All-Star Unethical Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I once had a competing gym call all the EPs on our schedule and inform them one of my kids was overage. Of course this wasn't true, but I had to prove it every competition. The kid in question was very tall, had just gotten her braces off and in no way looked young enough for the junior age. She was cheer age 13 that year. It drove me crazy all year because they were telling EPs we were cheating, based on the look of the child.

I once had a competing gym call all the EPs on our schedule and inform them one of my kids was overage. Of course this wasn't true, but I had to prove it every competition. The kid in question was very tall, had just gotten her braces off and in no way looked young enough for the junior age. She was cheer age 13 that year. It drove me crazy all year because they were telling EPs we were cheating, based on the look of the child.
Curious as to who did that lol

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Sidenote: The "SWEET LORD LOOK HOW TALL SHE IS SHE CAN'T BE YOUTH AGE!" thing is something in cheer that I don't like.

Children come in a variety of heights. I had a Y2 kid whom tons of peeps were like "There is no way she's really 11."

Yes, she might be about 5'5, but she is definitely 11.

Same thing with "SWEET LORD SHE'S 4'11 and 70 lbs! NO WAY SHE'S OLD ENOUGH FOR A SENIOR TEAM! I'M CALLING THE CHEER POLICE!"

Um, I was 5'0 and 90 in 10th grade! Some people are just small. Relax.
No she was definitely 12 in May PRIOR to the August date, we have known the family for years so definitely knew her age. Also another parent in our program had a nephew who was 16 that cheered on that gym's junior team.

A gym close to me has multiple crossovers from their senior 5 to senior 2. When I saw pictures at the first competition, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they were just crossing over that one competition because of someone quitting or an injury or something, but they've been crossing over all season. It annoys me every time I see the level 2 team win.

Do you think these teams sandbag to gain wins on the lower level teams because the higher level teams are not strong enough to win? Do they maybe only have the minimum number of "level 5" athletes to compete at that level as a team? I'm just playing devils advocate here. I have no real idea why a gym would do it, but it is certainly not fair to those true level 2 athletes to have true upper level 3-5 athletes competing against them. I thought that is the point of the level system. :/.

@mrsgarrett I admire the way you handled this fierce board situation but one more quick question if it has not been answered. Did the gym owner of the sub cheerleader(the one who took the spot of the sick cheerleader) know about your decision? I'm just curious here

It was just really annoying.

Even if I THINK a kid is over/under I don't say anything.

It's just really not worth it and it's really just what I THINK.

I've contested a lot of things, but age of a kid is not one of them.

I wasn't there when his/her mom gave birth and I don't have his birth cert. Not worth it!

Even if I THINK a kid is over/under I don't say anything.

It's just really not worth it and it's really just what I THINK.

I've contested a lot of things, but age of a kid is not one of them.

I wasn't there when his/her mom gave birth and I don't have his birth cert. Not worth it!
This is why all cheerleaders should be officially registered. Their birth certificates and photos in a database already sorted by gym that can be pulled up if contested. And if a gym is found to have violated, dq them from that comp on the spot and fine them. It would put an end to all the nonsense and accusations - false or warranted.

I do think there needs to be some way of outing gyms that have been caught violating the Age Grid. Even if it is just a Thread of Shame on here. Maybe it would make some gyms think twice about trying to get away with it.

That would have been at one time my then 12 year old, almost 5 foot 7 inch, daughter who was asked to cross over to youth one year. I firmly declined. If I was an EP I would have asked for a birth certificate.

Back