I'd talk to the current gym owner & give him your honest concern. I'd let them have the opportunity, but be prepared to go if necessary. They seem very foolish to not be thinking of the long-term, bigger picture.
Thank you , I have started to research other gyms in the area and will be contacting them
For a private evaluation

She went to the level 2 tryouts they were a total of 6 hrs over 3 days and on one of the days she was thrown out of the gym for not knowing how to do a level 2 stunt and saying she was nervous , mind you she didn't know 2 of the 3 people in the stunt group since they are new so on top of a new stunt she didn't have trust in her group, on another day I was told if we are going to use her on level 2 she needs to be confident stunting and another day I was told well she leans in her lib to heal stretch , and if she doesn't make level 2 it will be because of the stunting since she excels in the tumbling . I'm at a loss of what to do . I am not going to continue to pay for just a level 1 team for a 3rd season when my daughter is maxed out on her level 2 tumbling and I've paid this gym for 2 privates a week for the last 2 season and have asked for stunting privates . Her jumps are also very good so that's not even an issue

They threw her out of the gym. Really???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back